Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colbert-Steelers could be more active in FA this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Ike at his current salary is a no-go. Period. He's getting cut or reducing his pay, which he seems willing to do. He knows full well he wouldn't get that on the open market. I think he's back next year and they save some cash there.

I think they just extend Troy and Miller at reasonable prices. That frees up cap. If either guy disagrees, you cut them. People talk about leadership and sentimentality...bottom line is those guys have 1 year left on their deals. You could take the money you lose there and sign someone younger who will be part of this team for the long haul. Neither guy played like they were top 5 at their position, and they don't deserve to be paid as such. Both are among the top 1-2 cap charges at their spots.

I think the team targets three areas in FA. Secondary, DL, and LT. They aren't going to be last year's Dolphins or anything crazy, but I think they target at least one guy they intend to be a starter and pay him good money. Maybe two such players if they can afford it.

And I think they definitely intend to keep Worilds. His payday will dictate a lot here. I've laid out plans already that freed up significant (like 20m before we knew about extra cap space) room to maneuver. There were a few moves I didn't make when I did that, such as restructuring Timmons.

Quote:

He thinks this team needs it from a depth standpoint. Yeah you need that. But first you need the first row of guys.

Colbert actually said did say that.

Quote:
I still remember him getting his hips turned around by Blazing Speed 31 year old Greg Jennings.

I remember him missing a tackle in his first game back from injury. Had nothing to do with his athletic ability.

Quote:
I don't like Cotchery at all. I'll take my money and put it on red before giving a guy like him anything. You're conservative you think he can replicate the numbers, I understand it.

Cotchery isn't going to get a payday. He's old and a niche guy. He moves the chains and is nifty in the redzone. He finds holes in coverages. You're insane if you think the team should let 2 of their top 3 WR core walk when they are trying to implement more no-huddle. You don't want a revolving door at the position.

Quote:

where are you seeing this? Last i heard the cap was about 126.xM with the NFLPU looking to use their 2M option to move it to 128.xM

Just announced today.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CKSteeler" Neither guy played like they were top 5 at their position, and they don't deserve to be paid as such.[/quote]

CK I normally leave your post alone for the most part because I agree the majority of the time.

But.......Troy was Top 5-7 last season. He had issues and isn't as dominant, but still super impactful. The ones I can't argue with that are better mainly because of age and upside. Thomas, Berry and Jarius Byrd have a true legit argument for the top spot. There is less of a argument for Ward McCourty or Weddle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
[quote="CKSteeler" Neither guy played like they were top 5 at their position, and they don't deserve to be paid as such.

CK I normally leave your post alone for the most part because I agree the majority of the time.

But.......Troy was Top 5-7 last season. He had issues and isn't as dominant, but still super impactful. The ones I can't argue with that are better mainly because of age and upside. Thomas, Berry and Jarius Byrd have a true legit argument for the top spot. There is less of a argument for Ward McCourty or Weddle.[/quote]

Yep.

Troy is on the slide, but I still think he has some left. And with Clark gone and Ike likely gone as well, we need that veteran presence next year.

The only reason they should cut Troy is if they really dont care if they do much in 2014 and are just looking to set things up for future years.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy was still arguably one of the top SS's last year. I think we can get a couple more good years out of him if we improve our secondary. He's not the same guy in coverage he was in '08 or even '11, and he wasn't getting much help back there with Clark and Taylor not looking good last year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Troy extended for another three years, so I haven't written him off. Facts are facts, though. At his age, with his injury history (I'm not sold on his training regiment having solved anything), you are likely paying for a safety on the tailend of his career who could easily miss a few games or more any given season.

Earl Thomas has played 16 games 4/4 seasons.
Kam Chancellor has missed 1 game in 4 seasons due to injury.
Byrd was banged up twice in his career if you count this last one when he held out. Otherwise, three mostly healthy seasons of 5.
Eric Weddle has played 16 games 5/7 seasons. Hasn't missed a game since 2009.
Eric Berry has missed one game due to injury in 3 of his seasons. Outside the catastrophic injury any player can suffer, he's played.

Polamalu is batting about 50% in his career by those standards and will be 34 next season.

I would wager that on the market he would get 6-7 mil a year, and most likely the contract would be structured in a way that he could be cut with little penalty.

So, I suggest bringing his base salaries and cap charges down to reflect that value. He gets another three years, a commitment from the team, and they save cap space. As it stands now, he's counting 11m against the cap with a base salary of over 8m.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: