Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Prospect’s: Gimmie Yo Top 5!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: NFL Draft Prospect’s: Gimmie Yo Top 5! Reply with quote

Throw out all the draft rankings, team needs and personal bias towards your favorite college players for a minute. I’m taking to you solely as a Saints fan! I want you to give me the top 5 2014 NFL draft prospects (in order) that you would most like to see in the black and gold next season.

I’m not looking for someone you think will fill a need or even who you think is the best players in this draft are… I want to know your personal all it be selfish preference of who YOU want to see the Saints select at 27th overall.

All prospects are open, imagine your top 5 FAVORITE players have for whatever reason fallen to #27, in order… who ya takin?

Worm’s top 5… in order!

#5. Jarvis Landry [WR; Louisiana State]

Landry is the only receiver on my list and he’s a prime example of what I’m looking for ya’ll to give. By no means am I saying that Jarvis Landry is the best receiver in this draft but what I am saying is if I had my personal choice of any receiver in this class… it would be Jarvis Landry!

I read somewhere, someone was comparing Landry’s game to that of former Steeler great Hines Ward and I think that’s an extremely fair comparison. Landry doesn’t possess game changing speed but he’s no slouch either in the speed dept. However it’s Landry’s toughness, sure hands, competitive spirit, leadership and character that simply set him apart for me. I know I may be in the minority on this but I absolutely believe that Jarvis Landry will be a 1st round pick and some team will land a great player and even better person as a Stallworth for their franchise.

#4. Timmy Jernigan [DT; Florida State]

I am in LOVE with Jernigan’s versatility!!! This Florida State Seminole is a true disruptive force on the interior of the defense but I believe he’s much more that the label of under tackle. Jernigan is a monster versus the run and in this new age of NFL defense’s where teams are looking for penetrators who stop the run on the way to causing havoc, Jernigan is the ideal model.

Very similar to that of Seattle Seahawks nose tackle Brandon MeBane, Jernigan is a thickly built run defender with elite penetrating qualities and a high potential as an interior pass rusher but it’s his versatility that sets him apart. At 6’2” 310 lbs, Jernigan has played all over the Seminole defensive line in their multi set scheme. Jernigan has played as an under tackle and nose in a 43 alignment as well as a penetrating nose guard and 5 tec in a 3 man front and he’s excelled at every one of those positions. Timmy Jernigan is a player that despite having a very impressive college career, will eventually have a much more successful NFL career as he moves forward onto the next level.

#3. Calvin Pryor [FS; Louisville]

The first thing that jumps out on screen about Calvin Pryor is his ability to simply blast ball carriers! I’ll admit that for this reason alone Pryor has won me over because in the age of an NFL that in many ways is becoming soft, it’s extremely valuable to have that physical enforcer roaming your secondary… Just ask the Seattle Seahawks! However, laying jaw dropping hits will not make you a 1st rounder in today’s NFL and it’s Pryor’s range that truly impresses. For a guy 6’2” 208 lbs the way he is able to cover the field from sideline to sideline is special and his instincts doubles him as a playmaker who has a reputation of always being around the ball. So when you factor all those aspects together you get a phenomenal talent in my opinion and that’s why Calvin Pryor sits at #3 here on my list.

#2. Khalil Mack [OLB; Buffalo]

I currently have Khalil Mack rated as my 2nd best overall defender in this class but if given the opportunity I’d draft him over South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney’s work ethic really concerns me and despite his massive potential he is still a underachieving player when you look at his skill set and ability. Not like Mack… Mack is an example of a person who has taken every bit of god given ability he’s been blessed with and has utilized it to its full potential. Every ounce of Mack’s abilities is on display every time he takes the field and I fully expect that to carry over into Sundays.

I think Mack is ver comparable to that of Denver Bronco star pass rusher Von Miller when Miller was coming out of A&M. While Mack may not possess the elite burst that Miller does, his get off is still impressive but Mack’s toughness against the run and ability to set the edge is (in my opinion) superior to that of Miller making Mack a potentially more well-rounded NFL player at the next level.

#1 Greg Robinson [OT; Auburn]

The big boy from Thibodaux, Louisiana has been my top prospect in of the 2014 NFL draft class for some time now and he’s also the top player on my favorite’s list. Former Seahawks great and HOF offensive lineman Walter Jones was one of the best football players I’ve ever seen and Robinson possesses many of the qualities that made Walter great. From a sheer size and build standpoint Robinson is elite. He possesses a thick powerful lower half but is extremely fluid in his movements. His feet are light and quick and he bends at the knees and not the waist. Robinson is able to use these features to generate tremendous brute force in the running game and those qualities help lead Auburn to be one of the most feared running teams in the country last season.

Robinson is a developing pass protector but don’t take that to mean he isn’t good at it! His long arms, powerful punch and quick feet allow him to shut down the blindside of the offensive line, his development comes from the fact that Auburn rarely threw the ball and that Robinson himself is a 21 year old sophomore. The sky is the limit for this young man and if he is able to continue this upward spiral he’s on he very well could be the best NFL big man to come out of Louisiana since big Willie Roaf… now that’s saying something!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my phone, so can't write out a long explanation for my guys..

5. Lamarcus Joyner/Jarvis Landry
4. Calvin Pryor
3. Aaron Donald
2. Sammy Watkins
1. Khalil Mack

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...If were talking any player falling for unknown reasons.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack
3. Sammy Watkins.
4. Jake Matthews
5. Loucheiz Purifoy

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack
3. Sammy Watkins.
4. Jake Matthews
5. Loucheiz Purifoy

Harp... I understand your still of the mindset that Purifoy will be a 1st round pick. I do agree that he possesses 1st round (maybe even top 10) physical skills. I'm very intrigued to see him perform at the NFL combine but I'd love to get your take on his development over the last few seasons.

Why do you feel he regressed this past season?

Was it the injuries at UF, losing a guy like Dominique Easley (whom I think will go in the back half of round 2 or early part of round 3 because of the injury history but will be an absolute steal for someone) for the season again really hurt but I was kinda hoping for Purifoy to show development in his technique but it seemed to me he regressed... what are your thoughts on this?

I liken him to LSU's Anthony Johnson... unbelievable physical ability (both will turn heads at the combine) but the development as a football player just wasn't their, I just didn't see it. I feel both should have returned to college.

Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack
3. Sammy Watkins.
4. Jake Matthews
5. Loucheiz Purifoy

Harp... I understand your still of the mindset that Purifoy will be a 1st round pick. I do agree that he possesses 1st round (maybe even top 10) physical skills. I'm very intrigued to see him perform at the NFL combine but I'd love to get your take on his development over the last few seasons.

Was it the injuries at UF, losing a guy like Dominique Easley (whom I think will go in the back half of round 2 or early part of round 3 because of the injury history but will be an absolute steal for someone) for the season again really hurt but I was kinda hoping for Purifoy to show development in his technique but it seemed to me he regressed... what are your thoughts on this?

He has issues in run support, but what CB doesn't? and he had a downright MISERABLE game against Benjamin which is what killed his draft stock but the guy has legit shutdown CB ability. He's a legit 6'1, 185. He's got long arms, excels in press coverage and he's still raw at the CB position...I think he fits our scheme to a "t" and has all the abilities to be a top tier CB in the league.

Florida had zero pass rush this year, which I think contributed to some of his struggles but I fully expect Purifoy to get himself back into the first round after a strong combine.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack
3. Sammy Watkins.
4. Jake Matthews
5. Loucheiz Purifoy

He has issues in run support, but what CB doesn't? and he had a downright MISERABLE game against Benjamin which is what killed his draft stock but the guy has legit shutdown CB ability. He's a legit 6'1, 185. He's got long arms, excels in press coverage and he's still raw at the CB position...I think he fits our scheme to a "t" and has all the abilities to be a top tier CB in the league.

Florida had zero pass rush this year, which I think contributed to some of his struggles but I fully expect Purifoy to get himself back into the first round after a strong combine.

I completely agree that he's an IDEAL fit for New Orleans but I'm not sure how high up my current rankings he'll climb. I currently have him rated as my 47th overall player and honestly that's mostly on pure god given ability alone. His struggles this past season and the fact that he's not really a "ball hawk" per say (my opinion) keeps him down my board but he's one of those players that I find myself wanting to like more.

I expect him to show well at the combine, I already know he's an athlete... now if he's in the 4.3's at that size with that wing span and lateral quickness I could see him jumping to around that mid 30's mark so sure, I could see potentially 27th overall if he destroys the combine.

Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll likely run a 4.45, somewhere around there. Where I think he's really going to show up is individual drills. He's got fluid hips, good ball skills, and really active hands. I think teams are going to absolutely fall in love with his combine results and with him being so new to the CB position, teams can almost mold him the way they want.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
He'll likely run a 4.45, somewhere around there. Where I think he's really going to show up is individual drills. He's got fluid hips, good ball skills, and really active hands. I think teams are going to absolutely fall in love with his combine results and with him being so new to the CB position, teams can almost mold him the way they want.

His active hands are obvious... he understands the nuances of using his hands to jab, tug and disrupt receivers throughout their routes. Very similar to the way Seattle defenders are taught to do. Sometimes he goes overboard and gets flagged for it but it's a skill that I think will serve him well coming into the league if he can learn how to better disguise it.

Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

His active hands are obvious... he understands the nuances of using his hands to jab, tug and disrupt receivers throughout their routes. Very similar to the way Seattle defenders are taught to do. Sometimes he goes overboard and gets flagged for it but it's a skill that I think will serve him well coming into the league if he can learn how to better disguise it.

Yep, what it comes down to is if Payton and Loomis think they can coach him up. He has all the tools to be an elite, shutdown CB. He just needs some refining. I think he's certainly worth the risk at 27, but hey I also wouldn't mind if he had an average combine showing and we snagged him with our 2nd or 3rd. Wink

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will only throw one name out here and that is Darqueze Dennard. If we could land him at 27, that would be awesome. Gilbert and him are 1a and 1b at CB this year to me and Dennard would be a perfect scheme fit for Rob Ryan. Love his play!

QB Drew Brees - 333 YDs ; 1 TD ; 1 INT ; 2 YDs rushing

DB Patrick Robinson - 3 Tackles
r.meachem_17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.S.Watkins
4.K.Van Noy
3.J.Gilbert
2.K.Mack
1.G.Robinson
spanky3801

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5 that may or may not be there at 27:
1. Calvin Pryor
2. Louichez Purifoy
3. LaMarcus Joyner
4. Odell Beckham Jr.
5. Jeremiah Attaochu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: