Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric Reids Potential
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
if you say so...

I can't say I ever read of any Spillman disappointment... and can't say teams only draft for need, as if to say it was an indictment on Spillman that we selected Reid. Seems a fair conclusion to reach, but still... who can say? Spillman's been around a while now, so I can accept that maybe he sucks as a starting S.

Many thought that an unknown could not step right into Goldson's shoes and adequately replace him. Just maybe.. behind the same front 7, it could happen again for Whitner's unknown replacement.

Totally agree. Hence my insistence that the front 7 will have to step up once again. We'll have 2 new "starters" on D (if we include the nickel back). Last year, we only had one new starter, so that may have helped Reid get up to speed as fast as he did. I'm sure by the end of the year, no matter who plays back there, our D will be playing at a high level. The fact that Reid is such a smart and dedicated player is really good news for the future. Hopefully he's going to be a core player for a long time, and we can just plug a cheaper option next to him. Maybe he truly was too good to pass up, and not at all an indictment on Spillman. He did beat Trenton Robinson, Darcel McBath and Michael Thomas for his job, so I guess that supports the side of "he's not that bad". The impression that I have with CJ, it's that he would get a lot of big hits as a starter, but also several whiffs.

His special teams play went a long way to winning him a roster spot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

We'll see but I think the fact he's behind a guy who most ppl believe is a complete scrub, a guy who has also been in the scheme for far less time, says it all. Maybe if he was a 2nd stringer or the first safety off the bench l could see the sense for optimism.

You could be right... but something to think about...

Spillman had 79 snaps at S last season... all but 14 of those were as SS.

Dahl had 89 snaps... all as FS.

Okay but Dahl is the back-up at FS AND SS.That's what the depth chart says and is the general consensus. Whitner never got hurt so there's no way to be certain but if he had, I'm pretty certain Dahl would have been pegged to start in his place.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

We'll see but I think the fact he's behind a guy who most ppl believe is a complete scrub, a guy who has also been in the scheme for far less time, says it all. Maybe if he was a 2nd stringer or the first safety off the bench l could see the sense for optimism.

Okay but Dahl is the back-up at FS AND SS.That's what the depth chart says and is the general consensus. Whitner never got hurt so there's no way to be certain but if he had, I'm pretty certain Dahl would have been pegged to start in his place.

the depth chart says? general consensus? Whitner didn't have to be hurt to allow Spillman his 79 recorded snaps...

You know what... nevermind. It really doesn't matter at this point. We can speculate about what the coaches think of Spillman, but never really know... and it's probably not worth thinking more on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

the depth chart says? general consensus? Whitner didn't have to be hurt to allow Spillman his 79 recorded snaps...

You know what... nevermind. It really doesn't matter at this point. We can speculate about what the coaches think of Spillman, but never really know... and it's probably not worth thinking more on.

What he means is probably that Spillman didn't replace Whitner because he was his primary back-up. His 65 snaps at SS probably happened when Dahl was playing at FS, therefore wasn't available to play at SS. We played our second string defense a lot more, this year. By a lot, I'm assuming we played our second string defense, resting our first team safeties, exactly 65 snaps. But if Whitner had been injured, we don't know for sure who would have replaced him. Maybe Dahl was his primary back-up as well as Reid's primary back-up. We can't really tell. I don't think there's been a single instance of Spillman playing in stead of Dahl. He's mostly played along with Dahl, and there has been instances where Dahl has played, and not Spillman, which seems to indicate Dahl was ahead of Spillman in the depth chart.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahl was ahead of Spillman. The only time Spillman really sees the field is on goaline packages and in garbage time.

Dahl didn't play bad during his limited time though. Not saying he is great, but his biggest miscue was blowing the coverage on the big Baldwin reception in week 2. And even that was with Wilson extending the play. Our scheme is very safety friendly, but you have to be disciplined. Whitner is the QB in the back end and diagnoses plays with the best of them. If he leaves, a guy like Joyner would be a good replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Dahl was ahead of Spillman. The only time Spillman really sees the field is on goaline packages and in garbage time.

Dahl didn't play bad during his limited time though. Not saying he is great, but his biggest miscue was blowing the coverage on the big Baldwin reception in week 2. And even that was with Wilson extending the play. Our scheme is very safety friendly, but you have to be disciplined. Whitner is the QB in the back end and diagnoses plays with the best of them. If he leaves, a guy like Joyner would be a good replacement.

I think Reid has been groomed to take over the more cerebral side of the game, like diagnosing and making calls for the DBs. If Whitner leaves, he'll probably take over Whitner's responsibilities, and the new starter won't have to worry about it too much.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid is a very bright player and is going to be a good one for years to come, but it will make things easier if we replace Whitner with another instinctive player. Either way, I would still love for Whitner to return if he does indeed take a bit of a discount. We won't likely give him more than 5 million per year, while some other team will give him around 7-8 million per year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: