Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints sure picked the right draft to need a wide receiver…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Saints draft a WR in either the 1st or 2nd round?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Saints sure picked the right draft to need a wide receiver… Reply with quote

As I continue to evaluate the Saints current roster, it’s clear that Loomis and Payton will be in the market for another young pass catcher to add to their receiving core and boy did they pick the right draft to do so. The 2014 NFL draft is loaded with stud prospects at the position within the first two rounds and any of the following would be a great addition to the current roster, let’s take a look…

1st round prospects
Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Best player in the draft at his position… possesses all the physical tools to be special in the NFL.

Mike Evans, Texas A&M

Big physical receiver who possesses deceptive speed and quickness.

Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

Big boom or bust factor but if he hit’s he has the potential to develop into one of the 5 best players out of this entire draft.

Marquise Lee, Southern Cal

Silky smooth prospect with speed for days and looks natural in and out of his breaks.

Odell Beckham Jr., Louisiana State

Elite athlete who excels as a playmaker at both receiver and returner in the mold of a Percy Harvin and Randall Cobb.

Allen Robinson, Penn State

Big time player who’s underrated but ultra-productive. Superior length, natural hands and tough as nails over the middle.

2nd round prospects
Davante Adams, Fresno State

Big time production, NFL body and a knack as a playmaker but elite speed is questionable.

Jarvis Landry, Louisiana State

Best hands and blocker at the position in the draft. Landry is the ultimate chain mover as he was the very best in the NCAA at converting on 3rd down last season.

Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

Highlight reel as a playmaker, superior quickness possesses the sickest juke moves I’ve seen since DeSean Jackson came out of Cal.

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Ultimate overachiever who gets the very best of every ounce of his being… Matthews will never be out worked or underprepared and will give you his all on every play.

Paul Richardson, Colorado

Blazing speed as a vertical threat, tall thin prospect in a similar mold to Saints Joe Morgan.

Robert Herron, Wyoming

Another prospect similar to Brandin Cooks but just slightly less athletic but still dynamic.

Donte Moncrief, Mississippi

Impressive athlete for his size, would have been much higher in this list if not for the inconsistent quarterback play at Ole Miss last season.

Other prospects that didn’t make my cut as 1st & 2nd round prospects but could still end up there include…

Martavis Bryant, Clemson
Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin
Josh Huff, Oregon
Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
Mike Davis, Texas
Brandon Coleman, Rutgers

As you can see, I’m quite confident that the Saints will land a premier prospect at a position of need at either the 27th or 58th selection. It’s not often that the stars align for you as a position of need happens to be a position of strength in a loaded draft so let’s hope the Saints take advantage!

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll be able to take a good CB and WR prospect in rounds 1 and 2. Both positions are big needs for us and extremely deep in the first couple rounds.

Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Jason Verrett
Bradley Roby
Lamarcus Joyner
Marcus Roberson
Kyle Fuller
Loucheiz Purifoy

We could easily trade back into the early second, acquire another pick, and draft a solid CB while being able to get a good WR prospect late in the 2nd. With the depth at these positions, it makes me wonder if the Saints wil take a pass rusher earlier than we expect, since they're not so prevalent in this draft. I think Rob Ryan has all the confidence in the world in Victor Butler, and that we'll be addressing the secondary early again this draft. You've got to think that Sean Payton's itching to draft an offensive weapon early this year.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
spanky3801

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see us trade #27 to Houston for 2nd round pick 1 and 3rd round pick 1. Then trading 2nd round pick 1 to San Fran for there 2 2nd rounders.

2a. (56) Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU
2b. (5Cool LaMarcus Joyner FS FSU
2c. (61) Louichez Purifoy CB Fla
3a. (1) Anthony Johnson DT LSU
3b. (91) Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Ga Tech
4. (122) JuWuan James OT Tenn
5. (155) Justin Ellis DT/NT La Tech
6. (186) Storm Johnson RB UCF or De'Anthony Thomas RB Ore
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can find a way to land Cooks in the 2nd, I'll consider the 2014 draft a success.

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purifoy will be a first round pick after the combine. He has top 10 ability but is coming off a bad year, mostly due to injuries causing the Gators to have zero pass rush. Guys got all the makings of a shut down CB, I'd love to grab him at 27.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop trivia...has Sean Payton EVER traded back during the NFL draft? I don't think. If anything Sean Payton is going to fall in love with someone and trade up. That is a strategy he has no problem doing because he regularly gets 1-3 players as UDFAs that contribute. He doesn't really need his mid-late round picks to fill out depth as much as other teams.

I think the Saints stay where they are and go secondary/WR in the 1st. Then may move up in the 2nd round to get their choice secondary/WR guy that falls out of the first round.

I can see the Saints going with a guy like Beckham in the 1st then trading up for Joyner in the early 2nd.

~Sir William Osler
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
Pop trivia...has Sean Payton EVER traded back during the NFL draft? I don't think. If anything Sean Payton is going to fall in love with someone and trade up. That is a strategy he has no problem doing because he regularly gets 1-3 players as UDFAs that contribute. He doesn't really need his mid-late round picks to fill out depth as much as other teams.

I think the Saints stay where they are and go secondary/WR in the 1st. Then may move up in the 2nd round to get their choice secondary/WR guy that falls out of the first round.

I can see the Saints going with a guy like Beckham in the 1st then trading up for Joyner in the early 2nd.

Ummm, what is 2011 draft pick Mark Ingram?
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint-Anger_13 wrote:
unfsaint wrote:

Ummm, what is 2011 draft pick Mark Ingram?

Trading up. We traded up our second round pick with the patriots for there first. It cost us our first in 2012. Jordan was our actual first round pick that year.
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I took it as trading back as in trading back into the 1st.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint-Anger_13 wrote:
As I took it as trading back as in trading back into the 1st.

That was a trade up from a 2nd rounder...not trading back. I don't think Payton has EVER traded back in his 7 years of drafting. That should be pretty telling.

~Sir William Osler
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Moncrief. He reminds me of Colston all over again. If he is available in the second/third, we'd be stupid not to grab him.

With Stills emerging, assuming we keep Graham and (hopefully) with the return of Joe Morgan ( and I'll again assume that he comes back like before) That would leave us with

Morgan- deep threat
Stills- Slot/deep threat
Moncrief- possession
Graham- as a beast

Yeah I'd be pretty happy with that. That's a young and very talented WR corp.

I think we go CB/BPA in the first.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
I STOPPED CARING.

Keenan Lewis
T PD INT
STILL DONT CARE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: