Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Final (probably) Mock before FA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Final (probably) Mock before FA Reply with quote

Update 2/16:
This mock draft update is operating under the assumption that the Giants signed no one in FA besides their own.

Round 1: Darqueze Dennard, CB
This is a long shot because I think Dennard will go to the Lions, but for now he is not. Dennard is without a doubt the best CB in the class. He's physical, aggressive, but plays within the rules. His speed is a knock on him, so I am interested to see how his combine is next weekend. Right now, though, he's our CB opposite Prince.

Round 2: Aaron Donald DT
This was a hard pick. I really like Bradford at LB, but Donald is a play maker. He's possibly undersized, but he is a force. He plays the 3-tech, and can take over for Cullen Jenkins. I think this year he would be a rotational player to give guys like Hank a break on 3rd down. I'm a fan of pressure up the middle, and Donald is versatile enough to play DE.

Round 3: Weston Richburg, C
I like Richburg more than Jackson/Richardson, and Yankey/Filo will go in the second. Richburg rose during the Senior Bowl when he held his own against the top DTs in the class and is a solid run blocker, good technique, and can get to the second level. I almost slotted WR/TE/RB here, but Richburg brings more value. He's a safe pick, not sexy, but safe.

Round 4: Aaron Lynch, DE
I'm also pretty big on Lynch, and had he not transferred to USF I think he would be in the top DE tier with Clowney. He was an absolute monster at ND, but he dropped 25 pounds and didn't play as well at 250. He will need to bulk up and gain that weight back, but it will pay dividends.

Round 5: Justin Britt, OT
Britt is a solid prospect but he projects better at guard. He is a strong, physical blocker with solid footwork. He can get to the second level but needs to become more consistent with finishing his blocks. He could be a day 1 starter at guard.

Round 6: Marion Grice, RB
This is a home run, because I think Grice will rise after the combine. However, RB value isn't what it use to be so it is possible he will stay around here. Grice ended with season with a leg injury, but he is pretty much everything we can want in a RB. He doesn't have home run Scott-Wilson speed, but he is a patient back with good vision. And the best thing? He has fairly decent route running skills and soft hands. I have seen some comparisons to Matt Forte in that he will never wow you, but he will always be consistent and reliable. If we get a Matt Forte in the 6th, I will be pretty happy.

Of course, free agency will greatly change the landscape of all mocks and the Giants big board, but with this mock we come away with 2 new starters on the OL, a starting corner opposite Prince, a 3 down RB, and 2 DL players that will need a year or two to really grow into their role. We will still have holes and issues like TE and LB, but I would be pretty satisfied with a mock like this.

Previous Mock:
1) Justin Gilbert, CB
2) David Yankey, OG
3) Charles Sims, RB
4) Kareem Martin, DE
5) Gabe Ikard, C
6) Michael Flacco, TE

Last edited by Kodaraw on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still high on mosley being picked but i think if we go CB we would go Dennard from mich st IF hes still there, if not gilbert is the next best
my hopes for FA: Asomoah playing G, Tarrell Brown playin CB2, and Brandon Pettigrew playing TE

also i hope yankey goes to us but yankey getting picked by seattle late 1st round seems like it could happen
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gilbert is just OK tbh i don't think worthy of a top 15 selection at this point. Dennard is a better overall corner imo
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I'd much rather Dennard. I know most people might disagree but I'm praying for Watkins.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbert is faster and can recover

Dennard doesn't have that speed. ..
With that said... I don't think dennard needs to recover, he's that good

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennard is a very good corner...if we address our OL issues in FA i wouldnt mind taking him. Him and Prince for the next 6-8 years Shocked
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennard is the best CB in the draft, but I don't think he will be available for us. He and Watkins will both be gone in this scenario, so I think Gilbert is the BPA and brings value on special teams too. Our special teams was a mess last season, and having a consistent returner is a plus. The fact that he is good in coverage and has a nose for the ball AND can return his INT for TD is big.
Prince is solid in coverage but he only had one interception last season.

Given the Pope firing, I'm less sure about the Flacco pick... But I still have to say he is worth the risk.

IF Dennard is there, I would rather pick him. But since I don't think he will be.. Gilbert it is.

As far as FA... I don't really want to try to predict but...
I hope we sign:

Jon Asamoah - G
Brandon Pettigrew - TE
Jeremy Maclin - WR (We were in position to trade up for Maclin with the Lions, but the Eagles traded up ahead of them and drafted Maclin. Instead, we got Nicks, so clearly we were high on Maclin)
Michael Johnson - DE
Michael Bennett - DE
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put off doing homework to update this mock... last semester before law school and I have no motivation. Sad

What do y'all think?
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly if we either get gilbert or dennard it would be a win, both seem like great corners
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
honestly if we either get gilbert or dennard it would be a win, both seem like great corners

I agree. Gilbert brings speed, big play and special teams ability
Dennard brings mean, aggressive, physical play.

Colt Lyerla is an intriguing guy. I would be tempted to sign him as an UDFA. He is an elite talent... Getting comparisons to Tony Gonzalez and Aaron Hernandez. He's fast (4.5ish), a wiling blocker, and has good hands. We took a chance on Hill... Lyerla could be the TE we've been looking for.

But he has issues. A lot of them. Cocaine arrest, quit school mid season, reports of fights and alcohol abuse... Risk-reward?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: