Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is th best 3-4 OLB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Someone turned me on to Derrell JohnsonOLB ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP0Tt8eA5sM

Quote:
Rates as one of the top performers in the Pirates' strength and conditioning program ... Off-season testing produced a new all-time position and team record with a 405-pound push jerk ... Other "excellent-rated" status marks include a bench press of 425 pounds, a power clean of 338 pounds, a back squat of 585 pounds, a vertical leap of 35", a broad jump of 115" and a 40 time of 4.58 ... Has played in 37 games and will open the 2013 campaign with 36-straight starts, which serves as the longest active streak in the ECU program ... Has recorded multiple tackles in 30 of 37 outings and has booked at least one tackle in 25 consecutive contests, dating back to the 2011 season opener vs. South Carolina.

Late round pick but something you look for with that broad jump and vert. That shows explosiveness. Very much like Deebo. Needs technique.

He is explosive and quick but he looks very stiff. He doesn't seem like he can bend and rip upfield. With his power and speed, I would use him as an ILB to control the middle of the LOS.

Very Deebo like. Harrison was not "flexible" either. He is walking tackles back to the QB. He sheds blocks to get to the ball carriers. get this guy some technique and he would be good.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the answer to this question is going to end up being Dee Ford.

Kid can bend the edge like no other prospect in this class and certainly seems to have the motivation and leadership teams crave.

He's gotta be in the mix for the Steelers at 15.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Kid can bend the edge like no other prospect in this class and certainly seems to have the motivation and leadership teams crave.

Dee Ford is a very Steeler like pick. I just doubt they go OLB 2 years in a row.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Dee Ford is a very Steeler like pick. I just doubt they go OLB 2 years in a row.

Usually, I would agree.

With both Wood and Worilds up in the air it may be that atypical kind of year.

Assuming Worilds walks, no way do I feel good about the premier defensive position in the scheme with Woodley/Jones/Carter manning it.

Keep Worilds and switch that to Worilds/Jones/Carter and I don't feel any better.

Vet signing...sure. They might bring in a body. Not much more.

It's not my first choice of positions to spend a first rounder on, but the position and Ford make a lot of sense...especially if they think the O was good enough in the second half.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Ford would be a terrible pick, a reach and no matter what happens with Worlids, he shouldnt be the pick, and I am pretty confident he wont.
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Dee Ford would be a terrible pick, a reach and no matter what happens with Worlids, he shouldnt be the pick, and I am pretty confident he wont.

Kinda sending mixed signals here. How do you really feel about Ford?

Wink

Kids a stud IMO.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Kinda sending mixed signals here. How do you really feel about Ford?

Wink

Kids a stud IMO.

We all have our opinions on players.

I see nothing special about the guy...at all.

My feelings there have more to do with him as our 1st round pick.

For instance, I dont want Ford in the 1st, but the 2nd would be okay....unlike Nix who I wouldnt take until the 4th round (personally)
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Ford is not a pick at 15. It is a pick if they trade back to the lower 20's or out of the 1st round all together.

kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Ford is Jason Worilds as a rookie, but in the first round. All first step and athleticism
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong about Ford, but I'm a sucker for get off and ankle flexibility and Ford has those in spades. He can bend the edge like no one else in the class.

Everything I hear says he's going to interview off the charts. I'm guessing he'll have a few more fans after the combine.

I'm tempted to throw down a wager for any interested that he goes before Barr.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I could be wrong about Ford, but I'm a sucker for get off and ankle flexibility and Ford has those in spades. He can bend the edge like no one else in the class.

Everything I hear says he's going to interview off the charts. I'm guessing he'll have a few more fans after the combine.

I'm tempted to throw down a wager for any interested that he goes before Barr.

That flexibility to turn the corner reminds me of Robert Mathis. The way Mathis and Freeney used to get upfield was just beastly.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best perhaps but more small school talent

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24441428/small-school-starr-ready-to-shine-at-nfl-combine

Tyler Starr 6-5 250
Quote:

Starr says he hass clocked a three-cone drill time of 6.29 in his training sessions in Tennessee. For comparison's sake, the fastest time in Indy last year was 6.52 by cornerback Will Davis from Utah. Oregon WR Jeff Maehl clocked a 6.42 in 2011, which the NFL considers its recent best. The fastest time by a linebacker last year was 6.71 by Mizzou's Zavier Gooden.

"I think I can blow that drill out of the water," Starr told CBSSports.com on Tuesday night. Even if he's anywhere near that mark, his stock should continue to rise.

this is what you look for in late round OLB picks. 3 cone drill, vertical jump and broad jump

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/tyler-starr-vs-kansas-2013/

kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan needs to SHOOOSH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: