Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions release Delmas, Burleson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:
Why was he released? I remember how I wanted the Eagles to draft him and he was an attractive FA.
Because the Lions can't manage a salary cap and needed the room.

When 40 percent of your cap is dedicated to 3 players you know you have a problem.

That's why rookie scale was finally fixed. They will be fine. Delmas nothing special.

Huh!! Short of his injury history dude was playing at a high level. I have not watched him last year but he was balling early.

He made several big plays his rookie year, but since then he has spent most of his time injured. When he played there were a lot of bad angles, poor tackling technique, and bad coverage. Sprinkle in a big hit here and there (even on his own team mates) and that's Delmas summed up.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
i thought we were going to sign him last year but the lions offered more and he went back to detriot

they just signed him so it seems weird.
what was he schedules to make this year? dead money?

Only 500K dead money as they only gave him a $1 million signing bonus. They gave him a 2 year deal last year with most of the money being in the 2nd year and non-guaranteed.

Honestly, most Lions fans saw this release coming (after the 1st season of the contract) as soon as he signed the deal. Barring a dramatic improvement in play they weren't going to keep him around for 6 million or whatever he was scheduled to make this year. His contract was one of those not worth the paper they are written on contracts when it came to the 2nd season.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:
Why was he released? I remember how I wanted the Eagles to draft him and he was an attractive FA.
Because the Lions can't manage a salary cap and needed the room.

When 40 percent of your cap is dedicated to 3 players you know you have a problem.

That's why rookie scale was finally fixed. They will be fine. Delmas nothing special.

Do you guys already have his replacement on board, or do you expect Detroit to look through FA/Draft to replace him?

No obvious replacement. FA/draft likely.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
is Delmas overpaid or simply bad? i thought he was pretty good

He's alright. Above average at best. Instead of playing the ball in the air he prefers to launch head first looking for a big hit though which is extremely frustrating. Last year he had a good chance to break up a pass play but didn't even look for the ball and just launched head first into his teammate and knocked him out. Just one example.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Delmas would be a nice replacement should Bryd leave.

I 2nd this

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may be confused by these releases, they pretty much had to be done. Delmas, while a talented player, was not worth the money he was getting paid. The contract he signed set this year up for him to be cut or extended. He didn't fully prove that he can maintain being healthy, so we released him. Delmas will still probably be given the opportunity to return, but I doubt he returns in a starting role. Delmas can play as a FS and a SS, but really is best off being a 3rd Safety used in various defensive packages. I wouldn't call him an in-the-box safety, because there's no way his body would hold up being used in the box for an extended period of time. I also wouldn't call him a good centerfielder type FS, because he does not play the ball in the air well at all. He also has a problem with biting on shorter routes when he's supposed to help the CB over the top. He's best off being used in shorter-intermediate coverages, or covering a deep half/third if he has good CB's in front of him. He's also a very underrated blitzer. He's not a very consistent or reliable player, which is why so many Lions fans are so down on him.

As for Burleson, it really sucks to see him go. He is a great leader, and while he is getting old, he is a still a fairly reliable option. His contract was one of the worst that Mayhew and Lewand have given out, because he was simply way overpaid. I hope they can bring him back, because he could still contribute as a chain-moving type WR.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
sounds like a lot of people would like their team to have more 15 yard penalties with all the love delmas is getting.

Helps to know facts. As much as I hate him he did not have a lot of 15 yard penalties.

3 total penalties in 2013-- all of 15 yard
1 penalty in 2012 defensive holding 5 yards
1 in 2011-- defensive holding 5 yards
3 in 2010-- 2 over 10 yard variety
5 in 2009-- 2 of the 15 yard variety

So in 5 seasons he has 5 total 15 yard penalties...avg of 1 per year

burflict alone had 6 unnecessary roughness, 2 personal fouls and a 15 yard face mask THIS year

where do you get your numbers?

but its a matter of risk verse rewards. i would take the penalties for a player like burfict then less penalties for a player like delmas. he doesnt make up for the penalties he does commit.

Every player and every team here

http://www.nflpenalties.com

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Delmas coming out.

Chronically injured players are just the worst.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: