Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you accept Michael Sam as a Saint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you draft Michael Sam?
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Would you accept Michael Sam as a Saint? Reply with quote

Missouri DE Michael Sam, 1st openly gay NFL draft prospect.

My personal belief is that a man’s sexual preference is his own business and while my views on the subject is not the same as Sam’s, I do respect his stance and courage to be open about who he is and how he wants to live his life.

Having said that… I believe that it will be the media circus that will follow Sam to his new job more than anything that will turn off many NFL clubs. As a pure football player, Sam has recently seen his draft stock plummet because he’s a so called “tweener” who lacks the explosiveness of some of the top prospects ahead of him. However, Sam’s production in the SEC this past season cannot be ignored. Some teams will be concerned if he’s a one year wonder due to the fact that 2013 was Sam’s only real productive year in college and added to that is his perceived lack of athleticism.

Looking ahead, I evaluated Sam as a player that Rob Ryan would value as a reserve 34 edge rusher behind Junior Galette at the “Jack” linebacker position where Sam could (like Galette) play at times as a standup edge rusher and at times with his hands in the dirt while not being asked to drop into coverage as much. The fact that Sam is now an openly gay football player has not changed my evaluation on him and I personally would welcome him now just as I would have last week but I still see Sam as a 3rd-4th round prospect and would not take him before then regardless but if Sam goes undrafted because of his sexual orientation I would believe that to be a travesty.

I understand that this is a touchy topic… but one that is needs to be addressed and I’m very curious to read your opinions on this subject.

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your stance on the subject Worm. I'm a little confused as to why he wouldn't wait until the draft is over, but supposedly most teams had an idea at the East/West Shrine game. I was never really a fan of his game just because "tweeners" that lack explosion scare me, and I believe being explosive is one of the most important characteristics of a succesful pass rusher. If we did draft him I'd be skeptical because of the type of player he is not because of his sexual preference.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by dissappointed I mean if we take him in the 3rd-4th. After that I'd be okay with it.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I'm a little confused as to why he wouldn't wait until the draft is over

I actually respect him more for this because at least he is open and honest to GM's moving forward and won't be looked at as a con artist after the fact. By coming out now Sam has basically put the owness of the situation in the hands of the GM's.

This way when Sam is drafted, in a way the GM and HC is sending a message to the entire organization that they are ok with who Sam is and this might allow Sam to be more accepted in the locker room. To me it's better this way for Sam to walk in to the building with the support of the front office and coaching staff, instead of being looked at as a liar by coming out after the fact.

I think Sam understands that his draft stock will suffer for this but his integrity will not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anything might possibly get out of hand, which I doubt considering our forum is awesome, just be careful in the direction of the thread. Webby is letting the correct discussions on the subject go but needs to be watched.

If he's a football player that can help my team I would want him, plain and simple. If guys in the locker room have an issue with his personal preferences then they lack maturity as it's no different than the dynamics of male/female relationships. One person approaches the subject, if they get rejected then it needs to end there or it's harassment and a crime, if it's reciprocated then congrats and good luck on your date.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:
I'm a little confused as to why he wouldn't wait until the draft is over

I actually respect him more for this because at least he is open and honest to GM's moving forward and won't be looked at as a con artist after the fact. By coming out now Sam has basically put the owness of the situation in the hands of the GM's.

This way when Sam is drafted, in a way the GM and HC is sending a message to the entire organization that they are ok with who Sam is and this might allow Sam to be more accepted in the locker room. To me it's better this way for Sam to walk in to the building with the support of the front office and coaching staff, instead of being looked at as a liar by coming out after the fact.

I think Sam understands that his draft stock will suffer for this but his integrity will not.

True. Good point

Adopt-a-Saint
Porter22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted NO, but not due to his outing. To me he is neither a 4-3 DE nor a 3-4 OLB in the NFL and often those players don't convert to a good NFL player.
His outing is no problem at all, for me it even shows how brave of a player he is and as you could see at Mizzou, he seems to be a great locker room guy.

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
Fray32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that this is an issue worthy of discussion is telling of where we are as a society. Unfortunate, but progress is slow; Rome wasn't built in a day.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fray32 wrote:
the fact that this is an issue worthy of discussion is telling of where we are as a society. Unfortunate, but progress is slow; Rome wasn't built in a day.

funny...I think we are heading in the wrong direction as a society.

Sam should play more physical. He has good size but would struggle anchoring against the run. He is a good pass rusher...but would be limited as a player on our defense.

~Sir William Osler
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves already covered it, but you guys are a good bunch, I don't think we'll have any issues with this discussion.

Sam isn't really a need for us. He's a pass rusher, we have that in Galette and (hopefully) Butler. If he falls to the 4th or 5th I wouldn't mind taking him though. I actually was doing a bunch of internet scouting this weekend (I was snowed in) and he was one guy I didn't think would fall to us with a later pick, but thought we should scoop him up if he did. He could be a decent pass rusher on passing downs until we decided whether or not he could be a full time contributor on defense.

I think our locker room is mature enough to handle the media that would come with him, and I would hope that they're mature enough to handle him as a teammate.

Fray32, I'm with you on this one. Can't get into it on here though.

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
Fray32 wrote:

funny...I think we are heading in the wrong direction as a society.
Sam should play more physical. He has good size but would struggle anchoring against the run. He is a good pass rusher...but would be limited as a player on our defense.

totally agree with bold above.

Now onto Sam... his sexual preference should not be the question and should be disregarded, IMO. The real question is... does he fit this team and scheme? Plain and simple.

^NS922 on the sig^
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I couldn't care any less about the guy's sexual preference.

I'm not sure where he is best fit tbh. He's a tweener. I'd take him in the 4th (since our pick is a late pick) or later, but not before. I'm not really worried about the media as it'll go away if he makes the roster after a while. I think he fits best as a LEO in defenses that use them (JAX/SEA). Just don't see the fit with us, but he's a good pass rusher and would be worth it with our 4th or later.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
spanky3801

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would he be better than Parys Harrelson? I say yes.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky3801 wrote:
Would he be better than Parys Harrelson? I say yes.

I don't think so. Sam is NOT a run stuffer and that is Harrelson role. When we run our 3-4 (rarely) it is usually in run stuffing situations. Sam is a good pass rusher...but he is weak at the POA and can't anchor the strong side. He would be a situational pass rusher from the SOLB position or a backup to Galette at JACK in our system.

~Sir William Osler
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have to many pass rushers. I like this kid, and what he did in the SEC. My only concern would be the fear of him being another Martez Wilson. Ability to play, but nowhere to fit in. If he could fit at OLB for us, and play consistent he would be a fantastic depth addition.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 45 Tkls 4 PD 1 SCK 2 INTs
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: