Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans, O'Brien reach agreement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Sciz wrote:
In case you're wondering, we have no idea how good of a coach Godsey is. The talent at TE was so good for most of 2012 that even a bad TE coach wouldn't be able to ruin them, while the talent at TE for most of this season was so awful that even a good TE coach wouldn't get anything out of them.

I will say though, for you Clowney fans, your new QB coach has had an up close look at Ryan Mallett for three seasons, including the past two when O'Brien wasn't around

I do not think that McNair would approve of a trade for Mallet given the cocaine background. There might be more wiggle room for another position but QBs inevitably become the face of the franchise.

I don't buy too much into the concept that a coach having coached a player instantly catapults that player to the top of their lists. At most, coaches do this with the low rent type players that they bring in to instill "culture" like Parcells and Ryan did, but I can't think of many examples of college coaches drafting their own college stars or even NFL coaches poaching their former players (it worked out so well for Wade with Alan Ball and Bradie James). How many Eagles did Andy Reid bring over? Sure, a guy like Chip Kelly may see something in a guy like Jeff Maehl that others don't and give him an extra chance, but it's not like he reached for Dion Jordon, Kyle Long, or Kiko Alonso last year or as some predicted, he didn't tank to try to get Mariota. I don't think Harbaugh has draft a single Stanford player. It's why the Art Briles to the Redskins stuff never meant much to me as it would be a bad career move for both as it would diminish the success they both had apart. If anything the Dolphins pairing Mike Sherman and Ryan Tannehill should be a cautionary tale as while it may have eased his transition to the NFL, it also likely limited his upside since he wasn't exposed to any new concepts or methods. It is a bit crazy to me to think that with a new universe of every draft eligible player in the country vs. whatever universe UCF was recruiting from Godsey would again think that Bortles was the best football player out there and that O'Brien would agree. I know O'Brien is tight with O'Leary, but to me that could just as likely lead to O'Leary sharing his concerns about the fundamental flaws in Bortles game.

As for Mallett, I could see moving a middle-ish pick for him in a QB competition situation, but he has shown NOTHING to warrant putting faith in him as a franchise QB. He hasn't even had his "Matt Flynn" moment as he's gotten no meaningful regular season action and stunk again this past preseason in his final showcase. We would be insane to give up meaningful picks for him like the Chiefs did for Cassell who actually proved himself in real football game and the Pats have no reason to let him go since he's just getting 3rd round salary and can easily ride out the final year of his rookie deal as Brady's backup. Trading for Mallett 2 years ago might have made sense since you would get 2 seasons of value at low salary before having to lock him up and if he flopped you could get out cheap. Trading for him now, you not only give up the picks, but also the downside risk of a high salary flop. If Mallett was going to be moved, last season was certainly the time considering the dearth of QB talent in the draft vs. this year which is so solid. Honestly, I'd just as soon bring in Sanchez, Gabbert, Ponder, or Weedon and see if they can be "fixed" rather than count on a less talented guy like Mallett who AT BEST could turn out to be Jake Locker and at worst could just be another Tony Pike, Dan LeFevour statue or a Rhett Bomar type who just didn't have to constitution to hold up to the demands of the position.

I don't want to take away from your point, because I agree with it, but Dan LeFevour ran for 3,000 yards in college. He might not be a good QB, but he wasn't a statue.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know where to put this... doesn't need a new thread

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Hire-Gaine-and-Roberts-Promote-Wright/6b4ee426-5186-44a9-8da4-711053915096
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Hire-Gaine-and-Roberts-Promote-Wright/6b4ee426-5186-44a9-8da4-711053915096

Gaine, is an up and comer in the league. He was considered for the Miami GM job, before they went in a different direction. I doubt he'll be with us for long.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

Gaine, is an up and comer in the league. He was considered for the Miami GM job, before they went in a different direction. I doubt he'll be with us for long.

Some speculation is that he's going to be our next GM after this draft, a la Casserly.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

Some speculation is that he's going to be our next GM after this draft, a la Casserly.

Havn't heard that, but I would LOVE that move!

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

If he was brought on board to be Smith's replacement then why not do it now, why let a lame duck GM control your draft.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

If he was brought on board to be Smith's replacement then why not do it now, why let a lame duck GM control your draft.

It was speculation I read at BRB, but a lame duck GM is within precedent for our organization and his replacement-in-waiting being on board may be because he was regarded as a hot commodity, thus making his hire an issue of timing.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

I think BOB will have and Crennel will have A LOT of control over the draft......just my personal opinion.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that this is all fabrication because many on this forum want Smith gone as GM. If Gaine can give Rick a new perspective looking at draft prospects then all it can do is be beneficial to the team.

Smith also has 2 years left on his contract, and McNair is not keen on giving out money to people for doing nothing.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Think that this is all fabrication because many on this forum want Smith gone as GM. If Gaine can give Rick a new perspective looking at draft prospects then all it can do is be beneficial to the team.

Smith also has 2 years left on his contract, and McNair is not keen on giving out money to people for doing nothing.

Just to be clear, this may be a fabrication but I didn't make it up. I simply sai it was speculation proffered elsewhere and thought it was an interesting enough proposition to bring up in discussion here.

I'm not particularly in favor of firing Smith as it is.
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Just to be clear, this may be a fabrication but I didn't make it up. I simply sai it was speculation proffered elsewhere and thought it was an interesting enough proposition to bring up in discussion here.

I'm not particularly in favor of firing Smith as it is.

I understand you didn't make it up, but football writers don't have a lot to write about this time of year. So could just be a writer generating an article to create some buzz during the off season.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: