Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Welcome back Joey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like Lloyd/Harrison > Porter in terms of nastiness/attitude. Porter had a lot of bark. He didn't always back it up.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Guys like Lloyd/Harrison > Porter in terms of nastiness/attitude. Porter had a lot of bark. He didn't always back it up.

Do you always have to put a negative spin on everything?

Who cares? He was still a damn good LB with alot of fire and fueled our entire defense with energy and leadership on the field.

And even if he wasnt as "nasty" as Lloyd and Harrison, he was a better leader than both of them.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

Porter sits alone in the history of the NFL by being the only 70+ sack and 10+ints players. Porter is equal to Lloyd and Harrison as each did something equal or better then the other. Joey Porter while not as nasty on the field was nasty enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Who cares? He was still a damn good LB with alot of fire and fueled our entire defense with energy and leadership on the field.

And even if he wasnt as "nasty" as Lloyd and Harrison, he was a better leader than both of them.

I dont necessarily agree with either ideas.

Joey had fire, and backed it up in his most important run as a Steelers in the 05 playoffs. It took him a while to develop as well into what he fully became. He was not very stout but put everything he had into it. Sounds like a good example for Jarvis Jones to follow.

Lloyd might not have been your schoolboy leader but to say that he didn't have followers is crazy, even if guys like Rod Woodson may not necessarily admit to it. When those teams were getting off the bus there was no doubt Greg Lloyd was the first one off and those teams reflected & fllowed his example. Perhaps Kirkland made the most sense and spoke the truth similar to Potsie but no doubt when the team was in a fight it was Harrison that they thumped their chests behind. Its no coincidence that the biggest declines in this teams "recent" history followed the exit and decline of both Lloyd and Harrison....because when those guys were on the field you didn't have to look around or think about who's going to make a play. You knew exactly where to look and so did the opposition because it scared the hell out of them.

...you have a forum resume?
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think Harrison was a leader in the rah rah sense. He was just the sort of guy people feared who set an example of how to work. And when people talk about restoring attitude to the defense, I never cared for the 'attitude' Porter brought to the table. Walking to the 50 with your shirt rolled up and barking at kickers/punters before letting the Bengals hang 38 on your defense, for instance.

The attitude the team needs is the kind Harrison brought. He hustled, and was legitimately feared. He was going to take your tackle, almost regardless of who he was, and beat his [inappropriate/removed] for 60 minutes.

I like the hire. I just find the talk about the Porter 'era' old and tired. The defense got better when he left and reached peaks it never would have with him.

Remember Tom Brady talking [inappropriate/removed] to Anthony Smith? Alls Harrison had to do was enter the vicinity and he quickly ran back to the huddle with nothing more to say.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

I dont necessarily agree with either ideas.

Joey had fire, and backed it up in his most important run as a Steelers in the 05 playoffs. It took him a while to develop as well into what he fully became. He was not very stout but put everything he had into it. Sounds like a good example for Jarvis Jones to follow.

Lloyd might not have been your schoolboy leader but to say that he didn't have followers is crazy, even if guys like Rod Woodson may not necessarily admit to it. When those teams were getting off the bus there was no doubt Greg Lloyd was the first one off and those teams reflected & fllowed his example. Perhaps Kirkland made the most sense and spoke the truth similar to Potsie but no doubt when the team was in a fight it was Harrison that they thumped their chests behind. Its no coincidence that the biggest declines in this teams "recent" history followed the exit and decline of both Lloyd and Harrison....because when those guys were on the field you didn't have to look around or think about who's going to make a play. You knew exactly where to look and so did the opposition because it scared the hell out of them.

Harrison and Lloyd were "leaders" in the sense that they would set the tone in games. In that sense, sure.

However, neither were vocal leaders. You may be able to call them leaders on the field, but I think Porter was more of a leader on AND off the field. He was always the one leading the chants before games and you always saw him going up to his fellow defenders and attempting to get them fired up. I never saw that with either Harrison or Lloyd.

Lets put it this way....

Porter was a DIRECT leader.

Harrison and Lloyd were INDIRECT leaders.

However, I dont think anyone would ever say that Lloyd should be a coach. He wasnt personable enough, and you pretty much have to be. Same with Harrison. With Porter, I can see him being a coach long before I could see those two ever being coaches.

byerly724

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll get heat for this but why does it seem Tomlin is hiring former "cowher" standouts? I understand they would be best suited to coaching Lebeau's style defense, but just seems weird to me. Unless they are being brought in because Lebeau requested them.

Either way with Joey porter I'm not very thrilled about it. His game was mostly due to his high motor. That's something very hard to coach. Porter never seemed like a technical or high football IQ defender. He beat his guy one on one and held the edge well though. Something both Jarvis and worilds have failed to learn.

Not saying he can't be a great coach but it could go either way and not really surprise me.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byerly724 wrote:
I know I'll get heat for this but why does it seem Tomlin is hiring former "cowher" standouts? I understand they would be best suited to coaching Lebeau's style defense, but just seems weird to me. Unless they are being brought in because Lebeau requested them.

Either way with Joey porter I'm not very thrilled about it. His game was mostly due to his high motor. That's something very hard to coach. Porter never seemed like a technical or high football IQ defender. He beat his guy one on one and held the edge well though. Something both Jarvis and worilds have failed to learn.

Not saying he can't be a great coach but it could go either way and not really surprise me.

Likely has nothing to do with Cowher and more to do with their familiarity with the Steelers organization.

And outside of Lake and Porter, what other Cowher standouts has he brought in? I may be missing one, but Im not sure. (And while Lake played mostly under Cowher, he was drafted by Noll)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: