Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trying to visualize a Ray Horton Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can have Nix. I for one want Greg Robinson. The Kid reminds me so much of Jason Peters LT of the eagles. He's stupid athletic;a beast in the run game. He gets to the second level & plays with Power & nastiness. We need to be able to protect our QB & run the ball at will in order to be a contending team.
Stewart best days are behind him & can only be refined if Doc Brown invents a Flux capacitor.
Roos has about 3 great seasons left of High level play.
GIve me Robinson for the WIN Cool
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
You guys can have Nix. I for one want Greg Robinson. The Kid reminds me so much of Jason Peters LT of the eagles. He's stupid athletic;a beast in the run game. He gets to the second level & plays with Power & nastiness. We need to be able to protect our QB & run the ball at will in order to be a contending team.
Stewart best days are behind him & can only be refined if Doc Brown invents a Flux capacitor.
Roos has about 3 great seasons left of High level play.
GIve me Robinson for the WIN Cool

People keep saying this and then they bring up Robinson. When has Robinson showed he's a great pass-blocker or even good? The offense he played in was so run heavy and the QB loved to run so they're really is no truth he's going to help in the pass game. Matthews is the only OT I'd take that high.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@titansfan4life who was Michael Roos when we drafted him in the 2nd round.
Pass protection can be taught if an OL has good feet long arms balance & can bend his knees. Robinson can do all the above. The only weakness in his game is technique. He's very athletic an a beast;put him at right tackle for the 1st yr or 2 depending on Roos contract situation.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
Pass protection can be taught if an OL has good feet long arms balance & can bend his knees. Robinson can do all the above. The only weakness in his game is technique. He's very athletic an a beast;put him at right tackle for the 1st yr or 2 depending on Roos contract situation.

Michael Roos was a great prospect. Only problem was he came from a FCS school so he was underrated. Had he gone to a big time school, he would've likely been a top 10 pick. Roos excelled at both pass-blocking and run blocking so really this comparison doesn't make sense. My argument is why take a guy that high when you have no idea about his pass-blocking. Idc that you think he has elite measurables. Plenty of OTs in the past did too and some ended being a big time bust.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@titansfan4life u missing my point. When I say who was Michael Roos I wasn't saying like he wasn't a solid or great tackle coming out of college.
I am saying he wasn't mentioned as a top tackle in the Nfl until he came to TN.
He played RT his entire rookie season & got his technique & experience down pack. Robinson potential is scary & though he has questions about his pass protection;that can be taught.
He has everything you look for in an elite LT.
He has size, strength, power, long arms, agility,footwork can bend his knees.
His weakness is technique & hand placement.
In order to win in this league it starts in the trenches as we both know.
With CJ being gone come next yr, a injury prone QB in locker, we must run the ball effectively & at will.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

Michael Roos was a great prospect. Only problem was he came from a FCS school so he was underrated. Had he gone to a big time school, he would've likely been a top 10 pick. Roos excelled at both pass-blocking and run blocking so really this comparison doesn't make sense. My argument is why take a guy that high when you have no idea about his pass-blocking. Idc that you think he has elite measurables. Plenty of OTs in the past did too and some ended being a big time bust.

So you knock Robinson, because his team didn't pass alot, even though he faced some of the best talent in the nation, but Michael Roos was a no brainer top prospect even though he played nobodies in college? Have you seen him do poorly in pass protection, or are you just assuming, because Auburn didn't pass much last season?

He might be raw in pass protection, but that doesn't mean for sure he will bust. You act like he never ever faced a pass rush, ever.

**RIP Steve McNair**
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid reminds me of Jason peters when I watch him. He's gone be a HOF I just can tell if his career is healthy.
We all know how I feel bout drafting an OL in the 1st round, hell last yr I wanted Star at number 10 or Dee miller.
But Robinson to me is the best OL potential wise in this yr draft.
Now think what kind of problems we will have with clowney & jj Wyatt;if Hou takes the freak.
ROOS on a scale of 1-10 is an 8.5 a
Levitre ? I want to give him an 8 but he played like a 6 last yr.
Swenkie I say 5 only cause he was hurt.
Warmack 6.5 technique & pass protection is his only flaws I see in his game when I watch him.
RT Stewart a 4
Stingly ?
We have to be able to protect our QB & run effectively & at will
Heading into next season.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

So you knock Robinson, because his team didn't pass alot, even though he faced some of the best talent in the nation, but Michael Roos was a no brainer top prospect even though he played nobodies in college? Have you seen him do poorly in pass protection, or are you just assuming, because Auburn didn't pass much last season?

He might be raw in pass protection, but that doesn't mean for sure he will bust. You act like he never ever faced a pass rush, ever.

Did I say he was going to bust? Didn't think so. I simply stated I wouldn't be comfortable taking a OT that high if they haven't shown the ability to pass-block. It was Auburns scheme but still, that's just the way it is.

Last edited by ttitansfan4life on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against OT at this point. Free agency will tell us a lot more about what we need to do there.

Contrary to what a lot of people have us selecting I do not want to choose a DT at 11. I'm all for building a defense with playmakers up front, but I'm just not confident in any of the players available and I don't think we need another UT beside Casey.

I could see us going:

OT- I think Stingily can play but after 2014 we may need to replace Roos as well.
DE/OLB - Passrusher. I think Ayers will bounce back and the need here may change if we don't cut Wimbley.
CB - I'm for tagging Verner. Should have the money once we make some cuts. Even if we don't I'm not sure CB is a huge need. I like BWW and Sensabaugh.
S - Pryor and Dix are intriguing and there isn't really anything more than stop gap solutions in free agency. The good safeties will be resigned or tagged.

That's pretty much it for 11. If we trade back that list doesn't change much.

In the second round I'm looking at Ka'deem Carey, Jimmie Ward, and Jeremiah Attaochu.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

Did I say he was going to bust? Didn't think so. I simply stated I wouldn't be comfortable taking a OT that high if they haven't shown the ability to pass-block. It was Auburns scheme but still, that's just the way it is. Matthews has shown he can d

You implied it. Your argument seems to be that he never pass blocked therefore you don't want him. Is there no way for him to develop as a pass protector?

Ultimately though... this thread is about Ray Horton's defense, not tackles. I still want to know everyone else's opinion on the run defense. I'm just not sold that our current group, even in a new alignment, even with some new LBs, will be able to stop the run.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were we really that bad against the run? I know we're ranked below average in ypg but we were behind in a lot of games and still only 8 ypg away from being top ten in run defense. We were 12th in yards per carry. Not bad but still room to improve.

We're 7th in 3rd down percentage on defense so we weren't giving up too many yards on 1st and 2nd downs that we couldn't get off the field. I think this stat kind of got worse during the year as it seemed like we started to play softer in the secondary.

We were horrible at stopping the run on the goalline. 29th in rushing TDs allowed.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@titanSS we suck against the run. The only time we didn't stop the run was if the opposing team didn't have a running game of their own.
Watch the Hou game 1st time we played I think they had a 100yards on us before halftime.
Watch the colts game we lost Donald brown look like a beast.
The cardinals game mendanhall hall got off on some big runs.
Sea game we got gushed for big games.
We also have a big problem containing mobile QBs.
& the Denver game we were bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: