Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DL added

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DL added Reply with quote

Quarterback- Eli is our guy, no questions. He only has 2 years left, so he will be up for an extension. Lowering his cap number could give us some more FA money. Ryan Nassib should assume the backup role in 2014. If we need a vet again, that's not a good sign for his future here.

- Suggestions- None

Running Back- David Wilson has yet to prove himself, and worse yet, has a spinal stinosis condition that will make him prone to future neck injuries. He can't be counted on in the future. Andre Brown is effective and a solid in pass-protection. Resigning him should be a priority if the price is right. Drafting a well-rounded RB would also be smart. Bishop Sankey and Charles Sims are among those who should be considered. Signing another vet wouldn't hurt either.

- Suggestions- Resign Andre Brown, Draft an all-purpose back in Rnds 3-5

Wide Recievers- Let Hakeem Nicks walk. He will cost too much money for his value and his lethargic attitude and constant injuries mean its time to cut the rope. Rueben Randle, Victor Cruz, and Jerrel Jernigan will enter the 2014 offseason as the top trio. If Bob McAdoo uses multi-WR sets like Green Bay, an outside WR could be signed. Signing a Jeremy Maclin-type on a 1-year prove-it deal to reestablish him as injury-free and a weapon is a possibility. I'm not entirely sold on Jernigan being a prove threat yet, but this would allow him and Cruz to work their magic in the slot. A late pick (like a comp) or a vet min FA would round out the core.

- Suggestions- Let Nicks walk, sign a “prove-it” FA, and draft another one depending on the value

Tight Ends- Brandon Myers was a failure. Although he flashed late, he isn't a run blocker and wasn't connecting with Eli. His contract was more of a one-year deal anyway, so just void it and move on. Adrien Robinson hasn't done anything yet and was often inactive. Larry Donnell is more of a depth/ST type. A weapon would be a great help here and history shows it doesn't have to be a player with elite skills.

- Suggestions- Cut Myers and look at the free agent options to find the best scheme fit. Texan's Garrett Graham? Troy Niklas is an option in Rounds 3-4 or take a chance late on Cal TE Richard Rodgers. Hope ARob turns it around.

Offensive Lineman- Let's face it, our OL sucked. Baas was either injured or sucked, Snee's injuries have sapped his ability, Boothe is just decent, Beatty was injured, again, and wasn't good when he did play. On the bright side, Justin Pugh was good. If the Giants plan on trying him at LT, then we'll either have our long-term answer or another hole. Stephen Goodin and Eric Herman could take steps forward that James Brewer and Brandon Mosley haven't.

- Suggestions- June-1 David Baas, let Chris Snee go, resign Boothe and sign a top-tier interior OL. Draft a OT as high as Round 1 that would allow Pugh to move to OG.

Defensive Tackle- Linval Joseph was clearly our best DT. That's both good and bad with Joseph entering FA. Resigning him should be a priority to keep our DL rotation young and improving, but he isn't worth blowing our cap over. Big Hank and Cullen Jenkins are next in line and will be back. Mike Patterson and Shaun Rogers were solid run-stuffers, but are replaceable. Kuhn provides decent depth.

- Suggestions- Resign Joseph, draft an interior pass-rusher as soon as Rnd 2 (Aaron Donald?), and get Patterson back on another vet min deal.

Defensive End- Tuck was our most consistent DE and finished with 12 sacks. He is a FA, but at age 31, he could be an affordable resign if we guarantee most of the money upfront. Kiwi was just awful and needs to be our 2nd June-1 cut. DaMonster needs to get stronger, but with that will come more playing time. The hope is JPP can recapture his dominant form as he is in what amounts to a contract year. With JPP and DaMonster definites, we need at least 2 other DEs to fill the rotation (Jenkins can fill in as well).

- Suggestions- Resign Tuck, either draft a DE in the first 2 rounds or a late round project. 4-3 DEs are hard to find. Kony Ealy is rising up boards and could be our first pick, a possible late-round projects include Ethan Westbrooks from West Texas A&M. Sign a cheap vet like Matt Shaugnessy who was misplaced in Arizona's 3-4.

Linebackers- TBD
- Suggestions- TBD

Safeties- TBD
- Suggestions- TBD

Cornerbacks- TBD
- Suggestions- TBD

Special Teams- TBD
- Suggestions- TBD

Last edited by fracdaddy14 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DT added Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Draft a OT as high as Round 1 that would allow Pugh to move to OG.

Why does everyone want to move our best tackle to guard?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DT added Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

I have no idea, Pugh played LT at the best University of all time and RT in his rookie year for NYG. He did great at RT for us
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DT added Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

I have no idea, Pugh played LT at the best University of all time and RT in his rookie year for NYG. He did great at RT for us

I believe he graded out as the best rookie tackle this year. The ONE good player we had on our line last year Razz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DT added Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Acgott wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

I believe he graded out as the best rookie tackle this year. The ONE good player we had on our line last year Razz

Exactly. There is more value in drafting a G in the second or third and keeping Pugh at RT. There is a lot of defensive talent in round 1 - as well as someone like Ebron to solve the TE dilemma.
Harbinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fracdaddy14's Offseason Assestment- Offense, DT added Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

Because they cry if OL isn't the first round pick. And since it's a pure reach to get a guard round 1, the next step is to draft an OT and move Pugh.

However if at some point Pugh can be moved to be the new starting LT/C then you gotta do it.
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hope for offense wise is to sign a WR2 like james jones or deckers (jones preferably), maybe sign a TE like graham or pettigrew and if not draft one in the early stages of the draft, sign an Olinemen like asomah from KC and draft one maybe 2nd round like yankey if hes available
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
my hope for offense wise is to sign a WR2 like james jones or deckers (jones preferably), maybe sign a TE like graham or pettigrew and if not draft one in the early stages of the draft, sign an Olinemen like asomah from KC and draft one maybe 2nd round like yankey if hes available

Way too much money for all of that. Even getting one of those FA's is probably not happening
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

Way too much money for all of that. Even getting one of those FA's is probably not happening

just a hope lol but we have a nice amount of money to spend on FAs, first resign who we need to then go out and make a splash, even though we arent known for making big time FA splashes
my main concern is OL and a WR to allow cruz to play slot, TE we can draft one or progress Robinson
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

just a hope lol but we have a nice amount of money to spend on FAs, first resign who we need to then go out and make a splash, even though we arent known for making big time FA splashes
my main concern is OL and a WR to allow cruz to play slot, TE we can draft one or progress Robinson

James Jones and Decker are going to commend about 7-9 mill/yr. Not worth it for a #2
Graham will be franchised or cost 20 mill/yr not happening
Pettigrew is slow and has drop problems, no thank you
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

James Jones and Decker are going to commend about 7-9 mill/yr. Not worth it for a #2

i meant garrett graham not jimmy graham lol
how else are we gonna get another WR? maybe someone like maclin? im not feeling a first rounder on a WR if it isnt sammy watkins so i think FA would be our best option
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

how else are we gonna get another WR? maybe someone like maclin? im not feeling a first rounder on a WR if it isnt sammy watkins so i think FA would be our best option

For WR, we will probably sign someone with concerns such as Maclin or an old veteran then draft someone in the middle rounds.

I know nothing about Garrett Graham
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

For WR, we will probably sign someone with concerns such as Maclin or an old veteran then draft someone in the middle rounds.

Maclin would be a good sign. He offers huge potential if he is healthy. We preferred him over Nicks and were gonna trade up with the Lions to get him but Eagles grabbed him a pick before.. So I think he is in play. Not sure if the Eagles will let him get away.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a strong possability as well...but something tell me to not rule out us bringing back Mario Manningham.

Kodaraw wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

Maclin would be a good sign. He offers huge potential if he is healthy. We preferred him over Nicks and were gonna trade up with the Lions to get him but Eagles grabbed him a pick before.. So I think he is in play. Not sure if the Eagles will let him get away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: