Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FM30's Mock Offseason (Post Superbowl)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: FM30's Mock Offseason (Post Superbowl) Reply with quote

Ok, now its time to get serious. This took me forever and a day, so go easy on me fellas.

Coaching Changes

Head Coach – Jason Garrett
Offensive Coordinator – Bill Callahan/Scott Linehan
Defensive Coordinator – Rod Marinelli
Special Teams Coordinator – Rich Bisaccia

Reworking Contracts

Currently: $23,056,591 over the cap

Restructure Tony Romo, QB – Saves $10,036,000
Restructure Brandon Carr, CB – Saves $5,077,500
Restructure Sean Lee, LB – Saves $3,816,000
Restructure Jason Witten, TE – Saves $3,033,750

Paycut for DeMarcus Ware, DE – Saves $7,432,250 (Same as if we cut him, he gets more money than he would on open market)

Cut Phil Costa, C – Saves $1,500,000
Cut Corey Irvin, DT – Saves $730,000
Cut Everette Brown, DE – Saves $730,000
Cut Tyler Clutts, FB – Saves $645,000
Cut Frank Kearse, DT – Saves $645,000
Cut Martez Wilson, LB – Saves $645,000
Cut Orie Lemon, LB – Saves $570,000
Cut Lance Lewis, WR – Saves $495,000
Cut Jamar Newsome, WR – Saves $495,000
Cut Chris DeGeare, G – Saves $495,000
Cut Quinton Spears, LB – Saves $495,000
Cut Jabara Williams, LB – Saves $495,000
Cut Jakar Hamilton, S – Saves $485,600
Cut Tristan Okpalaugo, DE – Saves $420,000
Cut Jeff Olsen, G – Saves $420,000
Cut Tim Benford, WR – Saves $420,000
Cut Jonathan Stewart, LB – Saves $420,000

(June 1st) Cut Miles Austin, WR – Saves $5,500,000

(The math wont add up due to the rule of 51)

New Cap Space: $16,455,495

Re-Sign

Edgar Jones, DE – One-Year Contract
Base - $730,000
Signing Bonus - $10,000

Jarius Wynn, DE – One-Year Contract
Base - $730,000
Signing Bonus - $10,000

Free Agency

Henry Melton, DT – Three-Year Contract ($11,500,000 Guaranteed)
Base - $2,000,000 | $2,500,000 | $3,250,000
Signing Bonus - $1,250,000 | $1,250,000 | $1,250,000
Miscellaneous - $0,500,000 | $0,750,000 | $0,750,000
Cap Number - $3,750,000 | $4,500,000 | $5,250,000

The Cowboys have a lot going for them if they can clear enough cap space to pursue Melton. First of all, Melton is a native of Cedar Hill, Texas, and may want to return home and be closer to his family. On top of that, his former defensive line coach, Rod Marinelli, is now the defensive coordinator in Dallas. A reunion between Marinelli and Melton may be in order. As for what Melton can do for the Cowboys, he is a proven, disruptive three technique that Marinelli clearly believes is quick twitch enough for the job. The 27 year old has been relatively productive in a similar system in Chicago, racking up 13.0 sacks in two years. He is, however, coming off a torn ACL, so caution must be taken when wording the contract to protect against injury. Should he return to form, Dallas will have one of the top three techniques in the NFL for a very reasonable price. Contract comparable to Dwight Freeney’s deal with San Diego, with one added year. This allows him to re-test the market when he is 30 years old.

Danario Alexander, WR – Two-Year Contract ($500,000 Guaranteed)
Base - $900,000 | $900,000
Signing Bonus - $025,000 | $025,000
Cap Number - $925,000 | $925,000

In my opinion, this is the definition of a low-risk, high-reward player. Alexander, 25, has a very unfortunate history of injuries, most recently tearing an ACL before the season even started. In fact, Alexander has never played in more than 10 games in a season. But, when healthy, Alexander is a dangerous weapon on the football field. The 6’5, 217 pounder has caught 83 passes for 1,395 yards and 10 touchdowns in just 28 games played. I am not suggesting that the Cowboys should rely on Alexander to be their solution to losing Miles Austin. Rather, I am saying that he could be a very rewarding pickup for a team that offers him a contract with very little money guaranteed. Alexander has flashed brilliance, so I would give him a shot to prove he can stay healthy for at least 12 games this year. If not, it’s really not a huge loss.

*According to overthecap.com, the Cowboys should still be around $10,300,495. Will be around the same amount for 2014 if they calculated everything correctly.

Draft

*To prevent any arguments on player availability, I am using rankings from CBSSports. Leeway of 8-10 spots.

Current Draft Picks

Round 1

After seeing Aaron Donald and Kony Ealy come off the board before Dallas can pick, Jerry Jones elects to trade back once again. After selecting the dynamic Johnny Manziel, the Browns look to move up to 16 to grab his favorite collegiate target, Mike Evans. With a plethora of picks to spend, Cleveland is able to move up with ease. Dallas sends pick 1.16 to Cleveland in exchange for picks 1.26, 3.71, and 6.164.

Updated Draft Picks

With the 26th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State University.

Height: 6’2
Weight: 298

Many people view Jernigan as a three technique, but not I. In my personal opinion, Jernigan’s best position in the NFL is at the one technique. He shows the ability to split double teams, he plays the run very well, and he occasionally provides some interior pass rush. His biggest issue, in my opinion, is his snap anticipation, or lack thereof. Jernigan is often the last one off the line of scrimmage, and that hurts him when he is rushing the passer. Putting that aside for now, he possesses very quick and strong hands, and sheds blocks very well. He needs to be more efficient with his hands, but the talent is there and he has the right mentality. He will slot into the defensive line rotation from day one.

Round 2

With the 47th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select OG Xavier Su’a-Filo, UCLA.

Height: 6’4
Weight: 305

Over the past few drafts, the Cowboys have had a tendency to make a proactive pick in the second round, even if the player will not certainly start right away. This time, while the pick is proactive, Su’a-Filo has a very strong chance of starting right off the bat. Pairing Su’a-Filo next to Tyron Smith gives us one of the most athletic left sides in the NFL. This allows us to slide Leary over to the right side to compete with Bernadeau next to Doug Free. In addition, the left side of the line will have three members no older than 23 years of age. It should be a very bright time for the Dallas offensive line.

Round 3

With the 71st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select DT Dominique Easley, Florida.

Weight: 285

This pick is going to cause a bit of a fuss, and I know that. It probably is not very safe practice to select a defensive tackle with knee issues to back up a defensive tackle with knee issues. However, the talent at this pick is too good to pass up. Easley, in my opinion, offers everything Aaron Donald does plus more, but the injury risk knocks him down at least two rounds. I love the way Easley plays. He clearly loves being on the football field. Instead of taking a risk on an injured player in the second round, lets try our luck at the third round. If he stays healthy, this could be one of the big steals of the 2014 draft, and would provide a great stable of three techniques for the future as well.

With the 78th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select DE Michael Sam, Missouri.

Weight: 260

For those wanting to say that Sam can only play in a 3-4 defense because of his size, please just watch him play. He is so much better with his hand in the ground, rushing the passer. Sam has a lot of natural flexibility and bends the edge with ease. He possesses powerful legs and pretty long arms (33 ¼ inches), which help him drive blockers back and keep their arms at bay. Contrary to what you may think, Sam plays the run fairly well, as he can duck under blocks and make plays in the backfield. He can get lost in all the chaos, but teams will want him because of his pass rushing ability. He has a fantastic motor and passion for the game. Sam has drawn comparisons to Robert Mathis and Elvis Dumervil.

Round 4

With the 115th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select S Dion Bailey, Southern California.

Height: 6’0
Weight: 200

I was going to go another direction, but CBSSports has Bailey as their 128th overall player for some reason, so he fits here. You might be thinking, “Oh great, another fourth round project at safety”. I disagree with this statement. Bailey is far from a project; he is a very developed player who is still adjusting to the switch from linebacker back to safety. When I watch Bailey play, I see a playmaker that flashes the ability to play single high and lock down the deep part of the field. I think the Cowboys have two decent strong safeties in Wilcox and Church, but I think we lack a true playmaking free safety. Plus, I think the value here is fantastic, even though the guys at CBSSports disagree with me.

Round 5

With the 146th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida.

Height: 6’5
Weight: 245

A round too high for CBSSports, but give me his upside right here. Aaron Lynch has arguably the highest ceiling in the entire draft aside from Jadeveon Clowney. Lynch flashed the ability of a top five prospect during his freshman year at Notre Dame, but transferred to South Florida, lost 35 pounds, and has not looked the same. Lynch is 6’5 with what appear to be massively long arms on tape, and proved early in his career that he can easily carry 270+ pounds. In terms of raw talent, Lynch has it, and if anyone knows how to get the most out of him, it will be Marinelli. Why did the Cowboys spend so much time cleaning out the locker room and bringing in “RKGs”? So that when the opportunity presents itself to draft a guy with questionable character, but a lot of talent, you can surround him with the right kind of guys.

Round 6

With the 164th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select QB Aaron Murray, Georgia.

Height: 6’1
Weight: 201

Murray is an incredibly talented quarterback who just was not blessed with great size. Unfortunately, Murray only stands at 6’1 and weighs in at 201 pounds. To further put a damper on Murray, he is currently rehabbing a torn ACL (seems to be a common theme, huh). However, Murray also possesses a strong, accurate arm, and a great football mind. Seeing as Dallas doesn’t need Murray to start, or even stand in as a backup right away, this makes for a great pick as Murray can sit for a few years before taking the reigns himself. Murray has drawn comparisons that range from Matt Barkley to Drew Brees.

Round 7

With the 206th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select P Kirby Van Der Kamp, Iowa State.

Height: 6’4
Weight: 202

Okay, I know CBSSports says that Kirby is a 5th-6th round prospect, but I am breaking my rule for a punter. In any case, Chris Jones is a free agent, and it will be cheaper to bring in a rookie at the end of the draft. Honestly, Van Der Kamp is probably a better punter anyways. He is one of the best around at dropping the ball inside the opponent’s 20-yard line. Do not underestimate the power of good field position.

With the 215th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select OT Matt Hall, Belhaven.

Height: 6’9
Weight: 323

When you see this kind of height/weight/movement in a tackle prospect, put his school to the side. You can work with him on technique and getting him caught up to the speed of the NFL. This late in the draft, I would love to take a chance on a guy like Hall. I mean, why not, right?

UDFA

RB Zurlon Tipton, Central Michigan
FB Kiero Small, Arkansas
WR Austin Franklin, New Mexico State
OT Donald Hawkins, Texas
C Gus Handler, Colorado
DE Chaz Sutton, South Carolina
DT Chris Whaley, Texas
LB Boseko Lokombo, Oregon
CB Ciante Evans, Nebraska

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a 10.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
muncy54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work... Like the draft and FA signing although I may wouldnt draft 4 DL if we got Melton and kept Ware but I wouldn't complain if Jerry really did
Jin_Jin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be greatly satisfied with this. Having Melton, Crawford, Hayden, Jernigan, and Easley rotate at DT would be phenomenal to our depth situation. However, 3 of those guys are rebounding from serious injuries. (Crawford, Melton, and Easley). I like the depth, though. Lynch and Sam give us depth at edge-rushing and possibly LB in certain packages. Either way, they're players that have experience playing in a 4-3.

I like getting our RG of the future, along with selecting to develop Murray behind Romo/Orton.

Also, if you feel like tweaking your mock a bit, don't forget we get a compensation pick for Mike Jenkins, since he started 15 games for the Raiders. I'm assuming a 6th. Either way it's an extra pick. Good Job. I would love for this to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would make me happy! Even happier if Nix/Hageman was the 1st round 1 tech we drafted. Great work FM!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love that.

- Just curious, who do you see pick Donald before our pick at #16?

- I have a hard time seeing Ware taking that big a paycut to be honest, but I do believe that he will end up taking one.

- Why cut Austin and sign Alexander? I'd probably prefer getting Austin to take a paycut down to what it would cost us to cut him, he has shown that he can put together a 1000 yard season and he isn't comming off a torn ACL.

- I could see Melton be looking for a 1 or 2 year contract if he can't get a long one. I think 3 years would be a bit too much in the middle, after the 3 years he would be 30 which is a number that could scare a lot of people away from giving him a contract with a bunch of gurantees, so I don't think him and his agent would be much interested in a 3 year contract if they think he is good and healthy enough to get a big one soon. Also not sure how our cap situation looks the next 3 years? Will we have the room for Tyron/Dez/Murray with this addition? isn't near a cap genious myself..

But I really do love your picks, maybe just not the Sam pick since i'm not his biggest fan but a guy like Lynch is a great pickup IMO. I really like the idea of drafting Jernigan as the 1 and Easley as the 3 for this scheme. Good job, FM.
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you draft, but would rather not sign Melton. With all the upcoming FA on the horizon would rather save the money so we aren't so cap strapped every damn year.

Just don't see Bailey being there in the 4th, and it might be hit or miss that Easley is there in the 3rd as well.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Free Agency.

I am not nearly as high on Jernigan as other people. I think it would be unfortunate to draft him in the 1st.

Love the 2nd round pick. Xavier is fantastic. Our left side would be set for a decade.

FANTASTIC pick with Easley. I consider him the best DT in the draft.

Frankly the draft as a whole is great. I like all but two picks. The punter and the small-game QB. But I can't really complain. Would be a home run draft and off season.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this mock offseason except for the trade back. Assuming that Hageman is there with the 16th pick, I would rather have Hageman over Jernigan as the one tech. Also Calvin Pryor isn't a bad consolation prize and is a lot better than Dion Bailey imo.

But Dallas does decide to trade back this is still a great draft.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
Loved this mock offseason except for the trade back. Assuming that Hageman is there with the 16th pick, I would rather have Hageman over Jernigan as the one tech. Also Calvin Pryor isn't a bad consolation prize and is a lot better than Dion Bailey imo.

But Dallas does decide to trade back this is still a great draft.

I guess that is where we differ. I think Jernigan is far better than Hageman right now, even though Hageman's ceiling is a bit higher because of his athleticism. I have cooled immensely on Hageman though. I don't think he's going to be that great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: "i HOPE THE COWBOYS DON'T TRADE BACK\ UNLESS? Reply with quote

There should be a Pro bowl talent there @ the 16\17th pick no matter what side of the ball? If there's a bidding war and Dallas receives picks that you wouldn't think that they would have received then let's go for it. I like the idea of cutting Miles Austin but I don't like the idea of signing a player that is also injury prone, we can always get one in the draft. My feelings are that the Cowboys are in a rebuilding mold so let's try to avoid signing big money free agents @ this time because I feel we are still far away to win a Super Bowl, wait like the Seattle Seahawks did build through the draft and coach up your own players and then add a few pieces of the puzzle.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup this really is a good mock...and i too would take Jernigan over Hageman any day of the week...building both lines thru the draft is the way to go...Excellent talent on the D line which will make the back 7 that much better

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: