Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49er History & Past Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEGster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: 49er History & Past Discussion Reply with quote

Did not see such a thread so I figured I'd start one with a question that has puzzled me since the mid 1990's

What was the front office thinking putting out running backs like Derek Loville and Terry Kirby, in Steve Young's prime? Did we really have absolutely no cap flexibility? What was the fiasco with Johnny Johnson, who was supposed to be our starting RB in 1996?

No surprise as soon as we added a legit starting RB in Hearst, the team returned to contending but by that time the defense had aged and declined
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i recall Hearst was somewhat of a bust leaving Arizona. He won the comeback player twice i think as well due to his play in S.F. then when he came back from a Inj. You also missed a terrible terrible RB the team let line up next to Steve Young the dreaded Lawrence Phillips debacle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXFlyteXx wrote:
If i recall Hearst was somewhat of a bust leaving Arizona. He won the comeback player twice i think as well due to his play in S.F. then when he came back from a Inj. You also missed a terrible terrible RB the team let line up next to Steve Young the dreaded Lawrence Phillips debacle.

Reading up, I guess we offered Rodney Hampton a contract in 1996 but Giants matched it. I doubt we defeat the 1996 Packers with him and waiting an extra season for Hearst might have payed off long term.

That 1999 seasons is sort of a blur to me, going from Conference Title game to 4-12 will do that but I rememeber
- Getting trashed by (would turn out a very good) Jaguars team the opening game.
- But defeating the Saints the following week before the A.Williams missed blitz by Phillips. Until recently, I forgot that we were up in that Arizona game when that occured. So heading towards a decent season start.

I don't remember his actual play but looking at Steve's numbers, they were down before the hit.

Nevertheless, the defense was atrocious. Ultimately taking a flier on Lawrence Phillips illustrated how desperate we were to continue making the playoffs.

But those 1995 & 1996 teams were on the cusp of contending for a title. A reliable running back could have put us over the top and IMO would have.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXFlyteXx wrote:

He was a bust in Arizona except for one year, but then prior to coming to San Francisco, he went to Cincinnati, where he was very effective. He hated playing for the Bengals though and he left. When we got him, he was still an injury risk, but he had started to deliver on the promise that made him a top 3(I think he was third his draft year) pick.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have kept Ricky Watters, but I believe our cap situation was a mess at the time

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
We should have kept Ricky Watters, but I believe our cap situation was a mess at the time

True, but had Hearst not broken his ankle on the first play of that playoff game in Atlanta, we would have had another Super Bowl victory to celebrate, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: