Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Film Breakdown of Bad Calls Against Seahawks NFC Cship Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
The clock problems are the things that stand out most to me. I'm not saying we got screwed but for real, do we ever go a game without Harbs losing his mind over the clock? That man watches the clock like no one I have ever seen. With the way he rides the refs I wouldn't be a bit shocked if they cheated him out of a few seconds here and there on purpose. We always seem to be the victims of some clock mismanagement stuff, and every single time, Harbaugh goes ballistic over it.

The way it was explained to me (on the delay of game penalty), it's that it took a few seconds for the refs to spot the ball and signal the game clock to resume, but the play clock started once the play ended, explaining the difference seen on the game clock. Does anybody know the rules concerning the play clock? Is it independent of the game clock in this way, or does it have to start exactly when the game clock is resumed, when the game clock is in fact running? I'd think it's the latter, that the play clock has to be reset and start at 40 when the ref signals the game clock to resume. I'll look into it. And I assumed running out of bounds stopped the game clock altogether... that play confuses me.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I wikipedia'd the matter a little. First, running out of bound didn't stop the clock, because it wasn't in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Alright.

Now, this:

Quote:
In the NFL teams have 40 seconds timed from the end of the previous down, or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.

This sounds wrong... why the 25? What if the refs get things set in 10 seconds and misjudge the clock, and gives the offensive team the 25 rather than the 30 it should still have? This sounds like what happened, really. Kap goes out of bound at 11:12 (not sure about the time, but it ended with :12), and we get called for delay of game at 10:36, 36 seconds after the previous play. This is embarassing. How often does that happen?

Seriously, someone with all the games should spend countless hours checking that up. I, fortunately, don't have all the games, so I'll take a pass. Cheers.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Maiocco wrote in his article that the delay of game penalty on us where it was called in 34 seconds was actually the right call. But as for what happened with the Seahawks getting 50 plus seconds? He asked the league and they never told him why the clock was reset from the officials.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Matt Maiocco wrote in his article that the delay of game penalty on us where it was called in 34 seconds was actually the right call. But as for what happened with the Seahawks getting 50 plus seconds? He asked the league and they never told him why the clock was reset from the officials.

I read Maiocco's explanation, and it just doesn't work. I read it 3 or 4 times, it just doesn't work. If someone can explain it better, try. But as far as I can tell, it's still an officiating mistake.

TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Hawk fan to swing by, and also, in peace... though I'm doing so entirely from the perspective of a fan scratching his head about officiating in general, rather than debating the NFC Championship.

The league absolutely *needs* to kill this concept of part-time officials and drastically improve the quality of officiating. With Lord-knows how many cameras getting an amazing percentage of plays with clear views of what should be called... it's unacceptable that plays such as Bowman's in that NFC Championship game (where he'd nabbed possession and kept it, all while his knee was shattering... I hope his surgery goes perfectly, by the way, thoughts to Navorro - he's a stud) get called incorrectly, let alone the others. Fortunately, karma handled that one and the 49ers got the ball back at the 14 on the next play, rather than at the 1, but that doesn't erase the egregious error, it just manages to nullify it, as far as the game goes.

When an important game gets officiated so poorly (and there were MANY bad calls in that game, not all of which benefitted Seattle), it's not a feeling of being robbed of a victory... it's a feeling of being robbed of a fair game. Sure, some Niner fans are complaining that it was a conspiracy, and some Hawk fans say the same about Super Bowl XL... but the majority of the more mature fan base just feel as if losing the opportunity to play on an even playing field was the real crime, and it's frustrating. Trust me... I feel your pain.

That said... I can't wait to see what our two teams do in the offseason to keep pushing this as the league's greatest rivalry. Let's both win 13 of our first 15 and see if the schedule makers smile on us and give us a week 17 game, in your new stadium... for all the marbles.

Be well, y'all... praying for Bowman, and we'll see you in September!

TommyC376 on the Sig
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
it's not a feeling of being robbed of a victory... it's a feeling of being robbed of a fair game.

Great sentence. The game wasn't rigged, the refs didn't cost us the game, but in many ways, it must be disheartening to a team when it sees its efforts being cock-blocked by poor officiating. It comes on both sides, not just ours. When Anquan headbutted a seahawk and wasn't called for a personal foul, I'm sure it threw a few players off their game, if only for a moment, if only just one. When a flagrant hold, a block in the back, a pass interference isn't called, you not only lose on that particular play, but on others, because you might play with more caution the next time around.

It's like in baseball, when each umpire has a different strike zone. Players in the NFL have to tip toe a line and see what constitutes a penalty for one crew, or even just one referee, and not for another. Even at that, it's so random, the same play can happen twice in a row and will be called differently.

We have the technology, it's 2014, we should use it. I don't think it would detract from the spirit of the game, as the spirit of the game should be one of fairness. That's why referees were introduced in the first place, to make sure the game was played the right way. Now, referees should be refereed, so we make sure the game is refereed the right way.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
it's not a feeling of being robbed of a victory... it's a feeling of being robbed of a fair game.

Absolutely hilarious coming from a fan of the team whose fans delight in keeping the other team from being able to audible, or hear the snap count, or call out defensive adjustments - all of which are a normal part of the game, and all of which their team is able to do. "Fair" is not a word I would expect Hawk fans to be particularly familiar with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Absolutely hilarious coming from a fan of the team whose fans delight in keeping the other team from being able to audible, or hear the snap count, or call out defensive adjustments - all of which are a normal part of the game, and all of which their team is able to do. "Fair" is not a word I would expect Hawk fans to be particularly familiar with.

Dude c'mon.

Great post TDA. It's true what you said. It's not cool to leave a game with a bunch of "what ifs" running through your head. If my team loses I want to look at it and say "those guys beat us fair and square and the zebras stayed out of it"
gridirongorilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I just can't get in to videos like this. We LOST the game. Sure it was frustrating to see mysterious forces working against us, but the fact is we got beat. We need to move on.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gridirongorilla wrote:
Sorry, but I just can't get in to videos like this. We LOST the game. Sure it was frustrating to see mysterious forces working against us, but the fact is we got beat. We need to move on.

And there's no saying all the correct calls in the world would have made us win either. Seattle won, that's the end of it. But officiating was bad.

SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
Second Hawk fan to swing by, and also, in peace... though I'm doing so entirely from the perspective of a fan scratching his head about officiating in general, rather than debating the NFC Championship.

The league absolutely *needs* to kill this concept of part-time officials and drastically improve the quality of officiating. With Lord-knows how many cameras getting an amazing percentage of plays with clear views of what should be called... it's unacceptable that plays such as Bowman's in that NFC Championship game (where he'd nabbed possession and kept it, all while his knee was shattering... I hope his surgery goes perfectly, by the way, thoughts to Navorro - he's a stud) get called incorrectly, let alone the others. Fortunately, karma handled that one and the 49ers got the ball back at the 14 on the next play, rather than at the 1, but that doesn't erase the egregious error, it just manages to nullify it, as far as the game goes.

When an important game gets officiated so poorly (and there were MANY bad calls in that game, not all of which benefitted Seattle), it's not a feeling of being robbed of a victory... it's a feeling of being robbed of a fair game. Sure, some Niner fans are complaining that it was a conspiracy, and some Hawk fans say the same about Super Bowl XL... but the majority of the more mature fan base just feel as if losing the opportunity to play on an even playing field was the real crime, and it's frustrating. Trust me... I feel your pain.

That said... I can't wait to see what our two teams do in the offseason to keep pushing this as the league's greatest rivalry. Let's both win 13 of our first 15 and see if the schedule makers smile on us and give us a week 17 game, in your new stadium... for all the marbles.

Be well, y'all... praying for Bowman, and we'll see you in September!

Nice post TDA, and I agree. Like I said earlier, Goodell needs to fix this broken system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: