Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Cassel Re-Signed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the opening day starter at QB in 2014?
Cassel (re-signed)
50%
 50%  [ 30 ]
Ponder again
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Freeman returns
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Another veteran
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Rookie (1st round)
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Rookie (later round)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

Author Message
Duff Man


Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 556
Location: Sveltville
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see a MBT selection in the poll OP, this is a problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6983
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Man wrote:
Don't see a MBT selection in the poll OP, this is a problem?


That would be option #4, since he's not on the roster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sir Fobos


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 212
Location: Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to have a veteran #2 and a project #3 with a good skillset behind the starting QB. With Cassel gone (possibly for good) the Vikes have the veteran backup in Ponder (who is probably a bad fit for Turner's offense), with no starter or #3. That puts the team at 0/3 at the position for all intents and purposes.

If Cassel cannot be signed then my next preference for the role of stopgap starter/future backup would be Whitehurst. After that I don't see any decent FA available that would be viable in an AC offense. If the Vikes miss out on those two the position will be a real problem. Maybe they would go after Freeman again and give him a shot in training camp? Possibly work out a trade for someone else?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14584
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Fobos wrote:
I prefer to have a veteran #2 and a project #3 with a good skillset behind the starting QB. With Cassel gone (possibly for good) the Vikes have the veteran backup in Ponder (who is probably a bad fit for Turner's offense), with no starter or #3. That puts the team at 0/3 at the position for all intents and purposes.

If Cassel cannot be signed then my next preference for the role of stopgap starter/future backup would be Whitehurst. After that I don't see any decent FA available that would be viable in an AC offense. If the Vikes miss out on those two the position will be a real problem. Maybe they would go after Freeman again and give him a shot in training camp? Possibly work out a trade for someone else?


How is Josh McCown not a good fit?
_________________

down but not out. I still believe!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ArcticNorseman


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2171
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that any of the FA QBs out there are, or are not, good fits, but they're not better than Cassel.

I understand the loathing hatred for Ponder, but so what? I also agree the kid will likely never start in the NFL, but if Turner could improve Alex Smith's game, why not Ponder --- if they give him a chance?

The one option we haven't discussed, and maybe it needs it's own thread, is "Which younger than 26/27, back-up QB would you trade for?"

Guys like:

Kirk Cousins
Ryan Mallet
Chase Daniel
Colt McCoy
Tyrod Taylor
T.J. Yates
Jason Campbell
Brock Osweiler
Austin Davis
Kellen Moore
and others.

There are some interesting possibilities there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25294
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw our 7th at Cleveland for Jason Campbell. Familiar with Turner's system and a solid backup/stop gap option. Maybe swap our 7th and theirs, or our 6th and their 7th. Similar to the deal we made for AJ Jefferson.

If they draft a QB they will have a young guy and Hoyer.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48050
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'd throw our 7th at Cleveland for Jason Campbell. Familiar with Turner's system and a solid backup/stop gap option. Maybe swap our 7th and theirs, or our 6th and their 7th. Similar to the deal we made for AJ Jefferson.

If they draft a QB they will have a young guy and Hoyer.


Good call, Campbell would be a solid stop gap.

I wonder if they would be at all interested in a Ponder for Campbell swap. If Cleveland is implementing Shanahan's offense as we suspect, Ponder might not be a terrible backup option behind Hoyer and whoever is drafted.

QB 1 - Jason Campbell
QB 2 - Rookie
QB 3- Charlie Whitehurst

Let the rookie develop with two veterans who have experience with Turner. Wouldnt be a bad situation for the rookie to learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14584
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.
_________________

down but not out. I still believe!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25294
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.

Career completion percentage of 60% and had never thrown more INTs than TDs despite playing in mostly vertical offenses.

He's far from terrible.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74413
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.

anything can happen!
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48050
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.


Campbell was just a notch below Cassel statistically last year. If Campbell is awful, Cassel is poor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14584
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.

anything can happen!


within reason man. Wink That old cliche got an update (but I'm not too big on cliches anymore)

After watching Campbell the past two years, you can make his stats say whatever you want. He's not good.

and if we sign him, you'll find yourself very disappointed .
_________________

down but not out. I still believe!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
I understand the loathing hatred for Ponder, but so what? I also agree the kid will likely never start in the NFL, but if Turner could improve Alex Smith's game, why not Ponder --- if they give him a chance?


Per Rotoworld, posted after Norv Turner's interview for Vikings.com went up:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6433/christian-ponder
Quote:
"The Vikings already have a young quarterback on the roster in Christian Ponder, so Norval is tacitly admitting the 2011 first-rounder is not the answer. "I think everyone is in agreement that we’re trying to add a young quarterback to the organization," Turner said matter of factly. Ponder is currently the only signal caller the Vikings have under contract for 2014, but the Vikes are going to search high and low for an alternative. If they use the No. 8 overall pick on a quarterback, the rookie would get every chance to be the Week 1 starter."
Feb 6 - 6:10 PM

_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25294
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Jason Campbell is awful though. He wouldn't last 4 games before being benched.

anything can happen!


within reason man. Wink That old cliche got an update (but I'm not too big on cliches anymore)

After watching Campbell the past two years, you can make his stats say whatever you want. He's not good.

and if we sign him, you'll find yourself very disappointed .

Only if you expect him to be a great starter.

He is what he is, the same as Cassel, a decent stop gap and good backup QB.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48050
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings wont be able to find a good starting QB to be a stop-gap QB. However, they might be able to find a good stop-gap QB. There is a big difference here. Any veteran brought in wont be a viable long-term option, those types of QBs never hit the market. You basically need a QB who can hold the fort down until the young QB is ready around midseason.

Cassel did a good job of holding the fort down, which I am fine bringing him back if he returns for under $5 million. Anything more than that starts to suggest that he is a good starter, which he is not. He is a good stop-gap, nothing more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 7 of 25

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group