Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 3-4 Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurheadTitans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally on-board the release Wimbley bandwagon now that we're switching defenses. I'd give him the option of restructuring his deal to save his spot on the team. He has had more success in being a backer in the 3-4 than being a defensive end. Would also make our transition easier since we wouldn't have another hole to fill.
Baseball: Cincinnati Reds

Tennessee Titans (FFMD 2014) Offensive Coordinator
SerenityNow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurheadTitans wrote:
I'm not totally on-board the release Wimbley bandwagon now that we're switching defenses. I'd give him the option of restructuring his deal to save his spot on the team. He has had more success in being a backer in the 3-4 than being a defensive end. Would also make our transition easier since we wouldn't have another hole to fill.

I tend to agree with this thinking. Wimbley was a very good 3-4 backer before he came here. Let's not forget why so many of us were so stoked when we signed him initially. I believe that he could still be a very valuable piece to this defense as a 3-4 backer. He would absolutely have to be willing to restructure though.

Credit to Sandwich for the signature!
2014 Adopt-A-Titan: Delanie Walker & Taylor Lewan
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerenityNow wrote:
BurheadTitans wrote:

I tend to agree with this thinking. Wimbley was a very good 3-4 backer before he came here. Let's not forget why so many of us were so stoked when we signed him initially. I believe that he could still be a very valuable piece to this defense as a 3-4 backer. He would absolutely have to be willing to restructure though.

I wouldn't go THAT far. He was good but he was great. He definitely isn't worth the 7.8 mil he is due next year. If he takes a big cut then yeah I say we keep him, but I'd rather have Worlids for that money or Orakpo for a few million more.
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gonna bump this for the Derrick Morgan discussion going on. I would count him out as a 3-4 DE or a OLB.

If he gained 10 lbs he would be the same size as Antonio Smith.

Currently he is the roughly the same size as Courtney Upshaw, Brett Keisel, James Harrison, Tamba Hali

If he lost 5-10 lbs he would be the same size as Calvin Pace, Nick Perry, Whitney Mercilus, Melvin Ingram, Connor Barwin, Jason Worilds, Ryan Kerrigan, Lamarr Woodley, Terrell Suggs

He is a bit of a tweener for a 3-4 but I think of all people Horton can use him the best. It might be better for him to actually lose a few pounds and have someone else take his projected 3-4 DE spot. He could come in on obvious passing downs and other certain packages and still be a good enough size to play some 4-3 DE.
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
Just gonna bump this for the Derrick Morgan discussion going on. I would count him out as a 3-4 DE or a OLB.

Currently he is the roughly the same size as Courtney Upshaw, Brett Keisel, James Harrison, Tamba Hali

If he lost 5-10 lbs he would be the same size as Calvin Pace, Nick Perry, Whitney Mercilus, Melvin Ingram, Connor Barwin, Jason Worilds, Ryan Kerrigan, Lamarr Woodley, Terrell Suggs

He is a bit of a tweener for a 3-4 but I think of all people Horton can use him the best. It might be better for him to actually lose a few pounds and have someone else take his projected 3-4 DE spot. He could come in on obvious passing downs and other certain packages and still be a good enough size to play some 4-3 DE.

I just don't think he is athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB. But that is just me. I think his better bet is to bulk up and play the end.

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdTitansFan56 wrote:
UTMoc10 wrote:

I just don't think he is athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB. But that is just me. I think his better bet is to bulk up and play the end.

Yeah there is a lot more to factor in to how someone will fair in a position change than what they weigh. Morgan does not have the swivel in his hips to play OLB. He would be absolutely horrible in pass coverage.

If he did nothing but situationally rush off of the edge that would be his limit as an OLB. As far as playing a 3-4 DE he might be able to make it work, but I don't think he would be anywhere above average. Pitoitua is much better suited.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan would be awful in pass coverage. And he already misses out on the QB just barely, so why move him back further away from him. Then he would not even get close and bring no pressure.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 50 TKLS, 2 SACKS, 2 INTS, 2 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 9 TKLS, 0 SACKS
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Morgan is not agile enough to be a OLB in a 3-4. DE is his only spot in a 3-4.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article on what Horton may bring to our Defense

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/1/21/5327854/ray-hortons-hybrid-defense-a-primer
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Nice article on what Horton may bring to our Defense

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/1/21/5327854/ray-hortons-hybrid-defense-a-primer

I'm ready to start training camp right now. So no formation is truly a lock. It's gonna vary between offensive formations. FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
I agree, Morgan is not agile enough to be a OLB in a 3-4. DE is his only spot in a 3-4.

Neither Harrison nor Woodley were particularly agile when they were uninjured and dominant.

just sayin...
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fan of a 3-4 team (see my sig and avatar below), you guys could probably already play it with the current roster if you just have Derrick Morgan put on 10 pounds, Wimbley played OLB with Oakland and Ayers was a natural 3-4 stand up edge rusher in college (at UCLA), anyway, the only question marks as far as the front 7 is concerned would be at both ILB spots which, like others here have said, they could just sign a cheap FA quickfix for a year or 2 (Dansby) and move Brown inside at the other spot or maybe try experimenting with both Brown and one of McCarthy or Gooden inside and just keep the other for depth. I could see you guys drafting Barr, Mack or Van Noy as an eventual replacement for and depth behind Wimbley (should you decide to let him go for salary cap reasons in the near future) or in case the Ayers experiment opposite him fails, but I think you guys are a little closer to being a "complete" 3-4 ready team than a lot here are claiming to be.

In any event, though, I just hope you guys don't snag Mosley in the 1st, 'cause we need him badly here in GB (and numerous mocks I've seen have him falling to us at 21, anyway so he's our guy). Wink Ha Ha at 21 would also be nice (wet dream come true, as a matter of fact), but that doesn't sound realistic (barring a trade-up, which Ted almost never does in the 1st, so...) with St. Louis and Dallas (who are both also in dire need of a Safety) both picking before us, let's just face facts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have Mosley. I fell out of love with him the more tape I watched.

Reading the "pro" reviews he sounds great. Intelligent, athletic, etc... but I just didn't see it translate to nearly a top 10 pick. Alas, I am just a fan not a pro, so maybe I've completely missed something they haven't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: