Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans Hire Ray Horton as the DC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Quote:
@glennonsports: #Titans have hired Nick Eason as an asst. D-line coach. He worked under D-coordinator Ray Horton in Cleveland last year.

Was a player not long ago.

I remember seeing him on a old episode of "hey rooke, welcome to the NFL" on NFL network last year. Shocked Laughing
He went to Clemson and he was drafted by the Broncos. I think it was like 2004? He is moving up the coaching ranks pretty fast as a young guy. I hope he is a good coach.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
SerenityNow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking today that the switch to the 3-4 might open up a big opportunity for Zaviar Gooden to crack the starting lineup next year. I'm not completely up on his skill set since we didn't get to see much of him last year, but it did seem like he was a very similar player to Zach Brown coming out in the draft. Both of them ran the fastest 40 times of any LB in their draft classes, and I believe that speed could give him a good shot to challenge for one of the ILB positions in this 3-4. When our base defense last year was a 4-3, Zaviar was going to have a hard time ever seeing the field with Zach Brown above him on the depth chart, but now we have the opportunity to put our two fastest LBs on the field at the same time. I think it is definitely an intriguing opportunity for Zaviar to make an impact next year.

I could see our starting LB corp lining up something like this if Zaviar proves himself...

WLB: Ayers ILB: Brown ILB: Gooden SLB: Mack or Barr assuming that we'd draft one of those two.

That starting LB corp has the potential to be one of the most athletic units in the league. It's definitely something to think about and get excited for.

Credit to Sandwich for the signature!
2014 Adopt-A-Titan: Delanie Walker & Taylor Lewan
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think Derrick Morgan can fit well into the defense as a 5 tech. Arguably his best ability is to set the edge and anchor against the run. I think if he bulked up to 285-290 he could be great as a 3-4 DE.

Morgan reminds me alot of Justin smith, who if folks recall, was another high 1st round pick that developed into a solid all around DE in Cincinnati even though he never developed into a elite pass rusher. He then went to San Fran and has been arguably the most critical piece of that d-line for years. I think Morgan could develop that way as well.

**RIP Steve McNair**
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
I actually think Derrick Morgan can fit well into the defense as a 5 tech. Arguably his best ability is to set the edge and anchor against the run. I think if he bulked up to 285-290 he could be great as a 3-4 DE.

Morgan reminds me alot of Justin smith, who if folks recall, was another high 1st round pick that developed into a solid all around DE in Cincinnati even though he never developed into a elite pass rusher. He then went to San Fran and has been arguably the most critical piece of that d-line for years. I think Morgan could develop that way as well.

Spot on about Smith... he came out and never lit it up with sacks but he was and still is a great DE. I could see that being Morgan as well. Maybe not as great but like you said he's arguably the most important piece to that dline. How big is Smith? Just out of curiosity

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically done with Derrick Morgan. Yea the guy is very solid against the run but can anyone here name...idk three games in which you were watching and said to yourself "damn, Morgan is killing it today!"? Seriously the guy might make as many impact plays out there as I do.

Solid player against the run. An overall miss of a first round pick, IMO, as I feel we could have gotten the same production out of a mid-rounder. He is a very poor-man's Justin Smith, if that.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:

Agreed. I think he and Casey could be a really good pair of 3-4 DEs.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

If we run the 1-gap D like Horton suggested I would assume that Casey plays inside. 1-Gap NT's play off the should of the center, pretty close to were Casey already plays. the "1-Tech" is more of a penetrator rather than a double team magnet. His job is to push up field and collapse the pocket which we all know Casey is very good at. I feel like the one gap would also allow a place for a guy like Martin to spell Casey when he needs a breather. I do agree with Morgan being a good DE though if he bulks up a little bit. Listening to Horton he was very clear he doesn't think Morgan should be playing 60+ snaps a game and I agree. Gotta give the guy a chance to get off the field a breathe. Another reason I look Ropati could be back.

I think a lot of people forget how athletic Martin is for such a big guy. I feel like he could be a asset in the 3-4 somewhere.
Kendall Wright - 14 catches 121 yards, TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

If we run the 1-gap D like Horton suggested I would assume that Casey plays inside. 1-Gap NT's play off the should of the center, pretty close to were Casey already plays. the "1-Tech" is more of a penetrator rather than a double team magnet. His job is to push up field and collapse the pocket which we all know Casey is very good at. I feel like the one gap would also allow a place for a guy like Martin to spell Casey when he needs a breather. I do agree with Morgan being a good DE though if he bulks up a little bit. Listening to Horton he was very clear he doesn't think Morgan should be playing 60+ snaps a game and I agree. Gotta give the guy a chance to get off the field a breathe. Another reason I look Ropati could be back.

I think a lot of people forget how athletic Martin is for such a big guy. I feel like he could be a asset in the 3-4 somewhere.

I feel like he should have been an asset regardless of the formation. He is a physical monster and was a beast at Michigan.

I've always considered the 1 technique as a block absorber/pocket collapsing NT and the 3 technique as the get up the field DT. He'd be going from the outside shoulder of the guard to the shoulder of the center. I still feel like Casey is better off as a 3-4 DE where he can penetrate with someone else playing the 0 or 1 technique taking the double teams. I think he can be a better 5 technique than he was 3 technique, despite his lack of height/length.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another guy who I'm curious about Karl Klug.

He was undersized in a 4-3 but could be an intriguing option as a 3-4 end. I think Klug, Morgan, Casey and Lavar Edwards are the DE's in our 3-4.

However as much as we talk about the linemen playing 1-gap. Somebody has to be occupying blockers or Zach Brown or whoever plays ILB is going to be taking on alot of OG's next season.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
Another guy who I'm curious about Karl Klug.

He was undersized in a 4-3 but could be an intriguing option as a 3-4 end. I think Klug, Morgan, Casey and Lavar Edwards are the DE's in our 3-4.

However as much as we talk about the linemen playing 1-gap. Somebody has to be occupying blockers or Zach Brown or whoever plays ILB is going to be taking on alot of OG's next season.

I've never played in a 3-4 system before so I started reading about it ever since we signed Horton.

Basically the one-gap 3-4 scheme is going to be very similar to what our 4-3 under formation looked like last year. We could still use an improvement over Hill as our NT in the 4-3 and the 3-4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: