Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Passing League is a Myth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: The Passing League is a Myth Reply with quote

Seattle just showed the world. No matter what, football is still a game won by teams that play physical, aggressive defense and run the ball well.

Peyton Manning and his 5,000 passing yards can shove it. I'd have taken the Seahawks defense in that matchup all day. They just took the NFL's crafted image of a high-flying, passing league and dismantled it before the world's eyes. A 5'11" QB who was a third-round pick and barely eclipsed 200 yards passing just defeated Manning.

Defense wins championships, folks. You have your anomalies here and there, but championships are started by a strong foundation in the trenches outward.

I believe the Titans are headed in the right direction. I know they preach physicality. With Ray Horton at the helm and Ken Whisenhunt's brand of football, we should be able to build a team that can play Seattle's brand of football. I just hope we can have that attitude they play with, too. I think Pollard can bring that; we just have to have it spread around and become contagious the way that it is for the Super Bowl champions.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about this earlier this season. I would link it but I'm on my phone (it's currently on pg. 3 for those interested).

Anyway, I've always been of the belief Defense wins championships and tonight just made me an even firmer believer in that saying. Of course QB play is critical but if you have a QB who can convert 3rd downs and a good/great running game(ala the Seahawks), you will go very far with a good/great defense.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easier to find a franchise quarterback then it is to build a defense the caliber of Seattle's. Yes, an incredible defense will usually beat an incredible offense, but man, over the last decade there have not been many defenses that I would take over Seattle, so it's not as though it's as simple as just saying defense wins championships.

That secondary and pass rush is ridiculous. And I'm not sure I've ever seen a unit with that combination of size and speed. The way they flow to the ball is just incredible to watch.
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every decade has "a team"....Seahawks gonna be it for the '10s?

If they can keep the core guys...they gotta be the favorites to be it. They can plug and play, too, which is necessary to be competitive year in and year out for a long time.

Either the Seahawks or us, right??

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:

If they can keep the core guys...they gotta be the favorites to be it. They can plug and play, too, which is necessary to be competitive year in and year out for a long time.

I think I saw somewhere that they are the 4th or 5th youngest team to ever win the SB.

Also throw away the myth about having to have SB experience to win one. No one on Seattle's team had a ring until today.
Damian Stafford
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

I think I saw somewhere that they are the 4th or 5th youngest team to ever win the SB.

Also throw away the myth about having to have SB experience to win one. No one on Seattle's team had a ring until today.

Pretty sure nobody on their team had played in a Super Bowl at all.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
UTMoc10 wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

Pretty sure nobody on their team had played in a Super Bowl at all.

Correct. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Also it gives me a lot of faith in Ruston for wanting to build our team like the Seahawks.
Damian Stafford
KingTitan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munchak had the right idea, but wasn't pulling it off to well.

Cj wasn't/isnt' the type of back to run that kind of offense.

Locker is the right type of QB, just gotta stay healthy.

I think building a top defense is easier than finding a true franchise QB. Teams can identify players to fit their scheme. They can channel and direct good players into a system and make it great.

The Steelers have done that well for years. Same with the Patriots. It helps they have franchise QBs.
But Seattle has a QB that can make a play, but doesn't carry the team on his own.

I hope this does bring back the day where you can win with a good QB and not have to have Brady, Brees, Manning Rodgers,...etc. to win. Gives us a chance and hope for success.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Since 2000, 9 of 14 champions had Top 10 defenses. Over the same period, only 5 had Top 10 offenses. Two teams had both: '04 NE and '10 GB.

Quote:
Also, how about this ... Since 1990, 6 teams with the league's top D have won it all. Over same period, just 3 with the No. 1 O have won SB.

Quote:
I don't know how many times we need to see it for people to be convinced. Seattle over Denver wasn't unlike NYG/BUF in '90 or NE/StL in '01.

Quote:
And I'd say last night was JUST like Bal/NYG in '00 or TB/Oak in '02 ... Concept remains, though, for the close ones, too.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Munchak had the right idea, but wasn't pulling it off to well.

Cj wasn't/isnt' the type of back to run that kind of offense.

Locker is the right type of QB, just gotta stay healthy.

I think building a top defense is easier than finding a true franchise QB. Teams can identify players to fit their scheme. They can channel and direct good players into a system and make it great.

The Steelers have done that well for years. Same with the Patriots. It helps they have franchise QBs.
But Seattle has a QB that can make a play, but doesn't carry the team on his own.

I hope this does bring back the day where you can win with a good QB and not have to have Brady, Brees, Manning Rodgers,...etc. to win. Gives us a chance and hope for success.

With that being said, I'm hoping we do take a QB somewhere in the draft. If staying healthy is going to continue to be an issue for Locker, we're going to need another long term option. Fitzpatrick is not the answer by any stretch.
VY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:

They'll lose a decent amount of guys for sure over the next few years, but we'll see. If they keep drafting well in the middle rounds they obviously will be in good shape. Getting guys like Wilson and Sherman outside the first couple rounds is huge.
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

They'll lose a decent amount of guys for sure over the next few years, but we'll see. If they keep drafting well in the middle rounds they obviously will be in good shape. Getting guys like Wilson and Sherman outside the first couple rounds is huge.

Congrats to the Seahawks. I am so glad fivehead and big teeth Elway lost last night. I don't know about Seattle being the team of the '10s. The GM has found some gems in later rounds of his drafts and has taken a chance on some disguarded players from other teams(Lynch). However he has to continue to hit home runs with those players he brings in because the players he hit on in the draft so far will want their 2nd deal (Thomas, Sherman, Wilson, Okung, Wagner...) and that is when you have to choose to pay them or let them walk. Enjoy the championship Seattle, but the time on top maybe short lived. Heck the NFC West is a mine field. 49ers & Cards both split with the hawks this past season and Fish is going to have another huge draft this May in St. Louis. That is taking into account the league has a target on their back and will try to copy the blueprint they have used to obtain the holy grail.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Kookie23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. From the first snap the Broncos were completely out of sync and unprepared. If this year proved anything it's that the big game and the regular season are two completely different worlds.

I think if this had been a regular season game the score would have been flipped.

Don't get me wrong, the Seahawks were awesome, but the Broncos just hurt themselves in every phase (ie pop up kickoff to Harvin, three missed sure tackles on that play). Demaryuis Thomas danced around instead of taking the first downs (also didn't take care of the ball).

The one thing the Broncos did well was keeping Marshawn Lynch a no-factor for the majority of the game. Of course that didn't matter because they got torched every time Russel Wilson could actually make an accurate throw.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Seahawks deserved to win, but the Broncos deserved to lose even more.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookie23 wrote:
I disagree. From the first snap the Broncos were completely out of sync and unprepared. If this year proved anything it's that the big game and the regular season are two completely different worlds.

I think if this had been a regular season game the score would have been flipped.

Don't get me wrong, the Seahawks were awesome, but the Broncos just hurt themselves in every phase (ie pop up kickoff to Harvin, three missed sure tackles on that play). Demaryuis Thomas danced around instead of taking the first downs (also didn't take care of the ball).

The one thing the Broncos did well was keeping Marshawn Lynch a no-factor for the majority of the game. Of course that didn't matter because they got torched every time Russel Wilson could actually make an accurate throw.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Seahawks deserved to win, but the Broncos deserved to lose even more.

They were out of sync because Seattle's defense was all over them from the jump. I don't buy unprepared. Manning's the most cerebral QB ever. He got beat flat out. Seattle didn't do anything extremely creative. They ran Cover 3, Cover 4 and Cover 1 rover. Basic schemes... flawless execution. It wasn't a case of Denver making mistakes and seattle capitalizing, it was Seattle FORCING mistakes and capitalizing.

The pop up kick was intentional and smart in theory. The concept is to prevent Harvin from catching it with a head full of steam. Instead you hope the increased hangtime forces him to catch it like a punt and give the coverage team time to get down and make the tackle. Harvin just made the play.

The Broncos got beat by a better football team. Point. Blank. Period.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Super Bowl just made it pretty clear that the two best teams in football reside in the NFC West. Could probably make the argument that Carolins is also better than any team in the AFC.

Seattle is just a terrible matchup for Denver, which is why I was shocked so many people were picking the Broncos. That defense just flows to the ball too well to get beat by the short passes and YAC that set records for Denver this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: