Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

arKnaD7's Post-Senior Bowl 2014 Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: arKnaD7's Post-Senior Bowl 2014 Mock Reply with quote

Free Agents (Bold = signed)

QB Josh Freeman UFA
RB Toby Gerhart UFA
RB Matt Asiata ERFA
WR Jerome Simpson UFA
WR Joe Webb UFA
T J'Marcus Webb UFA
G Charlie Johnson UFA
C Joe Berger UFA
DE Jared Allen UFA
DE Everson Griffen UFA
DT Kevin Williams UFA
DT Fred Evans UFA
LB Desmond Bishop UFA
LB Marvin Mitchell UFA
LB Larry Dean RFA
CB Chris Cook UFA
CB Marcus Sherels RFA

OG Travelle Wharton

Wharton has ties to Jeff Davidson and graded out very well according to PFF. A good short-term solution to solidify the o-line.

NT Linval Joseph

NT is an important position in Zimmer's defense and Jospeph could fill that hole. If the Giants let him walk, you will get him during the prime of his career.

Notable Cuts

TE John Carlson (retire?)
LB Erin Henderson
DT Letroy Guion
LB Chad Greenway (restructure)

2014 NFL Draft

Minnesota trades their 2 for a mid 2 and 4
Minnesota trades Christian Ponder for a 7

1 - QB Derek Carr, Fresno State

I'm not going to beat the dead horse explaining this pick, but Carr has all the tools to be a franchise QB and is a great fit in Turner's offense.

2 (via trade down) - CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

The CB class lacks an elite prospect this year, but is very deep. Fuller is right at the top of the list for me. A ball hawk and strong in run support, only the injury he suffered knocks him down this far.

3 - LB Christian Jones, Florida State

Florida State moved him to DE this year, but I still think his long term spot is as a run and chase LB. Will inject some athleticism into a LB group that has been lacking it for years.

3 (via Seattle) - LB Christian Kirksey, Iowa

Spielman doubles up again, this time with LBs named Christian. Kirksey was asked to cover slot WRs at Iowa so he wasn't able to rack up big time tackle numbers like the other LBs. Performed well during the Senior Bowl week and has a nack for coming up with big plays.

4 - DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida

I picked an image from his Notre Dame days becasue that is the player you hope you are getting. He's one of the biggest enigmas in this draft, but perfomed at a 1st round level at ND and very poor at South Florida (in part becasue he was out of position).

4 (via round 2 trade down) - WR Cody Latimer, Indiana

I really like Latimer. He doesn't appear to have blazing speed, but he is big and is exceptional at the catch point. I wouldn't be shocked if his stock continues to improve throughout the process.

5 - QB Jeff Mathews, Cornell

It's all about the fit. A big arm and obvious smarts, Matthews is an ideal developmental QB for Turner.

6 - DT Calvin Barnett, Oklahoma State

I'm impressed with the limited amount I've seen of Barnett. He's distruptive with a good motor. CBSSports has him projected in round 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went earlier.

7 - DE Chaz Sutton, South Carolina

Sutton is a great athlete with good size. You see flashes of what Sutton can do, but other times he looks completely lost. Let him learn the ropes and you may have a steal.

7 - CB B.J. Lowery, Iowa

Lowery was inconsistent early, but was a major factor in Iowa's improved pass defense. I think he will outperform his draft position if he goes this late.

Tentative Roster / Depth Chart

QB: Carr | Cassel | Mathews
RB: Peterson | Gerhart | Asiata
FB: Felton
TE: Rudolph | Ellison | Ford
WR: Jennings | Patterson | Wright | Latimer | Webb
OT: Kalil | Loadholt | Webb
OG: Wharton | Fusco | Baca
OC: Sullivan | Berger

DE: Robison | Griffen | Lynch | Sutton
DT: Floyd | Williams | Barnett
NT: Joseph | Evans
OLB: Kirksey | Greenway | Hodges | Dean
MLB: Jones | Cole | Mauti
CB: Rhodes | Fuller | Robinson | Prater | Sherels | Lowery
S: Smith | Sanford | Blanton | Sendejo | Raymond

ST: Walsh | Locke | Loeffler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like it, addresses our biggest need 2x in QB. You also added a lot of players to each level of the defense, I think Zimmer coaching alone will improve the unit but new pieces always help. Hopefullly both units take steps forward with this offseason and we have our QBOTF in Carr/Mathews. This would allow us to focus on a more athletic TE or highly rated guard as well as more defense in the 2015 draft as our offense should likely be settled assuming Carr shows promise.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe look at grabbing a safety opposite of Smith in the 4th rather than the WR. Hopefully Childs or Smith can step up this year. Just a thought, might be my one nitpick.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
You could maybe look at grabbing a safety opposite of Smith in the 4th rather than the WR. Hopefully Childs or Smith can step up this year. Just a thought, might be my one nitpick.

I much more comfortable with Smith and one of the other 4 guys at Safety than I am with having some combination of Childs/Webb/Smith/Thielen as the #4/5 WRs. The Safeties have shown to be at least serviceable starters and are still young. The in-house options at WR haven't done anything in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a current IU student, I approve of the Latimer pick! Applause He won't blow you away, but he can be a decent NFL WR i.e. Jarius Wright but maybe a bit better.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
joru1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it because it's realistic.
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this draft for the most part. I dont like nitpicking about 7th round picks but as a fellow Hawkeye fan I have to disagree with you about Lowery. Sure that play vs. Iowa State was fantastic but that was all he really did. He was beat an awful lot by mediocre WRs and wouldn't be an upgrade over anyone the Vikings currently have in their terrible secondary. By the end of thev season the true freshman Desmond King was far and away the best CB at Iowa.
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely one of the more realistic offseason Mocks I've seen, so I approve. I also beleive this does make the team better.

The only thing I disagree with is Jones at MLB. When he played there with FSU, he struggled. He did his best when he was either rushing the passer from the outside, or making plays on the outside.

If we pick Jones, it would be as probably an outside backer; therefore with the next LB pick, I would try to nab somoene with more experience in the middle than Kirksey; or at least projected as more of a Mike Backer. Some thoughts: Chris Borland, Yawin Smallwood, Shayne Skov, Jordan Zumwalt.

Love the 2nd round pick in Fuller. I think he's going to be a good one if he can stay healthy. Lynch and Latimer are excellent mid round picks as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, Wharton is on the wrong side of 30 right? Instead of double dipping in the 7th with a DE or CB, maybe pick up a developmental guard to take over for Wharton? Just an idea. Overall, I like it!
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
Like this draft for the most part. I dont like nitpicking about 7th round picks but as a fellow Hawkeye fan I have to disagree with you about Lowery. Sure that play vs. Iowa State was fantastic but that was all he really did. He was beat an awful lot by mediocre WRs and wouldn't be an upgrade over anyone the Vikings currently have in their terrible secondary. By the end of thev season the true freshman Desmond King was far and away the best CB at Iowa.

When he gave up catches it was due more to playing soft coverage or coverage breakdowns IMO. He did finish 5th in the NCAA in pass breakups last year (16 PBUs, 3 INTs).

battle2heaven wrote:
This is absolutely one of the more realistic offseason Mocks I've seen, so I approve. I also beleive this does make the team better.

The only thing I disagree with is Jones at MLB. When he played there with FSU, he struggled. He did his best when he was either rushing the passer from the outside, or making plays on the outside.

If we pick Jones, it would be as probably an outside backer; therefore with the next LB pick, I would try to nab somoene with more experience in the middle than Kirksey; or at least projected as more of a Mike Backer. Some thoughts: Chris Borland, Yawin Smallwood, Shayne Skov, Jordan Zumwalt.

Love the 2nd round pick in Fuller. I think he's going to be a good one if he can stay healthy. Lynch and Latimer are excellent mid round picks as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, Wharton is on the wrong side of 30 right? Instead of double dipping in the 7th with a DE or CB, maybe pick up a developmental guard to take over for Wharton? Just an idea. Overall, I like it!

The LB positions are subject to change. You play your best 3 guys. I think Cole, Jones, and Kirksey could play any of the 3 spots so it hard to give them a position. I considered some of the guys you listed, but I ultimately went with Jones because he is a freak athlete.

As for the G spot, I view Baca as the developmental guy and Wharton (32 years old) as a 1-2 year starter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: