Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grading The Draft: Vikings 2013 Draft Year 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTR, about half of the punters in the league were drafted, including many of the best of them.

28 punters have been drafted since 2000 -- http://pfref.com/tiny/HkXQ8 -- that's about 2 per year. 16 of them were drafted in the 5th round or higher, 8 of those in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

The main problem with the pick is that Locke was no better than OK as a punter. You'd want to end up with a top level guy if you're investing a pick, especially on a team that has lots of other needs. Sam Martin, who the Lions took 10 picks later, has been a better choice so far.

Locke did seem to improve in the second half of the season, might be solid in the long run, but overall his rookie season was disappointing.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole discussion of Locke reminds me of the situation here in KC a few years ago with another "lock." In this case, Justin Medlock.

In '07, the Chiefs drafted Medlock in the 5th rd and promptly traded away Lawrence Tynes (who was thought to be too inconsistent). The only difference in that case is that Medlock didn't even make the Chiefs team at all. He was cut and has been bouncing between the NFL and CFL since...while Tynes has been a solid kicker, whose career ended only because he contracted MRSA last August.

In this case, IMO, the fact that he even is still the punter should earn at least a C. You also have to look at our enemies to the east...how did that 3rd rd pick of the Packers in 2004 drafting BJ Sander work out for them? He was gone 2 years later never to be heard from again.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Locke pick was alright. Nothing special, certainly, but if you look at the other picks made in that round, it's not like we left a lot on the table by picking Locke. Both options have their merits, either you take a 'long shot' at a player with more positional value (and thus upside), or you take a 'sure thing' at a position of lesser relevance.

That said, if given the option of picking a guaruanteed starting punter for 10 years with a 5th round pick, I'd take it in heartbeat. If Locke manages a long and solid tenure, the pick is justified (in my mind).

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a discussion on our punter, but ok...

punters drafted since 2004, by round:

Rnd 1 - 0
Rnd 2 - 0
Rnd 3 - 3 (Bryan Anger, Dustin Colquitt, B.J. Sander)
Rnd 4 - 2 (Adam Podlesh, Daniel Sepulveda)
Rnd 5 - 5 (Jeff Locke, Sam Martin, Zoltan Mesko, Kevin Huber, Thomas Morstead)
Rnd 6 - 6 (Brad Nortman, Brent Bowden, Durant Brooks, Sam Koch, Reggie Hodges, Andy Lee)
Rnd 7 - 5 (Matt Dodge, Pat McAfee, Brandon Fields, Ryan Plackemeier, Donnie Jr. Jones)

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

I honestly did not want to turn this thread into a Locke-bashing exercise.

I don't think he's a bad punter.

If the thread had been titled "Rate The 2013 Vikings Rookies", I probably wouldn't have even brought the issue up.

Confused

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: