Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raider Player Year End Awards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Oakland Raider Player Year End Awards Reply with quote

Here is the link to our Midyear Awards Thread. Its going to be interesting who changed their game from the halfway point. Ive noticed that alot of my mid year picks have changed. Here it is:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=534415

2013 Final Year End Awards

Team MVP: I really dont know who to put here. For a 4-12 with no real player standouts, which direction do I go? This award would traditionally go to a QB, but with the mess we had to endure this year with Pryor, Flynn and McGloin, not a single one deserves to be the MVP of our team. I would pin Lamarr Houston here, but he really cooled off later in the year for us. I would go Roach again as the captain of our D, but the entire unit declined in the second half. Streater could be talked about here as he was really our only safety blanket for our young QBs, but I am going a different direction. For team MVP, I am going with Rashad Jennings. He took over for McFadden when SheMAC went down with injury AGAIN, and he never looked back. He finished the year with 163 carries for 733 yards with a 4.5 YPC, and 6 rushing TDs. Through the air he also tallied 36 receptions for 292 yards. Apparently he also did not fumble once this year. Very impressive stats for a guy that was the number 2 to start this year and was the focal point for D's as our QB situation was a mess. Iirc, he was also the league leading in alll purpose yards over a 3-4 week span mid season.

Offensive MVP: Another position that I had a hard time finding a definite winner. Arguments could be made for Rashad Jennings, Rod Streater or Marcel Reece imo. Personally, I would give the award to Rod Streater. This kid is one of my favourite players on our current roster and for good reason. He was pretty close to being the first Raider WR to hit 1,000 yards since Moss. His season totals were 60 receptions for 888 yards and 4 TD's. The numbers themselves are pretty mediocre, but factor in the QB's he had to play with in Pryor, Flynn and McGloin, and suddenly he is even more impressive. I personally believe he has surpassed Moore as our #1 WR and I love him going forward. He has improved every year for us and next season is the famous third year for WR's. I expect him to really break out and solidify himself as our legitimate #1 that defences worry about.

Defensive MVP: The entire defence in general really declined as the season the season went on imo. This one is even harder than OPOY for me, Players that I considered for this award are Nick Roach, Pat Sims, Sio Moore and Houston. Lamarr really disappeared in the second half of the year for us and was constantly a ghost. Sio Moore showed potential as a pass rusher and I love his intensity. However, I think I am going to go with Pat Sims. Fat Pat really turned it on late in the year for us. He was a beast clogging the middle of our defence and showed a surprising ability to push the pocket back and pressure the QB. He started every game this year and finished with 41 solo tackles, 13 asisted tackles and 2.0 sacks. He really played hard for us and has earned a solid contract from us imo. One of the bigger targets we need to focus on brining back. Pairing him with McGee shows potential going forward. I would still add another vet in FA and possibly a mid round rookie here to keep Fat Pat rested.

Rookie Of The Year: What a lackluster year for our rookies. Injuries to Hayden, Watson, Sio, Murray, etc, really killed their progression and playing time. By default, this award goes to Mychal Rivera. He proved to be a solid pass catching TE in our offence that saw numerous QBs throughout the year. He finished the year off with 38 receptions for 407 yards and 4 TDs. His blocking needs to improve if he wants to remain a starter for us, but I love his potential going forwards. He showed alot of heart and passion on the field and is a dude I could see being our TE of the future if he progresses next off season.

Most Improved Player: This might come as a surprise to some as Rashad Jennings will be a popular vote here, but I think im going to go with Andre Holmes for this award. He came out of nowhere for us once Moore and Butler were gone. This guy started off missing the first 4 games due to suspension, then was on the back end of our depth chart. Once he got his opportunity, he really showcased to us why Reggie believed in keeping him. He finished with 25 catches for 431 yards and 1 score. His coming out party was against his former team, Dallas, where he compiled 7 catches for 136 yards.

Declined The Most: I think its safe to put Sebastian Janikowski in this category. The guy really lost it this year. He made 21/30 Fgs this year, which equals a pathetic 70%. He was 3-7 of 50 or more, and had a long of 53 this year. Terrible showing for one of the players that was supposed to be the best in the league. He is extremely over paid and if his troubles continue he could find himself out of a job.

Unsung Hero: Sticking to my guns here and going with Marquette King again. Some posters say we are over rating King and all he offers us is a massive leg. No ability to pin teams in their 20, no touch and way to many touchbacks. They are valid points for sure, but I am still impressed with the kid. He was a UDFA that had to take over for the best punter in NFL history. He had a massive 48.9 yard average on his punts (which is first in the league according to NFL.com), with a long of 66 yards. He also managed to pin opponents within their 20 yard line 23 times. He also has massive swag that some people in here are obsessed with, so more respect to him I suppose. Pretty funny that our punter is one of the cooler players on our team. Classic Oakland.

These are my picks, feel free to rip them apart and post your own!

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for this one hey? Laughing

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of them!!!!!!!!!
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of them.

Defensive MVP: I would have to say Roach.

Most Improved: I would have to say Streater in addition to his offensive MVP. UDFA to potential 1000yard season in two years is pretty big jump. He is catching most everything also.
kmonahan07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsung hero should be Taiwon, what a gunner that guy is!
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguments here, though I still think Lamarr Houston was the defensive MVP because he was dominant in run support and had some good pass rushing moments, plus he lead the team in sacks if I recall correctly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: