Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goldson or Reid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching some Reid highlights for the year and I was amazed at the way he was able to back up both Lacy and Lynch. He would lower his shoulder to push them back, and then wrap up. Thing of a beauty, but it may have helped being Lacy's HS teammate. I'd say majority of his missed tackles happened in the early going, but after that he was damn good. In space he made some big time tackles, and of course there were other times he could have done better. I still can't believe how smooth his transition was in year one. Reid held his own in coverage and was hardly ever out of position. I'd be disappointed if he isn't a top 3-5 safety by the start of the 2016 season.

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
He may not have been quite as good, but he started way higher than Goldson did as a young starter (he didn't even start as a rookie). His ceiling is much much higher than Goldson's, at this point. All he has to do is build on this season, and there's no doubt we're set at that position for a long time.

Well to be fair, goldson was a corner in college and Reid was a 3? Year starter on one of the best defenses in the SEC. So its not surprising that he made a quicker transition than goldson.

I do agree with the general sediment of your post however. I like Reid's size and instincts. despite what people think he is a good form tackler who wraps up (something goldson didn't always do). He did miss a few tackles early in the year but it felt like he always had a nice bounce back play shortly after, which bodes well for his future. He seems to have what it takes from a mental and physical standpoint.

I'm excited for his future. I just hope concussions don't ruin his career or his long term health

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Well to be fair, goldson was a corner in college and Reid was a 3? Year starter on one of the best defenses in the SEC. So its not surprising that he made a quicker transition than goldson.

I do agree with the general sediment of your post however. I like Reid's size and instincts. despite what people think he is a good form tackler who wraps up (something goldson didn't always do). He did miss a few tackles early in the year but it felt like he always had a nice bounce back play shortly after, which bodes well for his future. He seems to have what it takes from a mental and physical standpoint.

I'm excited for his future. I just hope concussions don't ruin his career or his long term health

Yep, Goldson only played safety his senior year in college so he had more to learn early on. I was thinking, safeties drafted in the first round has to be the safest bet from ANY other position. Honestly, just look back at the safeties drafted in the last five years and majority of them are damn good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough way to end his Rookie season (worse game of his season?) but what seemed like a no brainer move (resigning Goldson was not an option) has turned out completely spectacular for 49ers.

Remember we feared Dahl possibly starting to open the season and now we are contemplating the exit of Whitner because of Reid's maturity and ability.

Two points about Goldson
- His personal fouls in addition to Whitner & co, was too much for one defense in todays NFL anti-violence league

- But losing his big play/gambler style is a significant reason why we no longer create the amount of turnovers as previously.
AMG1713

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the flack Reid gets about his missed tackles, PFF actually had Goldson as missing more.
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
For all the flack Reid gets about his missed tackles, PFF actually had Goldson as missing more.

Short memories. Reid and Goldson are actually very similar players. Both are lanky athletic hard hitters, who occasionally over run the play, and are solid, but unspectacular in coverage and have a knack for forcing turnovers. Reid, so far, has been better at avoiding flags, and Goldson's shown to be a bit more durable over his career.

I really hope Reid avoids any more concussions. If he does, he has a very bright future.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
gridirongorilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:

Not to mention Goldson is/was usually good for at least one drive extending personal foul/roughness/delay of game (kicking the ball)/bone head penalty per game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: