Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MOCK: if we had an Amish GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: MOCK: if we had an Amish GM Reply with quote

My first mock of the season. Here goes:

Gone
Starks – We have Lacey, Harris and Franklin.
James Jones – We can’t afford what he is worth. We have some good youngsters who can fill this void. Jordy, Cobb, and Boykin form a nice trio. Beyond that, we have some kids with potential. This is another good draft year for WRs in the 3rd and 4th round.
Kuhn – Lacy can do what you do. Just much faster.
Newhouse – It would be fun if the Packers resigned him, just to hear the responses from some posters, but Marshall’s time has come.
MD Jennings – not impressed and he will not be missed.
Pickett - Not sure we can squeeze 2 more years out of him, but he is still a decent player. The TT way is to let a player go a year early and avoid keeping him a year to long.
C.J. Wilson I like CJ. Solid player and still seems to be improving but we can’t keep everybody
Raji - If $8M didn’t interest him, what I would offer him would be an insult. There is a chance he comes back for a $7M/1 year deal if he finds the pasture isn’t as green as he thought. I would move him back to NT, always thought that suited him a little better. Complaining that he doesn’t get sacks is true, but he doesn’t kick many Field Goals either. Its not what he is out there to do. What he is out there for is to take up blockers. Which, he hasn’t really done that well at either.

Resigned
Shields 4yrs/$29M I let him test the FA waters and then bring him back. He doesn’t get what he expects from other teams based mostly on a huge GB Packer tattoo on his neck. 4 years give him one more big payday. (7.5)
Finley - 3yrs/$18M With the emergence of Quarless we have a really nice TE Tandem. If the Fin can play a whole season like he started, we are in for the greatest offensive output in Packer (and maybe all of the NFL) history. (6)
Quarless – 3 yrs/$8M Emerging player who is still going to get better.(2.6)
Johnny Jolly 4yr2/$12M With no guarantees. If he comes back from injury – he is our defensive leader. We should get a good deal because of injury and the whole drug/mobster/thug/prison thing. IF he doesn’t comes back from injury he retires – no payout. (3)
EDS - 4yrs/$14M Try and keep some continuity on that OLine (3.5)
Neal 2yrs/$2.5M Just don’t think there will be a big push to get him by other teams, maybe we get him back for around $1M (1.25)
Lattimore 2 yr/$1.5M He shows some ability and leadership. (.75)
Banjo 1 year minimum. Keep him to see what he has and we have the UFA advantage
Flynn – 1yr/$1M (1)

That’s $25M in cap spending.

CAP SPACE
Rework Tramon Williams 4 years $26M
Savings: $2M per year

Cut Bush: the run is done – he takes the Packer semi-retirement route (plays for Minnesota)
Savings: $1.7M

Our cap space is projected $28M – that only gives us a $7M cushion.

Free agents
Maybe, but probably not.

Draft

Here we go: TT maintains BPA. When BPA doesn’t match need, he trades down. If there are a bunch of players at BPA tier, he will trade down. If only a few BPAs are left on a talent tier and one is a need position, he will trade up.

I think a trade up is as likely as a trade down. I would only trade up to hit BPA at a position of need. I don’t think HAHA is worth the trade up, and I see a bunch of safeties who should be in the BPA tier late in the 2nd and throughout the 3rd. I will hope to get one then. I think this is one of the strongest drafts we have seen in some time. There are a bunch of QBs available so perhaps a blue chipper slips into striking distance. I would love to get OT Matthews, OLB Barr, or DE Clowney if one were to be available 11th. Doubt it, but there may be as many as 5 QBs going in the top 10. Throw in WR xx, and a surprise or 2 and maybe one of these is there. Trade up would involve 1st, 2nd, and a 5th. I am going to say this doesn’t happen or we don’t find a willing trade partner.

Plan B – trade down.

1 Trade for 2nd and 3rd.
2a Ryan Shazier Ohio State ILB: On the small side, but very athletic. Should be able to help with pass coverage more than what we are getting from Hawk and Jones. Is a good tone setter and should be a leader on defense. Also in the running: Haggeman 5T/Kyle Von Noy OLB/Trent Murphy OLB/ Kony Ealy, DE: There should be a good player sitting here for us. We pick up a 3rd rounder and get another good player/contributor.

2b Deone Buchannon S Washington State – good instincts, good speed, aggressive tackler, and good hands. Just not great at anything – should be a solid/dependable player.

3a Donte Moncrief WR – depends on his 40 time. He could go early in the 2nd or about here.

3b [Comp Pick for Jennings (I think we are on the borderline of 3rd or 4th and its about time it was the higher of the 2)] - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Tall and quick. Has all the tools

3c Zack Kerr NT – 6’1” 322. He is quick and disruptive. He plays all out all the time. Why isn’t he rated higher? Maybe because he is from Delaware. Love this picture of him. A) He is using speed to get past guy on the left B) He is using strength to push #78 out of the way C) The intense look of determination on his face

4th Josh Mauro DE Stanford – 6’6” 280#. Definitely has the frame to add another 20 lbs and hopefully not lose the quickness. Maybe a season or two away to build some lower strength. Only recently emerged as a player last season – makes me think he is on the upswing of what he can be. Give him some time, because he is still physically developing and may soon have the tools to be a good DE.

5 Justin Britt OT Developmental player, big with quick feet.

6a Ronald Powell OLB BIG question marks for Powell. Was the #1 in Rivals in 2010, but two blown knees later he underwhelmed. And he is just what we need, another talented but injury prone defensive player. or Michael Campanaro WR

6b [Comp] Marcel Jensen TE Fresno State. Big fella – used as more of a blocker sort, but he is fairly quick and is a load to bring down.

7 Darwin Cook S WV – Tenacious player, but on the small side. Robbed a convenience store of a bag of Doritos and a Pepsi early in his college career. I hope that bag of chips was extremely delicious because ultimately it cost him $10,000s in draft position! Hopefully, he has become a little smarter and more mature.

Roster
QB Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB Lacy, Harris, Franklin
FB none
WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, (Moncrief), Harper
TE Finley, Quarless, Jake Stoneburner, (Jensen)
LT Bakhtiari, Sherrod, (Britt)
LG Sitton, Trettor
C EDS, TJ Lang
RG TJ Lang, Taylor
RT Bulaga, Barclay, Britt
(29)

DE Jolly, Mike Daniels, Worthy, (Mauro)
NT Boyd, (Kerr)
DE Datone Jones, (Ealy)
LOLB Perry, (Powell), Palmer
LILB AJ Hawk, Lattimore,
RILB (Shazier), Brad Jones
ROLB CM3, Mulumba
CB Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, (Jean-Baptiste)
S Burnett, Hyde, (Buchannon), Richardson, Banjo, (cook)

(2Cool

3 ST

60 (Too many but we will likely lose 3 to IR by season start)[/img]
HUDSONandGRUDEN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the prospects, but don't know about the DL with letting Pickett and Raji walk. I've been thinking about this a lot, do we need an all pro nose tackle with how much nickel we play? Or is a big with size and little else gonna cut it when we do play base against run heavy offences.

Other wise, this draft would be a year or two out from being productive (Shazier, Mauro, Kerr, and Buchanon) not sure about the rest, but you could say that about any draft. Like it, don't love it. Like taking a flier on guys like Baptiste though.
Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Packers had an Amish GM back in 05 they would have selected Shawne Merriman (because he's lights out Wink)

On the serious side though like the mock. Donte Moncrief is a prospect I really like and pairing him with Rodgers would be awesome. Also like that you double dipped at Safety which the Packers desperately need.

thebestever6 wrote:
I mean Shaun Hill not a bad backup, but the fact that they didnt touch Garapollo or Carr in the second blows my mom.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I gotta laugh. I was JUST telling someone like a week ago how when he had Kerr in his mock that he would go quite a bit higher. Though I was think tail end of 4 or into 5.

Like the bit I've seen on him quite a bit.
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
Man, I gotta laugh. I was JUST telling someone like a week ago how when he had Kerr in his mock that he would go quite a bit higher. Though I was think tail end of 4 or into 5.

Like the bit I've seen on him quite a bit.

Yeah, I had him in the first draft in the 5th but was worried we wouldn't get him. It is just a huge jump going from Delaware to the NFL, I don't know how well or quickly he will adapt.

HUDSONandGRUDEN: I agree we should keep Raji or Pickett, but sometimes things don't work out in the best possible way. Maybe we keep Pickett for a season under this scenario.

Victor: Funny on the lights out!
KingCobb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice draft man Cool

Like Shazier. He is up there with Christian Jones and Jordan Zumwalt on my list of players I want at ILB next year.

I am starting to cool off on Bucannon honestly buy I certainly wouldn't be upset there. I personally think Ed Reynolds or Terrence Brooks would be a better fit next to Burnett. But that's partially because I am not fully convinced that Bucannon's strengths cater to single-high coverage, something I would really like for us to play well again. Like the player though!

With Raji, Pickett, and Wilson not being resigned, not sure how comfortable I would be picking up Kerr and Mauro. Again, I like both the prospects but I think we will probably need someone who can step up and contribute quickly, especially if there IR more playing time issues with our starters next year... Wouldn't mind catching a falling Nix, Hageman, or Tuitt in the late 1st/early 2nd if the opportunity presented itself. Justin Ellis and Shamar Stephen are some nice mid-round prospects I also like.

I think we could go WR later than the 3rd. I wouldn't mind looking elsewhere (DL/TE?) or trading back to the 4th and picking Andre Hal from Vandy who put on a real good show against Moncrief in the season opener.

I've drafted Powell to us before and think he could be a real player if healthy. From what I understand he only tore his ACL once and then had a setback in the recovery. I don't think he fully reinjured it the second time.

Don't know anything about Marcel Jensen but he looks the part.

Again, nice draft! Lot of good prospects in there that are hitting positions of need.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
If the Packers had an Amish GM back in 05 they would have selected Shawne Merriman (because he's lights out Wink)

Thy humor...doh!
AmishMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingCobb wrote:
Nice draft man Cool

Like Shazier. He is up there with Christian Jones and Jordan Zumwalt on my list of players I want at ILB next year.

I am starting to cool off on Bucannon honestly buy I certainly wouldn't be upset there. I personally think Ed Reynolds or Terrence Brooks would be a better fit next to Burnett. But that's partially because I am not fully convinced that Bucannon's strengths cater to single-high coverage, something I would really like for us to play well again. Like the player though!

With Raji, Pickett, and Wilson not being resigned, not sure how comfortable I would be picking up Kerr and Mauro. Again, I like both the prospects but I think we will probably need someone who can step up and contribute quickly, especially if there IR more playing time issues with our starters next year... Wouldn't mind catching a falling Nix, Hageman, or Tuitt in the late 1st/early 2nd if the opportunity presented itself. Justin Ellis and Shamar Stephen are some nice mid-round prospects I also like.

I think we could go WR later than the 3rd. I wouldn't mind looking elsewhere (DL/TE?) or trading back to the 4th and picking Andre Hal from Vandy who put on a real good show against Moncrief in the season opener.

I've drafted Powell to us before and think he could be a real player if healthy. From what I understand he only tore his ACL once and then had a setback in the recovery. I don't think he fully reinjured it the second time.

Don't know anything about Marcel Jensen but he looks the part.

Again, nice draft! Lot of good prospects in there that are hitting positions of need.

Thanks!

I had Christian Jones in an early version - thought Shazier offered more in pass defense. Visions of a wide open middle of the field and opposing TEs picking up first downs with ease prompted the edit.
packattack86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazier is not a good fit for GB's scheme. As much as I'd love to have him(OSU fan) he will get blown up in the run game as he belongs in a 4-3 behind big DT's. He would be a great Tampa 2 LB IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: