Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blank402's Surprise Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blank402

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Blank402's Surprise Mock Reply with quote

Surprise!

COACHING CHANGES
- Alex Van Pelt makes the switch to QB coach
- Ahman Green is hired as RB coach
- Pepper Johnson is hired to coach OLBs

RE-SIGNED
BJ Raji – Hopefully, a move back to NT will help him return to his former form
Sam Shields – There’s no question we need to lock this guy up
Mike Neal – I think he’ll be tougher to keep than most seem to think but the Packers OLB depth is so bad they can’t afford to not bring him back
John Kuhn – He does a lot for this team
EDS – Cheap, reliable starter
Andrew Quarless – Without Finley he’s our next best option
Johnny Jolly – Our run defense lost something without him, should be cheap to re-sign
Rob Francois – Looked good in training camp, shame about the injury, should be a cheap re-sign
Jamari Lattimore – Good special teams player, played well in spot duty
Matt Flynn – Need to keep the backup QB position solidified
Chris Banjo – Good special teams player

LET GO
Ryan Pickett – With his age and Raji being brought back, I don’t think he’s worth bringing back
Jermichael Finley – Unfortunately, I think this injury is it for him
James Jones – With the emergence of Boykin plus Nelson and Cobb being free agents next year, I think he’ll be let go
James Starks – I think he’ll go to a team where he can get more opportunities, which he’s not going to get in Green Bay with Lacy as the starter plus Harris and Franklin coming back next year
Marshall Newhouse
Seneca Wallace
CJ Wilson
MD Jennings
Khalil Bell

FREE AGENCY

O’BRIEN SCHOFIELD, OLB, SEA
HT: 6-3 WT: 242
With Clay Matthews and Nick Perry unable to stay healthy for a full season, the Packers will need some depth at OLB. Schofield gives the Packers a cheap, veteran option. He hasn’t been very productive in his few years in the league, but at 26 years old he’s still young enough to grow.

THE DRAFT

The Packers receive fourth and sixth round compensatory picks for Greg Jennings and Erik Walden

Round 1
With the 21st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

JUSTIN GILBERT, CB, OKLAHOMA STATE
HT: 6-0 WT: 200
Packers Nation throws their hands up in frustration as Ted Thompson spends a first round pick on arguably the Packers’s biggest position of strength on the defensive side of the ball. Tramon Williams isn’t cut or traded, he’s in a contract year and the Packers hope they can squeeze one more year out of him. They draft Gilbert to be his future replacement. Gilbert solidifies the Packers’s CB position for the foreseeable future and for the immediate future gives them great depth and an electrifying kick returner.

Round 2
With the 53rd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

ED REYNOLDS, S, STANFORD
HT: 6-2 WT: 205
There’s no question that the Packers need to address the safety position. Drafting Reynolds gives them an instinctive, physical defender who can play deep zone coverage, allowing Morgan Burnett to play closer to the line of the scrimmage where he seems to be more comfortable.

Round 3
With the 85th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

SHAYNE SKOV, ILB, STANFORD
HT: 6-2 WT: 245
Drafting Skov gives the Packers the aggressive playmaker they need playing next to AJ Hawk, the type of player they haven’t had since Desmond Bishop’s injury. His strength is taking on and shedding blocks, something the Packers’s linebackers struggle with.

Round 4
With the 117th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

MIKE DAVIS, WR, TEXAS
HT: 6-0 WT: 195
Davis will give the Packers an agile, sure-handed option in the passing game.

With their fourth round compensatory pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

ED STINSON, DE, ALABAMA
HT: 6-3 WT: 292
The Packers will lose a lot of players on the defensive line to free agency. Stinson gives them a big bodied, well coached player to add to the rotation.

Round 5
With the 149th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

ADRIAN HUBBARD, OLB, ALABAMA
HT: 6-6 WT: 255
Hubbard is an outstanding athlete and has intriguing size. He will need to get stronger at the point of attack.

Round 6
With the 181st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

CODY HOFFMAN, WR, BYU
HT: 6-4 WT: 218
The Packers top three WRs are solidified with Nelson, Cobb and Boykin, but their bottom two (or three) are far from it. Hoffman gives the Packers a big target.

With their sixth round compensatory pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

CROCKETT GILLMORE, TE, COLORADO STATE
HT: 6-6 WT: 255
Big tight end with development potential.

Round 7
With the 213th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

DEANDRE COLEMAN, DE, CAL
HT: 6-5 WT: 315
Has prototypical size for a 3-4 DE with the strength to hold up against the run, but lacks the explosiveness to offer much against the pass.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mock and offseason activity is the closest I can come up with for an ideal offseason. The picks are pretty much in line with where I have them valued- even though I think we are getting a steal in round 1!!

The players you resigned are the ones I identified as those that would be labeled as core or ascending- a measure that TT uses in addressing who does and does not get another contract. The only one I might disagree with coming back is Jolly- and that has more to do with that uncertain injury than anything.

My only issue is getting the OLB in FA versus a S like Mitchell. Would much rather role into next season with a FA S like Mitchell than addressing OLB in FA. If you have Perry, CM3, Neal, Hubbard (development, depth), Mulumba and Palmer to start camp, no need for Schofield as much as there would be a need for a FA S to go with Burnett, Reynolds, Richardson and Banjo in your scenario.

I am a little higher on Coleman than you as well, but I can see why people are not ready to take much more of a risk on him as well.
Blank402

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Schofield because I know he'll be cheap. If he can't beat out guys like Mulamba and Palmer then he can be cut without any cost. I think even a guy like Mitchell will be too expensive for TT.
KingCobb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This an interesting mock although I don't know that I would be entirely on board if this is how things shook out. I haven't heard much about Schofield since he got the NFL but I loved him when he was a Badger. He could add some depth at both OLB and ST.

Gilbert at 21 isn't something I would want going in but I don't think I would be all that upset with it if the board fell that way. It certainly would provide some injury insurance in our secondary.

I think Reynolds could be our guy.

I don't know why but for some reason I am just not feeling Skov next to Hawk. He has put out some decent tape but I want to see how he does at the Combine.

Don't know much about any of the receivers in this draft. Haven't paid ant attention to them because they are such a low position need. A lot of people seem to be worried only having Nelson, Cobb, and Boykin if JJ leaves, however, I think between Kevin Dorsey, Chris Harper, and Myles White we will have our 4th and 5th receivers going into next year. I could see a 6th/7th/UDFA maybe...JMHO

I like both of the DL you drafted as well. I think Coleman would be a slight upgrade over Wilson after a year of maturing.

I think Adrian Hubbard is pretty green still. He definitely needs to fill out a bit before he is going to be setting any edges. He could make a nice backup for Clay. I have an odd feeling about him as well though.

Don't know much about Crockett Gilmore but his name sounds like he could have been an officer during the Civil War Laughing . Nice frame though.

Definitely something new! Nice post man.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingCobb wrote:

I think Adrian Hubbard is pretty green still. He definitely needs to fill out a bit before he is going to be setting any edges. He could make a nice backup for Clay. I have an odd feeling about him as well though.

Hubbard needs to fill out a bit and gain 10 lbs..........so he can stick at 4-3 DE. He's not an OLB by any means. He's too slow, he lacks the agility to handle the position and while he was relatively successful in Saban's system, he'd epically flop in ours. Think Ricky Elmore.

As for the mock, I too like the Schofield pick and think he could be solid depth as well. I think Gilbert would finally give us a solid starting CB opposite Shields or whoever(if Shields leaves). I'm not a Reynolds fan, but I think the Skov pick in the 3rd would be worth it on running downs. I like the Mike Davis pick as well and could emerge as a solid #3. We're bound to keep Cobb and Nelson or at least one of them and Boykin has proven to be a solid #2 though Davis could challenge him IMO. I really like the Stinson pick. I think he'd give us the ability to give us a slightly smaller, but quicker and more agile DL. Not a Hoffman fan, plus the Davis pick eliminates any reason to pick a WR beyond that point, especially what Davis can bring as a RS. You're absolutely correct about Gilmore and I like that pick there though we should go TE earlier as well(maybe kick the Reynolds pick and go with ASJ there or kick the Hubbard pick and go with Marcel Jensen there if he'd be available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: