Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BYT's 2014 Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: BYT's 2014 Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Coaching Hires

Ravens hire former offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions Scott Linehan in that same role.

Former Houston Texans running backs coach Chick Harris is hired in that same role.

Brett Maxie, former Tennessee Titans secondary coach is hired in that same role.

Pepper Johnson, former New England Patriots linebackers coach, is hired as assistant defensive line coach.

Player Cuts
Jameel McClain, ILB
$3.2m savings, $1.2m dead money

Vonta Leach, FB
$1.75m savings, 580k DM

Sam Koch, P
2.2m savings, 600k DM (Post-June 1)

Player Extensions
Terrell Suggs, OLB
3 yrs, $22m (7.33m per)

UFA:
Dennis Pitta, TE, BAL-
4 yrs, $21m ($5.25m per)

Dominic Raiola, C, DET-
3 yrs, $12m ($4m per)

Anthony Collins, LT, CIN-
3yrs, $18m ($6m per)

Albert McClellan, SPT/LB, BAL-
Veteran Minimum- $645K

Alterraun Verner, CB, TEN-
5yrs, $25.625m ($5.125m per)

Michael Griffin, FS, TEN (Released)-
4yrs, $18m ($4.5m per)

2014 NFL Mock Draft

Pick #16: Eric Ebron || TE || North Carolina

Pick #49: Jordan Matthews || WR || Vanderbilt

Pick #80: Gabe Jackson || OG || Mississippi State

4th round (comp): Tyler Larsen || C || Utah State

4th round (comp): Chris Borland || ILB || Wisconsin

5th Rd (comp): Andre Williams || RB || Boston College

6th Rd: Aaron Colvin || CB || Oklahoma

7th Rd (comp): Jeremy Gallon || WR || Michigan

Notable UDFAs

Tom Hornsey || P || Memphis

Michael Flacco || TE || New Haven

2014 Depth Chart

QB: Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor
HB: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Andre Williams
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
WR: Torrey Smith, Jeremy Gallon, Aaron Mellette
WR: Jordan Matthews, Marlon Brown, Deonte Thompson
TE: Dennis Pitta, Eric Ebron, Michael Flacco
LT: Anthony Collins, Rick Wagner
LG: Gabe Jackson, A.Q. Shipley, Ryan Jensen
C: Dominic Raiola, Gino Gradkowski, Tyler Larsen
RG: Marshal Yanda, Jah Reid
RT: Kelechi Osemele, Rick Wagner

DT: Kapron Lewis-Moore, DeAngelo Tyson
NT: Haloti Ngata, Brandon Williams
DE: Chris Canty, Pernell McPhee
ROLB: Elvis Dumervil, John Simon
WLB: Arthur Brown, Albert McClellan
SLB: Josh Bynes, Chris Borland
LOLB: Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw
LCB: Lardarius Webb, Alterraun Verner, Aaron Colvin
RCB: Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson
SS: Matt Elam, Anthony Levine
FS: Michael Griffin, Omar Brown

K: Justin Tucker
P: Tom Hornsey
LS: Morgan Cox
KOR: Deonte Thompson
PR: Lardarius Webb

Bold = New FA addition
Purple = Rookie
Red = Placed on IR

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Last edited by BareYourTeeth on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 am; edited 5 times in total
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love a lot of the players chosen and wouldn't be mad at all if the draft played out this way, given how things have been going with the Senior Bowl I highly doubt some of those players will be available at the spots you have them slated at. Specifically, I can see Matthews working his way into the first round, Jackson into the 2nd, and Colvin is hard to figure out b/c of the recent injury. He could have been a 4th round pick had he not torn his ACL.

Overall, I wouldn't be mad with the players chosen, but I really don't like the structure of our offensive line as Raiola is only a minor improvement over Gradkowski at this stage of his career and I feel there are better options than Anthony Collins at LT.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
While I love a lot of the players chosen and wouldn't be mad at all if the draft played out this way, given how things have been going with the Senior Bowl I highly doubt some of those players will be available at the spots you have them slated at. Specifically, I can see Matthews working his way into the first round, Jackson into the 2nd, and Colvin is hard to figure out b/c of the recent injury. He could have been a 4th round pick had he not torn his ACL.

Overall, I wouldn't be mad with the players chosen, but I really don't like the structure of our offensive line as Raiola is only a minor improvement over Gradkowski at this stage of his career and I feel there are better options than Anthony Collins at LT.

Agreed with all of this.

I'd much prefer to keep Monroe at LT. Raiola is an ok option for a stop-gap, but I feel we might be spending a bit much if that's all we are counting on him being.

The players after round 1 I think are all about a round too late IMO. I don't think Matthews makes it out of the 1st, Jackson out of the 2nd, Larsen out of the 3rd, Colvin out of the 5th, etc.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:

Fair enough

Quote:

Raiola didn't allow a single sack last season and was, I believe, the top rated center in the league by PFF. He'll be a significant upgrade over Gino and Larsen should be ready to start by 2015. Collins did pretty well in pass protection as well as Cincy allowed the 3rd fewest sacks in the league, with 29, behind only Denver (20) and Detriot (23).

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
RayBringsPain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost hope Ebron is off the board when 16 comes up, because it will be hard to pass him up if he's still there. I still hope there's a long-term solution at LT worth the pick.
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the old guy to tell an old story.

Now I'm paraphrasing as best as my old mind will allow me. Pepper Johnson screwed the Ravens in their inaugural year. Pepper was the starting MLB for the Browns. When Modell fired Belichick, Pepper took it upon himself to hold the Ravens hostage. Pepper was Belichick's boy in New York (Giants) so when his buddy got canned, Pepper decided he would enact revenge on the new Baltimore franchise. Pepper had one year left on his deal ($850k). Ozzie and Pepper had a gentleman's agreement that if Ozzie were to tear up Pepper's old contract, Pepper would resign with the Ravens for a more cap friendly deal which would likely be Pepper's last NFL contract. Ozzie released Pepper and Pepper skipped town. No thanks, no goodbyes. He was kind enough to return Ozzie's calls to string him along throughout the free agency period so Ozzie couldn't sign an adequate replacement through free agency. Eventually, Pepper signed with Detroit and played his last two years with them.

Trust me when I tell you this... Pepper did his best to screw Baltimore. Ozzie and Art took him for his word. Screw Pepper Johnson.

The poor Ravens had no choice but to start some rookie out of Miami at MLB. AND HE is the reason most people in Baltimore don't remember Pepper Johnson. But some won't forget him.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sign Collins and Raiola. Give that money to Monroe. Raiola is trash, trust me. I don't care what PFF rated him as. Raiola is really old too. Collins is more of a gamble than anything. He's not a guy I'd be comfortable with giving that kind of money too after such a small sample size. Other than that I pretty much like the everything else. I'm still not seeing an Ebron and Pitta duo working out too well but I do like Ebron as a prospect.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Don't sign Collins and Raiola. Give that money to Monroe. Raiola is trash, trust me. I don't care what PFF rated him as. Raiola is really old too. Collins is more of a gamble than anything. He's not a guy I'd be comfortable with giving that kind of money too after such a small sample size. Other than that I pretty much like the everything else. I'm still not seeing an Ebron and Pitta duo working out too well but I do like Ebron as a prospect.

Agreed on both points.

If we're going to pass up on Monroe... I'd hope it's for an elite talent like Alex Mack... or because his asking price is simply too outrageous along with that of Mack's... and thus we simply role into the draft without a LT option. I'll take that comp 3rd in 2015 and address the position with a Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio, or Greg Robinson in the 1st.

Anthony Collins has a small sample size of great play, yet we'd be paying him as much as Yanda? That's the kind of decisions bad teams come to regret after said player gets content and lazy.

I also highly doubt our ability to sign Verner for that price. He's a probowl corner. The going rate is likely going to be in that 7m+ range IMO, similar to Webb.

I do think Michael Griffin would make for an excellent cap casualty signing however. We could use a veteran FS presence. And his skillset would fit in swimmingly opposite Matt Elam. He has always best excelled when utilized in that deep safety role we plugged Reed in opposite Pollard. He got to play in such a role this past season with the Titans and he excelled. He's just the kind of addition that I would anticipate Ozzie making. And he wouldn't count against the compensatory formula. He fits the bill of upgrading the athleticism of that safety opposite Elam, yet presents the size in our secondary to help makeup for some of Elam's lack of that measurable. Excellent fit and signing.

I agree that I can see us signing Chick Harris to be our RBs coach as well, I believe I mentioned him as a possible candidate for that role if we signed Gary Kubiak. So while the Linehan signing might (who knows but Harbaugh) be out of date, if we sign Shanahan, they obviously have a relationship together. Another possible RBs coach might just end up being Jay Harbaugh. We know the nepotism is strong with John... and Jay has been "filling in" for our RBs coach, taking notes, during senior bowl week. It's also probably the "easiest" of the offensive coaching positions to jump into. I mean, he's only 24, but with two years of offensive quality control under his belt that's about the same amount of time Shanahan had before he was promoted to WRs coach by the Texans... so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

I can also see Sam Koch being cut, he's going to have competition in camp to compete for that punting job. So that move also is very reasonable, especially if the organization wants to free up a few more dollars to carry over into the following year.
==========================================

In terms of the mock draft...

1) I like Ebron as the best TE in this class.. however, I don't see the value of taking a TE in the first round. I view the TE position a lot like I view the ILB position... why take a TE that high when there is bound to be mid-round options that will likely end up offering similar career success. Why take a Tyler Eifert in round 1, if you can get a Dennis Pitta in round 4? Why take an Eric Ebron in round 1 (pick 16, no less) if you can get a Marcel Jensen or Jordan Najvar in the 4th or 5th rounds? The TE position always seems to produce quality diamond in the rough options with almost every draft class at such a high percentage compared to other positions. I'd much rather take a chance on developing a mid-round talent with all the tools to become the next Jordan Cameron than spending a high pick on a TE.

Like ILB, the only way I take a 1st round player is if he is: a) possessed of elite athletic talent b) a complete option and c) highly consistent. In other words a surefire blue chip player. Ebron doesn't check any box for me except maybe athleticism. He has great athleticism, but I doubt its elite (Vernon Davis/Graham), he has had consistency issues as a receiving option in his career and seeing how that turned out for Ed Dickson, I'm definitely going to be gun shy in that department, and Ebron while a quality blocker for his size/role he's not the complete option.

I simply don't view the draft positional value of a TE to be very high when looking at who are the top options at the position and where they came from in the draft. In fact, none of the top 5 TEs were drafted in the first round: Gronkowski (2nd), Graham (late 3rd), Cameron (4th), Thomas (4th), and Witten (3rd). In fact, of the first round TEs of the past ten years... how successful has that track record been? Tyler Eifert (13'), Coby Fleener (early 2nd/2012), Kyle Rudolph (early 2nd/2011), Rob Gronkowski (early 2nd/2010), Brandon Pettigrew (09'), Dustin Keller (08'), Greg Olsen (07'), Vernon Davis/Marcedes Lewis (06'), Heath Miller (05'), Kellen Winslow/Benjamin Watson (04').

Of that list of 1st round talents the only ones to thrust themselves into the top 5 TEs were Davis and a young Winslow. Obviously all positions strike out with 1st round picks, but not all positions have such a potent secondary market with mid round success stories like the TE position. I'd pass...

2) I don't think Jordan Matthews falls to the midway point in the 2nd round anymore. I had a high 2nd round grade on him mid-way through the collegiate season and have had a top 25 grade on him for quite some time, his senior bowl performance is only going to bring more punch to the party. So unless he's just outclassed at the combine, I see no way he slips that far in the draft. Maybe early 2nd, but not mid-2nd.

That said IF he falls... Arthur Brown all over again, only I'm MORE excited. It'd be like it the Ravens picked Alshon Jeffery back in 2012.

3) I like the idea. Gabe Jackson to LG while converting Kelechi Osemele over to RT. And I think Jackson stands a quality chance of being available in the 3rd round as well. He hasn't dominated at the senior bowl, but has played well. I doubt he's going to test well at the combine as an athlete. The top OGs in the class are Yankey and Sua-Filo, both should test exceptionally well and maintain their spots. Cyrill Richardson has greater versatility and more hype to Jackson.

Throw in the offensive tackles that could be converted to guard like Joel Bitonio and Zack Martin, along with two similarly ranked OGs to Jackson in Anthony Steen of Alabama and Chris Watt of Notre Dame... and you could conceivably see Gabe Jackson being listed as anywhere from the 4th to the 8th OG. Considering the 4th and 5th OGs went 3rd round last year and this OL class is deeper than lasts, it's entirely conceivable for Jackson to be available mid-3rd. So I like the pick, the fit, and the availability.

4) Tyler Larsen also is probably available. He only had 30 1/2" arms and wasn't particularly exceptional at the senior bowl. He's also not someone that will likely test exceptionally well at the combine. No reason to assume his stock will rise a full round. So I disagree with those that believe he won't be there in the 4th. Maybe he doesn't last to the comp pick... but there's a quality possibility that he could. So like the Jackson one, I agree with the pick from both a realistic and talent perspective. In fact, the Jackson/Larsen combo was something I was thinking of including in my upcoming mock draft... threw it out there in some thread around here, so I definitely think it's safe to say I'm a fan of that direction.

4) I'm a fan of Borland. He's small, but he's a playmaker. No question he's going to compete in the league with his instincts for the position. Might not be the best fit at thumper, but he's got attitude and probably endears himself to our coaching staff.

5) Andre Williams has the best thighs out of a RB I've seen since Maurice Jones-Drew. Silenced

He finishes his runs with power and physicality. He also brings a different dimension to our running backs that we lack with that power and his potential to be a good blocking RB on passing downs.

That said, he's not possessed of considerable great- elite short area explosiveness. He runs like Jamal Lewis. He's most effective when he gets to the second level and builds up his speed to combine with his power to make him a nearly unstoppable option at the second level. But his lack of initial explosiveness will keep him from being a solution to what our OL problems resulted in this past year, hits in the backfield. If you notice, when hit in the backfield, Williams goes down to first contact more often than you'd expect a back with his size. So Williams only makes sense under an improved OL... and even then under such circumstances, he'd likely see minimal offensive opportunities, but instead have to cut his teeth on special teams while competing at RB for minutes. He'll have to hope that Ray Rice can no longer get back to being the same player that he was so that he can earn some of those carries, perhaps as a 3rd down back for his potential pass protection benefits along with his ability as a runner.

That said... Williams is viewed as a 4th round pick currently. And he looks like he should test well. I see more of a 3rd round back in his case, so I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding him as a comp 4th, let alone as a comp 5th.

6) After his torn ACL in the senior bowl, Colvin isn't going any higher than the the late 5th round... and most likely he won't go until the 6th. He plays a position that is very reliant on sharp cuts and athletic ability. Like Kapron Lewis-Moore, he will undoubtedly miss an entire season to his senior bowl injury unless he pulls an Adrian Peterson (both did come from the Oklahoma program...) so his draft value will take a sharp hit. So I agree that he will be available in the 6th round... just like KLM last season. Colvin had a similar draft grade prior to injury as KLM and plays a position more effected by an ACL injury, so the fall will be just as harsh. Though with uncertainty potentially arising around Jimmy signing another contract as well as what will happen with Webb, adding a talented cover corner makes a lot of sense.

7) Not entirely familiar with Gallon, only heard his name constantly called when watching Lewan tape. But he'll probably need to compete on special teams as a gunner and return man to have a shot at making the final roster. He'd have to beat out guys like Deonte Thompson and Aaron Mellette for that final WR spot, assuming we carry 5... if we carry 6, then the more the merrier I suppose. I'm not particularly against Gallon. He could be a guy you root for, fan favorite, because of his size and determination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: