Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McGinn: Packers getting left behind by NFL elite
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's play a game. Honestly speaking, if you could go back into last year's free agency and add a couple free agents, which ones would they be? Of course it would have to be at a very minimum for the price tag they signed with their team, if not maybe $500K per year.

I guess you can play this one of two ways, but if you want to be realistically critical of Ted, you really can't use knowledge from this year to make those moves. In other words, 90% of you should include Steven Jackson (myself probably included, though I preferred Reggie). Laughing
TheBitzMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
So let's play a game. Honestly speaking, if you could go back into last year's free agency and add a couple free agents, which ones would they be? Of course it would have to be at a very minimum for the price tag they signed with their team, if not maybe $500K per year.

I guess you can play this one of two ways, but if you want to be realistically critical of Ted, you really can't use knowledge from this year to make those moves. In other words, 90% of you should include Steven Jackson (myself probably included, though I preferred Reggie). Laughing

Obviously hindsight is involved in this. We know which positions suffered. Safety and OLB depth were questionable from the start of the year so I would've added.

Shaun Phillips - 1 year $1 million: Solid OLB Depth to go with the converting Neal.

Chris Clemons - 1 year $2.75 million: should be on our radar this year.

With the benefit of hindsight:

Couldve used Dansby, but Jones looked okay last year and clearly TT thought he was an ascending player.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:

Bingo. I am not even saying don't get someone. But for the people using hindsight on what should have been done are as bad as anybody that think he should have drafted Ngata instead of Hawk in 05.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:

Last offseason I wanted Michael Huff(who was bad for Balt and was cut, signed by Denver as a reserve) and Alan Branch(who would have been an excellent signing...really played well for Buffalo). So one would have been a mistake while one would have given us a slightly better run stuffer than Pickett/Jolly.

Sig brought to you by Justo
incognito_man wrote:
i forewent football this thursday in lieu of Grey's Anatomy and a bottle of wine
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBitzMan wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Obviously hindsight is involved in this. We know which positions suffered. Safety and OLB depth were questionable from the start of the year so I would've added.

Shaun Phillips - 1 year $1 million: Solid OLB Depth to go with the converting Neal.

Chris Clemons - 1 year $2.75 million: should be on our radar this year.

With the benefit of hindsight:

Couldve used Dansby, but Jones looked okay last year and clearly TT thought he was an ascending player.

Phillips was definitely one of the bargains of free agency, but there's a small chance the Broncos also owe him $1.6 million on the 2014 cap in NLTBE sack bonuses if that total was 10. They ended up paying him $400,000 in LTBE sack bonuses, so his cap hit was $1.4 million with a shot at $3 million. I agree that he would have been a good signing at either price and wouldn't have been entirely opposed prior to the season not knowing what Mike Neal was going to be. Had I known Neal would have performed as he had this year, I would have been a little more averse to the signing as I expected more from our 1st round linebacker Nick Perry and Clay to stay healthy. Not may teams go deeper than 3 at OLB with a Neal/Phillips quality player as the 4th.

Safety is another position I definitely would have pursued a little harder. Not sure Chris Clemons would have made a world of difference on defense, but surely would have been a reasonably priced upgrade. Still some bargains veterans I would have pushed for in the $1mm to $1.5mm range. I anticipate TT will right the ship this season.

Either way, so your FA cap consequence:

2013: Shaun Phillips and Chris Clemons for $4.15 million (minus $815,000 for Banjo and Mulumba) = $3.3 million.

This year you would have been playing with $19.6 million after rookies to sign any of the below:

QB - Seneca Wallace
QB - Matt Flynn
RB - James Starks
RB - Kahlil Bell
FB - John Kuhn
WR - James Jones
TE - Jermichael Finley
TE - Andrew Quarless
OT - Marshall Newhouse
C - Evan Dietrich-Smith
DL - BJ Raji
DL - Ryan Pickett
DT - Mike Neal
DE - CJ Wilson
DE - Johnny Jolly
OLB - Shaun Phillips
ILB - Rob Francois
CB - Sam Shields
S - Chris Clemons

RFA:
OLB - Jamari Lattimore
S - MD Jennings
S - Chris Banjo (Exclusive Rights)
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Last offseason I wanted Michael Huff(who was bad for Balt and was cut, signed by Denver as a reserve) and Alan Branch(who would have been an excellent signing...really played well for Buffalo). So one would have been a mistake while one would have given us a slightly better run stuffer than Pickett/Jolly.

You would have been playing with $20.0 million this year after rookies (a little less if you cut Boyd instead of Jolly).

Assuming you would have been willing to strike the same extension the Bills did, you would have had Alan Branch, but been playing with $16.3 million this year after rookies, though would have had less worry to re-sign Pickett, Jolly, or Raji.

Remember when people wanted us to re-sign Greg Jennings? Holy crap was Ted Thompson smart not to budge on his price. In fact, I'm thankful Jennings decided to choose Minnesota. We could not have afforded more important guys as good as Jennings is/was on this team. Along the same token, I kind of don't want to re-sign James Jones this year.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
I kind of don't want to re-sign James Jones this year.

I was all for it until I realized Jordy and Cobb are FA's and Boykin broke out. As much as I love James Jones, he is replaceable.

incognito_man wrote:
i forewent football this thursday in lieu of Grey's Anatomy and a bottle of wine
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

I was all for it until I realized Jordy and Cobb are FA's and Boykin broke out. As much as I love James Jones, he is replaceable.

& he always seems to come up big with crucial drops in big games like the 2 he just had against the 9ers

plays that guy simply has to make (1 of them being a bit tougher but still)

that part of JJ i wont miss, & would much rather roll with a younger, hungrier guy in JB
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

& he always seems to come up big with crucial drops in big games like the 2 he just had against the 9ers

that part of JJ i wont miss, & would much rather roll with a younger, hungrier guy in JB

JJ can drive ya crazy. He will drop some passes right in his belly and then turn around and make a catch he has no business making. I'll be rather surprised if he finds the market for his services any better than the last time so I'd wager he'll be back with us in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, JJ played the SF game with broken ribs, and the passes I remember him dropping were when he was taking a shot to the torso... I was of the opinion during the game(not knowing he was hurt) that afterwards he could go drop passes for somebody else. Now that I know the circumstances, its understandable. Not sure what else you want from the guy from a toughness standpoint.
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrock645 wrote:
Not sure what else you want from the guy from a toughness standpoint.

no question he gutted it out...

but this team hasn't rose to that occasion in the playoffs since 2010 (& at this point the packers needs players to make those plays more often)... those were just the 2 situations from JJ that came to my head... unfortunately hes done that in games with healthy ribs too

he has the potential to play like a #1 (like he did in 2012 & spurts throughout his career)... but he'll also drive you nuts when he doesn't play up to his abilities, & that tends to happen when the spotlight is magnified on him

hes just not special enough on this roster to warrant 4-5 mill per year anymore... & i think he gets about that in his next deal, i just dont see it happening with the packers
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrock645 wrote:
In all fairness, JJ played the SF game with broken ribs, and the passes I remember him dropping were when he was taking a shot to the torso... I was of the opinion during the game(not knowing he was hurt) that afterwards he could go drop passes for somebody else. Now that I know the circumstances, its understandable. Not sure what else you want from the guy from a toughness standpoint.

I'm not the one complaining about the drops. Laughing

JJ dropped that habit after the Packers won the Super Bowl. I think he's worth every penny of a 5 million dollar contract but the problem I have with the Packers resigning him is that they....

1) Will have to pay Jordy/Cobb next offseason
2) They don't have enough cap space to resign all three of them
3) Boykin made him expendable this season. Had Boykin not broke out while Cobb was down I would have WR at the top of the needs list.

incognito_man wrote:
Stinkmeanest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Not to mention the Peanut Punch on the sideline. We needed that play badly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good has Karlos Dansby been lately?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: