Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRH54824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason 2.0 Reply with quote

Players Re-signed-

CB Sam Shields- Should be the Packers number one priority in free agency and I believe they will sign him to a long term deal.

WR James Jones- His experience in this offense makes him more valuable to the Packers than he is to other teams. He is brought back on a similar deal to the one he signed last time.

TE Andrew Quarless- He is a solid tight end who should be brought back on a small deal.

DE Johnny Jolly- Jolly is one of the few Packer defenders who gave a consistent performance this season. This decision may depend on whether Jolly can recover from his neck injury.

LB Mike Neal- Neal will continue to get better as he learns the position and gets more in LB shape.

LB Jamari Lattimore- Lattimore was impressive filling in for Brad Jones and is a core special teams player.

Players Let Go-

RB James Starks- Starks should look for a better opportunity somewhere else. He signs with the Cleveland Browns.

TE Jermichael Finley- Finley will hopefully be able to resume his career, but it likely won't be in Green Bay. He signs with the Arizona Cardinals.

OT Marshall Newhouse- With Bulaga and Sherrod returning, he is not offered a contract. He signs with the Jaguars.

C Evan Dietrich-Smith- Dietrich-Smith just isn't worth what some other team will be willing to pay him, like the Rams did with Scott Wells. JC Tretter will be the startin center in 2014. Dietrich-Smith signs with the Jaguars.

DE CJ Wilson- Was inactive for several games this season. Signs with the Falcons.

DE Ryan Pickett- The Packers let 34 year old Ryan Pickett go. He signs with the Patriots.

DE BJ Rajii- Rajii sounds like a guy who doesn't want to be in Green Bay anymore, thanks in large part to Dom Capers. He signs with the Raiders.

LB Robert Francois- Francois should look for a better opportunity somewhere else. He signs with the Vikings.

S MD Jennings- He was horrible this season and likely won't be tendered a contract as a restricted free agent. He signs with the Jets.

FB John Kuhn- Kuhn receives a bigger offer from the Bengals.

Free Agents Signed-

DE Ropati Pitoitua-Pitoitua is a huge(6-8, 315lbs) DE who continues to improve and would be a good fit opposite Datone Jones. He had four sacks this season and played with the effort that Rajii didn't.

S Husain Abdullah- Abullah would get the opportunity to start in GB, something he didn't get this season in KC. He is a solid safety who would be an upgrade over Jennings, though the Packers will likely draft a safety as well.

RB Ronnie Brown- The Packers would not miss Kuhn as a lead blocker, but they would need to replace him as a third down back. Brown is a great pass protector and offers far more as a receiver out of the backfield. Franklin still has to prove that he can handle pass blocking. Brown would come on a one year minimum contract.

[b]Draft-
The Packers receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for Greg Jennings and a 6th round pick for Walden.

First round- The Packers trade down with the 49ers and receive their 1st and lowest 2nd round pick.

Pick# 30- S Calvin Pryor Louisville 6-2 208- Pryor is a hard hitting safety, something the Packers severely lack as no one was even thought twice about going over the middle against the Packers in 2013. Pryor could play either safety position and is a good cover safety.

Pick# 53- LB Marcus Smith Louisville 6-3 258- Smith is one of the best OLB in the draft. He consistently got pressure on the quarterback. He had 14.5 sacks this season.

Pick# 61- WR Brandin Cooks Oregon State 5-10 190- Cooks would be a steal at this point in the draft and if he is still there, the Packers should take him. Cooks is an explosive receiver who would help in the return game and help stretch the field. The Packers also have to prepare for the possibility that they can't come to an agreement with Cobb and another team offers him a top five WR contract based on potential over production. In that scenario, as good as Cobb is and can be, you would have to let him go.

1st 3rd Round Pick- CB Pierre Desir Lindenwood 6-1 195- A Cliff Harris Award winner who is a great cover corner with a lot of potential. He has the speed to keep up with NFL receivers.

2nd 3rd Round Pick- LB Yawin Smallwood Connecticut 6-4 236- Smallwood is a big athletic linebacker who would challenge Jones and Lattimore for the starting job opposite Hawk.

Fourth Round Pick- OL Weston Richburg Colorado State 6-4 300- Thompson frequently takes senior offensive lineman. Richburg played every position in college, but is probably an interior player in the NFL. He would challenge Tretter for the starting center job.

Packers trade their 5th and 6th round pick to trade up into the fourth round and select- QB Logan THomas Virginia Tech 6-6 254- The Packers need more competition for Scott Tolzien. They will probably carry 3 quarterbacks this season, unlike previous seasons.

6th Round Pick- DE DeAndre Coleman California 6-5 320- After letting Rajii, Wilson, and Pickett go, the Packers would need to add more size to the defensive line. Coleman is a quick defensive lineman who played in a 3-4 at Cal.

7th Round Pick- TE/FB Jacob Pedersen Wisconsin 6-3 242- Pederson is a good blocker with some receiving skills, but is a tweener with no true position. He would be worth the risk for the Packers in the 6th round.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan.

Watched a cut of Pryor a while back and came away more impressed with Marcus Smith.

Still a fan of Pryor.

Desir and Smallwood are starting to show up in about 50% of all forum mocks. No complaints with either, just over done.

Would rather keep Kuhn over signing Ronnie Brown.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
triplejcubed3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I like this mock as we'll. I'm thinking tt resigns Flynn though and if we do draft a qb it'll be a 7th rounder. And I'm fairly confident Kuhn will be back with not much value to other teams. He'll resign here for less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

I'm not. He's Matt Elam in an NFL safety body. He's a decent prospect, but he's starting to get overrated in a poor safety class.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

I'm not. He's Matt Elam in an NFL safety body. He's a decent prospect, but he's starting to get overrated in a poor safety class.

This. No justification for how high he is currently being projected. A lot of holes in that game and not enough evidence to say this is a well rounded S prospect at all based on Saturdays. There are highlights and there is a whole lot of nothing as well.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

This. No justification for how high he is currently being projected. A lot of holes in that game and not enough evidence to say this is a well rounded S prospect at all based on Saturdays. There are highlights and there is a whole lot of nothing as well.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
I'm a fan.

Watched a cut of Pryor a while back and came away more impressed with Marcus Smith.

Still a fan of Pryor.

Desir and Smallwood are starting to show up in about 50% of all forum mocks. No complaints with either, just over done.

Would rather keep Kuhn over signing Ronnie Brown.

I think our coaches like Kuhn so I'll be surprised if he goes any where. Pryor is an interesting prospect. He could learn behind a guy like Abdullah. Both of them would be an upgrade over MD Jennings. Maybe the good doctor should pursue medicine again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

The same can be said of clinton-dix and he is likely a top 20 pick. Every prospect has holes in their game thats why they are "prospects " and not in the nfl yet.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRH54824 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

The same can be said of clinton-dix and he is likely a top 20 pick. Every prospect has holes in their game thats why they are "prospects " and not in the nfl yet.

I do not understand your response. I am not advocating for Clinton-Dix. I am fully aware of prospects versus NFL players. I am simply stating that I agree he is overhyped and should not be a first round value because of the holes in his game.
JRH54824

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
JRH54824 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

I do not understand your response. I am not advocating for Clinton-Dix. I am fully aware of prospects versus NFL players. I am simply stating that I agree he is overhyped and should not be a first round value because of the holes in his game.

What are the holes in his game that keep him from being a first round value? He has range, can play free safety and strong safety, is a good open field tackler, a big hitter.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

He's Cyprien 2.0. Can't tackle, leads with his helmet, and played in a poor conference with terrible offenses sparing UCF's who lit them up primarily from the running game and screen passes.

You want a complete safety, look no further than Deone Bucannon. You watch him play and you'll understand why so many are high on him. He's the thumper you want as a tackler, he's excellent in zone, his ball skills are sharp and when he fixes his 40 time at the combine or pro day, he'll shoot up the boards.

You look at our inability to stop the run and it makes me wonder why people keep mock drafting Coleman who clearly was a liability against the run last year.
JRH54824

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

He's Cyprien 2.0. Can't tackle, leads with his helmet, and played in a poor conference with terrible offenses sparing UCF's who lit them up primarily from the running game and screen passes.

You want a complete safety, look no further than Deone Bucannon. You watch him play and you'll understand why so many are high on him. He's the thumper you want as a tackler, he's excellent in zone, his ball skills are sharp and when he fixes his 40 time at the combine or pro day, he'll shoot up the boards.

You look at our inability to stop the run and it makes me wonder why people keep mock drafting Coleman who clearly was a liability against the run last year.

Cyprien had 104 tackles 7 pd and a pick in his rookie season.
Saying that pryor cant tackle is just inaccurate.
I also like buccanon and think he would be a good second round pick if they dont pick one in the first
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRH54824 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
JRH54824 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Still a fan of Pryor.

What are the holes in his game that keep him from being a first round value? He has range, can play free safety and strong safety, is a good open field tackler, a big hitter.

He is not a very good open field tackler, he is a hitter and not a tackler. He does not have any experience in 1-1 coverage either. In this defense, he will need 1-1 coverage skills and he will need to be a last line of defense guy- one that takes the correct angles and gets his man down on the ground moreso going for the big hit. Not convinced he has the speed or range to keep everything in front of him at all. Waiting to see how he tests before I project him into my top 40 prospects. I do like the size and physicality he has shown on Saturdays, but that does not make him a 1st round value unless you are reaching for a S because of how weak the class is at the position.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:

He is not a very good open field tackler, he is a hitter and not a tackler. He does not have any experience in 1-1 coverage either. In this defense, he will need 1-1 coverage skills and he will need to be a last line of defense guy- one that takes the correct angles and gets his man down on the ground moreso going for the big hit. Not convinced he has the speed or range to keep everything in front of him at all. Waiting to see how he tests before I project him into my top 40 prospects. I do like the size and physicality he has shown on Saturdays, but that does not make him a 1st round value unless you are reaching for a S because of how weak the class is at the position.

I'll give you his questionable tackling skills(which I don't think are as questionable as people would make them seem) and I think he's the best Safety in a weak class, but I have to call BS on his lack 1-on-1 coverage skills. In our system, our Safeties are consistently off from whomever they're covering. Clinton-Dix is actually used to this and as a FS, he has proven to have the ball skills and instincts to keep the play in front of him, diagnose, then make a good play on the ball. Frankly, if we were able to trade down, get him at the end of the first/early second, and then draft Bucannon, we wouldn't have to worry too much about Safety for awhile. It's a pipe-dream, but if it's possible it'd be our best option.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

I'll give you his questionable tackling skills(which I don't think are as questionable as people would make them seem) and I think he's the best Safety in a weak class, but I have to call BS on his lack 1-on-1 coverage skills. In our system, our Safeties are consistently off from whomever they're covering. Clinton-Dix is actually used to this and as a FS, he has proven to have the ball skills and instincts to keep the play in front of him, diagnose, then make a good play on the ball. Frankly, if we were able to trade down, get him at the end of the first/early second, and then draft Bucannon, we wouldn't have to worry too much about Safety for awhile. It's a pipe-dream, but if it's possible it'd be our best option.

WRs get passed off to the S in this defense routinely. No BS there at all. Any S in this scheme will need mirror skills. It is the reason Jennings was still on the field instead of Richardson even though Richardson proved to be the much better tackler. Jennings was better in coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: