Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

bookend's Mock Draft v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookend57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: bookend's Mock Draft v1 Reply with quote

Well, I'll give this a go I suppose. Let me know what you think.

Players retained
C, Evan Deitrich-Smith
QB, Matt Flynn
DL, Johnny Jolly
TE, Andrew Quarless
CB, Sam Shields

Green Bay is awarded 4th and 5th round compensation picks

THE DRAFT

Round 1 #21

Traded to Oakland for picks #36 and #67

Round 2 pick #36

Stephon Tuitt [DE] Notre Dame

6’6” 312lbs. 4.92

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Tantalizing upside. Highly athletic frame despite massive size. Impressive combination of length, power and surprising quickness. Scheme versatility for the 3-4 and 4-3, possessing the size of most interior linemen while maintaining the quickness to provide a rush off the edge.
WEAKNESSES: Arrived to 2013 fall came out of shape following hernia surgery and struggled to dominate as he had as a sophomore. Lack of consistency was a concern as a junior.

Quote:
There is a lot for NFL talent evaluators to like about Tuitt. He is extremely big for a defensive end and carries his weight extremely well. Tuitt is the size of many defensive tackles, but he has enough speed and agility to play defensive end.

Tuitt has some serious power to his game. He had a sack last year on a one-handed bull rush against Michigan's big right tackle. Tuitt has a devastating bull rush and does a good job of maintaing his leverage. Beyond the bull rush, Tuitt uses a variety of moves. He has a swim move that works well on guards, and his power bull rush can set up a speed rush from the outside, particularly when he works against right tackles. Tuitt needs to continue to refine his moves for the NFL, but he has an impressive starting point for a player entering his junior season.

Despite his size, Tuitt has nice closing speed. When he breaks free from tackles, he closes in a hurry. Tuitt's quickness seems to catch many offensive linemen and ball-carriers by surprise. There were a few sacks last year where quarterbacks seemed to think they had time but Tuitt ate up the space quickly. Tuitt is a tough run-defender for the ground game. He is strong at the point of attack and tough to move out of his gap. It would be nice to see him improve on his tackle total this year and get in on more plays outside of his gap.

For the NFL, Tuitt has real flexibility. He can line up and rush against guards as a defensive tackle or serve as a 4-3 base end, or he could play as a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense.

It would be good if Tuitt can demonstrate a complete game for the NFL in 2013. He has some quickness, but isn't a true speed-rusher. That could cause teams to view him as a left defensive end. Tuitt may need to show that he is fast enough to play against left and right tackles in order to be a top-10 pick.

Round 2 pick #53

Deone Bucannon [S] Washington State

6’1” 215lbs. 4.57

Quote:
Bucannon has a nice mix of ball skills, run-support tackling and hard hitting ability. In 2013, the senior has five interceptions with 109 tackles, three forced fumbles and one pass broken up. He recorded four interceptions, four passes broken up, one forced fumble, and 106 tackles last year. Bucannon had three interceptions, 80 tackles and four passes broken up in 2011.

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Physical, imposing hitter at 215 pounds who made his mark as a senior by producing big plays and turnovers. Well-built safety who delivers bone-rattling hits.

Round 3 pick #67

Trevor Reilly [OLB] Utah

6’5” 255lbs. 4.67

Quote:
Strengths: Broad shoulders and a tapered, athletic build that certainly looks the part of a high round prospect. Reilly's athleticism is intriguing. He has good lateral agility and balance to elude blockers and can make impressive plays in pursuit.
Weaknesses: Average quickness off the snap, and was not explosive enough to consistently beat BYU junior left tackle Michael Yeck in an anticipated matchup. Reilly is largely a finesse defender who relies on his athleticism to slip free, rather than forcefully defeating his man.

Round 3 pick #85

Keith McGill [CB/FS] Utah

6’2” 205lbs. 4.49

Quote:
McGill notched 37 tackles with 12 passes broken up and an interception this year. He missed the 2012 season with a shoulder injury. McGill will play in the Senior Bowl. Experience at both cornerback and free safety. He’s had injury problems in the past.

Round 4 pick #117~

Arthur Lynch [TE] Georgia

6’5” 254lbs. 4.82

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Lynch's strength and awareness as an in-line blocker rank among his most impressive attributes at this point in his career. He is quick off the snap, latches onto defenders quickly and securely and is competitive. He is particularly effective on combination blocks in which he initially helps an offensive tackle double-team a defensive lineman before switching off to chip a linebacker at the second level. Lynch shows reliable hands and has a big frame to shield defenders from the ball.
WEAKNESSES: Isn't going to run away or make many defenders miss in the open field.

Round 4 (comp.)

Lamin Barrow [ILB] LSU

6’1” 232lbs. 4.76

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Barrow looks the part of a big-time prospect at linebacker. He's possesses broad shoulders and a tapered frame, long arms and is athletic.
WEAKNESSES: Barrow is a better athlete than football player, at this point, as he fails to wrap his arms securely too often. Barrow isn't the classic hit-lift-drive, violent tackler, but rather he prefers to grab ahold of the ballcarrier and wrestle them to the ground.

Round 5 pick #149~

Ryan Carrethers [NT] Arkansas State

6’1” 330lbs. 5.26

Quote:
Carrethers earned a starting job midway through his redshirt sophomore season and has since become a force in the middle against the run. He finished first in his conference among interior defenders with 63 stops, earning all-Sun Belt Conference honors as a junior. He has good size and a strong lower half, enabling him to hold his ground against double-team blocks. While he carries his 328 pounds well, Carrethers is a limited athlete who lacks explosiveness and change-of-direction skills. He has a hard time shedding blockers and needs to do a better job of keeping his arms extended to prevent blockers from tying him up.

Round 5 (comp.)

Cody Hoffman [WR] BYU

6’3” 210lbs. 4.56

Quote:
There are a number of reasons why Hoffman has been able to be a consistent producer for BYU. He has a good skill set that is a real mismatch against college defensive backs. The lanky receiver has excellent size with height that makes him very difficult to cover. Even when defensive backs are close to Hoffman, he can make catches over those defenders.

Hoffman has excellent hands, as one would expect given his reception total from last season. He shows good concentration to secure the ball even though he knows he is about to take a hit. Hoffman has excellent body control to make acrobatic catches along the sidelines and on passes thrown off the mark. He uses his size and strength make a lot of contested catches over defensive backs.

Hoffman is not a burner receiver and it doesn't look like he will be a vertical threat in the NFL. The senior is more of a long strider and doesn't have a burst. Hoffman is going to have to rely on his size and route-running to get separation at the next level since the majority of NFL defensive backs will be faster. His size and lack of deep speed make him look like a possession receiver in the NFL.

Hoffman could be best as a Z (flanker) receiver in a West Coat offense. He does well on the short and intermediate routes, especially crossing the field and on out routes along the sideline.

Round 6 pick #181~

Cameron Fleming [OT] Stanford

6’6” 318lbs. 5.14

Quote:
Fleming played well for Stanford. He is a tough run-blocker and an improving pass-protector. Fleming had some challenges with Anthony Barr, but Fleming wasn't a liability going against the best edge-rusher in the Pac-12. Fleming would be better off returning for his senior year and getting better.

9/1/13: Fleming broke into the starting lineup in 2011. He had a good season blocking for Andrew Luck and Stepfan Taylor. In 2012 he moved to right tackle and was excellent at opening up holes for Taylor. With Andrus Peat on the left side, Stanford should have an excellent tackle tandem the next two seasons.

Round 7 pick #213~

Russell Bodine [OG/C] North Carolina

6’3” 310lbs. 5.09

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Possesses squatty powerful frame, with broad shoulders and thick limbs. Good initial quickness. Capable of firing the snap (shotgun or typical) and turning to seal off defenders in one fluid motion. Plays with very good knee bend and on the balls of his feet, helping him anchor against the bull rush and mirror quicker defenders while in pass protection. Latches on and turns with defenders, keeping himself between the defender and the ball.
Surprisingly light on his feet, showing good athleticism to block at the second level. Strong initial punch on defenders when he meets them, showing enough power to knock some off-balance and to the ground. Alert and competitive. Looks for someone to hit on each play. Started one game at left guard in 2013; all others at center over the past two seasons.
WEAKNESSES: Carries a little extra weight around the middle and may not possess ideal arm length. Can get pushed back into the pocket initially (especially when covered up with a powerful nose guard), though to his credit he generally stops the skating and regains momentum to eventually push the defender back. Plays so low that he leaves himself vulnerable to over-arm swim moves.
COMPARES TO: A.Q. Shipley, Baltimore Ravens - Shipley left Penn State in 2008 and has bounced around the NFL since. Scouts love his physicality and tenacity, but short arms have made his emergence as an NFL starter slower than hoped. Bodine has more desirable traits and should have an easier path to latching on. He plays with similar grit and surprising athleticism, projecting as a future starter in the NFL.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definitely roll with this.
PAKKUHRZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading back from 21 to 36 seems like too big of a jump to me. That's a lot of good prospects you're letting other teams draft.

Nice draft though overall. I had Lynch in my mock at first, but with Finley likely not coming back, I think the Packers will target a more receiving-oriented TE (e.g., Ebron, Amaro, Rodgers).
packattack86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIGHLY doubt Tuitt falls to our pick at #21, let alone the 2nd rd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
HIGHLY doubt Tuitt falls to our pick at #21, let alone the 2nd rd.

I'd be pretty surprised if Tuitt were drafted in the first 20 picks. He's not being discussed on the same level as Hageman. He has consistency and motivation concerns although he has the higher upside of the two, he is also the higher risk. I don't think it's that unlikely. I have him as a fringe 1st round/ early 2nd round prospect.
bookend57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAKKUHRZ wrote:
Trading back from 21 to 36 seems like too big of a jump to me. That's a lot of good prospects you're letting other teams draft.

Nice draft though overall. I had Lynch in my mock at first, but with Finley likely not coming back, I think the Packers will target a more receiving-oriented TE (e.g., Ebron, Amaro, Rodgers).

I think there is a decent chance the likes of Nix, Mosley, Clinton-Dix, Hageman, Ebron, Dennard are all off the board when we pick. I've seen plenty of mock where the board shakes out very unfavorably for the Packers. trading back 15 spots is risky but there is so much good talent in rounds 2-3 of this year's class a trade like that is tough to pass up IMO.

I like what Lynch brings to the table with his blocking ability. With a healthy OL and a very capable blocking TE our run game would be even better next season. He isn't a speedster, but he has reliable hands and runs crisp routes. Plus he has the size to be a quality red-zone target. I think he makes a nice living off of 8-12 yard stop, hook, and in routes.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be cool with this as well, scratching the last two picks which were blown on OL. Not so sure about Hoffman either, Seems a bit too stiff. Maybe he could be a red zone jump ball option given his height.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Fleming is going to be one of the bigger value picks in this draft. I think he has the potential to be very good- I think he is just starting to fill out his potential. I like the pick a lot. I cannot go with the thinking this oline is set because Bulaga and Sherrod are both coming off of injury and not signed beyond next year. You draft for the future so you better have guys in the pipeline and not expect a rook to replace guys of that caliber without other development guys already in place.

Bodine likely removes Van Rotten (I do not think he has any ceiling left unfortunately) from the roster / PS so I am all for that. I think he would be the better project C/G for the future as a back up for Tretter.

I think the Pack make a bigger push to resign Raji and Neal than you have listed. Neal is probably the bigger push because he is more likely to be labeled in the ascending player category that TT would look to lock up. Raji because of the talented big theory. I do not know about Jolly coming back- no one really knows the severity of the back issue. Repeated stingers is not a good sign. Not sure about EDS- depends upon how confident MM is with Tretter based on what he saw in practices at the end of the year. The lack of sample size there helps EDS, but I am not sure I would sign him to good starting money if you plan to make him win his job in TC. I do think Q will be back as well.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see us letting Bulaga go unless someone else overpays for him, then you've got Sherrod who will almost certainly sign for cheap if he works out. Either way, we've got plenty of project linemen as is; especially at the Tackle spot and we've got plenty of swing players like Barclay. I take back what I said about Bodine though, if he can supplant Van Roten and show he can be a starting Center, that kicks Tretter back to Guard with Lane Taylor and puts Barclay back to Tackle with Sherrod. Again, that still leaves us set along the OL.

On the other hand, I completely agree with your assessment on Raji and Neal. Neal might need to be a priority if those stingers Jolly had persist and end his career. Then we're scrambling to find another body along the D-line that has experience in this system.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
I can't see us letting Bulaga go unless someone else overpays for him, then you've got Sherrod who will almost certainly sign for cheap if he works out. Either way, we've got plenty of project linemen as is; especially at the Tackle spot and we've got plenty of swing players like Barclay. I take back what I said about Bodine though, if he can supplant Van Roten and show he can be a starting Center, that kicks Tretter back to Guard with Lane Taylor and puts Barclay back to Tackle with Sherrod. Again, that still leaves us set along the OL.

On the other hand, I completely agree with your assessment on Raji and Neal. Neal might need to be a priority if those stingers Jolly had persist and end his career. Then we're scrambling to find another body along the D-line that has experience in this system.

There is the problem. You cannot project he is going to work out at this time and you cannot project how much Bulaga is going to command from another team. You can at least say that Bulaga is a player when he is healthy- no one knows if Sherrod is at this time.

The Gs on this team are already taking a lot of cap and you usually have a lot of money saved to keep your LT contract in tact. How much are you going to allocate towards the RT with the investments already coming due at other positions- especially WR? That is what makes the Fleming pick great, you need that potential in the pipeline to supplant the RT position in the future should you get outbid on Bulaga and Sherrod proves not worth of a NFL roster. Barclay should not be a starter at RT, and then even if you contend he is after this year, you have no back up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: