Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doubles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Doubles Reply with quote

Last year, Gettleman showed us that if we have a position in serious need he is not afraid to double up on picks to make that position a strength. After being in need of a strong DT since, IMO, Kris Jenkins left, we doubled up and got both Lotulelei and Short, a duo that could grow and make this line even more dominant.

We have positions that need serious help, like O-line, corner, and wide receiver. If you had to double up in the first round on two players from the same position, which would it be?

For example:

1. Cyril Richardson - RT
2. James Hurst - LT

1. Allen Robinson - WR
2. Jordan Matthews - WR

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Marcus Roberson - CB

May seem like a dumb thread, but its the offseason so whatevs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were to come down to any of them it would definitely be the tackles. Gettleman Loves his Hog Mollies.

The more I think about it, we're probably doubling down on OL hog mollies this year. Laughing

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
If it were to come down to any of them it would definitely be the tackles. Gettleman Loves his Hog Mollies.

The more I think about it, we're probably doubling down on OL hog mollies this year. Laughing

That's my prediction too. I think chances are we let Gross walk/retire, and we upgrade our offensive line through the draft in those first few picks. If we can get some bookend tackles to protect Cam for years to come then we can finally get this offense going.

That being said, it all depends on what happens during free agency. If we go and load up on the offensive line I could see us drafting skinny come April

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

That's my prediction too. I think chances are we let Gross walk/retire, and we upgrade our offensive line through the draft in those first few picks. If we can get some bookend tackles to protect Cam for years to come then we can finally get this offense going.

That being said, it all depends on what happens during free agency. If we go and load up on the offensive line I could see us drafting skinny come April

Heck, he might just use FA to get Cam some affordable "weapons", sign a couple of cheap vets for the O line and get our O line for the future like you said. Let's not forget we have 2 Interior lineman coming back from IR that were suppose to be our starters this year in Amini and Edmund.

48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'd do.

1. David Yankey - LG
2. James Hurst - LT

1. Allen Robinson - WR
2. Brandin Cooks - WR

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Craig Loston - S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the G/T "double" makes a lot more sense.

I'd love to snag Gabe Jackson in the first and Cameron Fleming in the second. Both instant starters on the right side, Fleming could move over to left tackle after getting some experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we have needs on the OL and DB...and likely it would be good do double on one of those positions, but I think an early pick has to be dedicated to getting Cam some more firepower. I really would like another TE, honestly, because it can really create the mismatches we need. No offense to Greg Olson, but I'm just looking at what the Pats did and what Jimmy Graham and all those big receiving TEs that have come around. I'd like to see WR and TE made a priority in this draft, probably not a double situation, but maybe like 1 + 3 with OL in the 2nd.

Sig by Me
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaKitten wrote:
I know we have needs on the OL and DB...and likely it would be good do double on one of those positions, but I think an early pick has to be dedicated to getting Cam some more firepower. I really would like another TE, honestly, because it can really create the mismatches we need. No offense to Greg Olson, but I'm just looking at what the Pats did and what Jimmy Graham and all those big receiving TEs that have come around. I'd like to see WR and TE made a priority in this draft, probably not a double situation, but maybe like 1 + 3 with OL in the 2nd.

Preach brother.

1. Jace Amaro/Austin Seferian Jenkins
2. Odell Beckham Jr./Devante Adams

INSTANT 40 PTS A GAME

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
I think the G/T "double" makes a lot more sense.

I'd love to snag Gabe Jackson in the first and Cameron Fleming in the second. Both instant starters on the right side, Fleming could move over to left tackle after getting some experience.

The more I think of it, I think it would be a wise decision to go back to back with OL. I think if we can solidify the OL it changes a few other things in our offense like the ability to make big plays downfield, opens up the running game. The biggest issue we had this year was making plays downfield, if it took more than 3-4 seconds to setup the play to get a reciever open, Cam was taking a hit and going down.

I was never sure either why Shula did not roll Cam out to help him extend plays,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While doubling up worked this past year, I think the best course of action is to go WR, OT/OG in Rounds 1 and 2. Obviously if the draft board works out that there's a lineman you really want or the WRs with first round value are gone when we pick at #28, you go ahead and take the value. But I think our first two picks should be at different positions.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
faccda01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Here's what I'd do.

1. David Yankey - LG
2. James Hurst - LT

1. Allen Robinson - WR
2. Brandin Cooks - WR

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Craig Loston - S

I would love this. I think that we need targets for Cam big time. I have been saying this for a few years actually. Our OL was satisfactory this year, and as previously mentioned we will be getting some pieces back in that department.

I say WR/OL would be my dream, but in the spirit of this thread I would love a pair of playmakers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This

1. Allen Robinson - WR
2. Brandin Cooks - WR

So much could go wrong with so many rookies on a offensive line...Don't like that idea at all.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a #1 WR for the future. We are much more likely to find that in round 1. Round 2 can be used on an OL that can step in immediately.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd address both areas by adding OL and TE.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89 06 MVP wrote:
This

1. Allen Robinson - WR
2. Brandin Cooks - WR

So much could go wrong with so many rookies on a offensive line...Don't like that idea at all.

I'd rather have that than a rookie WR tandom (1/2)

Most receivers are like a Dime a dozen, and rookies aren't going to have a big rookie season unless they are an A.J. Green or Randy Moss Kind of Talent. Plus I still have Dwayne Jarrett issues so this scenario scares the hell out if me. Laughing

48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: