Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texan0305

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Offensive help! Reply with quote

The texans desperately need a number 2 reciever, there's no way this team in my eyes is a contender without protecting Carr and also giving him some targets down the field....any ideas keep the posts going on this site!
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to see how some of the guys in this draft pan out for our offense. Jerome Mathis has really been turning some heads with his speed, and the only downside with him is that he is raw but he could easily turn into something special. As well, I think that Morency will eventually become our feature back. If Bennie Joppru can stay healthy, Jabar Gaffney can quit being such a f**kin bust, and the O-line can keep improving, I think our offense could really do some damage.

And defensively, I think that we are improved, contrary to most opinions. Travis Johnson has really come on and has been impressing at workouts. As well, we now have two quick linebackers on the inside in Wong and Greenwood. And despite his past problems, Buchanon is an upgrade over Glenn and should team with Dunta to form a pretty good corner tandem.
goose85

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROY BROWN please
texan0305

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: yaaa Reply with quote

Ya i agree with you with what you have to say, i love the make up of the team on the defensive side, they are younger and faster and more than likely alot more improved, many people forget how bad this team was at times defensively, they addressed a major need which was getting pass rushers on the defensive side, offensively it's a bit scary to me, i hope morency can be the back that we all that that tony hollings was going to be, also mathis is raw but i'd love to see armstrong get some more playing time, the guy has shown time and time again that he can come up with the big catch, i agree about jabar, he's a character guy he's a good guy, but will he ever be the potent number 2 receiver? ummm i dont want to think about it lol i personally dont think so, i guess we're going to see in mini camps and also training camp how good mathis is, maybe just maybe he can step in and become that potent number 2 receiver, to me this team has lots of questions on the offensive side definately not a good way to enter a season but they're still at worst middle of the pack offensively in the afc, is troy brown available?!?!?! Wouldn't he look nice in steel blue, well anyways the way i see it this might be the team dom envisioned when he took over as coach of this franchise, a team with speed on defense, and a offensive team that will chew up the game clock, dom's definately a disciplinarian so i hope to see the defense take a huge step forward in the next season if they're are any talks for this team to be contenders in the division we'll need our defense to be talked about as one of the best in the league........any thoughts ?
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Most of your comments are along the same lines that I have been thinking. Defensively I really think we're in a good position. If Peek can play well outside, I think Babin, Wong and Greenwood will be good at the other linebacker spots. If the D-line can stay healthy, the quartet of Walker, Payne, Smith and Johnson could at least provide steady pressure on the QB and keep blockers off our linebackers. Buchanon and Robinson are two fast and excellent cornerbacks. And Earl and Coleman at the safety spots are steady, but not spectacular. So defensively we have the pieces in place.

Offensively, you're right, we're all concerned. The O-line is always a source of concern, but I don't know if we could have addressed it with any of our picks. Barron is a gamble, as is Khalif Barnes. So they could have taken Barron in the first, or traded down and taken Barnes. But I don't see those two guys paying off right away. There also was no WR or RB worth taking when we drafted. Next year, however, is extremely deep with O-line talent. The texans will be able to get their new left tackle next year, and that will probably be the last piece the team will need to add. So I really like that they got Travis Johnson this year. The only DT next year that has truly emerged was Rod Wright, and he may go too high for us to grab him.

I truly believe that we are closer to being a playoff contender than people give us credit for.
texan0305

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: yaa Reply with quote

yaa i didnt think of it in that sense, next years draft is full of top offensive lineman thats true, i hope we make a step forward this year and not a step back they should be a team around 8-8, but the league of parody is the nfl so a team thats destined for 8-8 could concievably go 10-6, so you never know, also the key players on this team must stay healthy, should be a very exciting season, the anticipation grows on!........Ok quick question to everyone out there, any one feel as if jabar will have a break out season? Even though theres no evidence of him being that number 2 receiver i think this year he'll shine in that role, i hope he doesn't fall under the radar with the coaching staff
texansfan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Gaffney has a good year. But I've basically given up hope on him. My big hope is for Bennie Joppru this year. If he lives up to the reasons the texans selected him ahead of Jason Witten (I'm still pissed that we did that), then the offense might have another reliable weapon.
texan0305

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: joppru report Reply with quote

Bennie is ready to start workouts, thats what i heard this week on the local radio station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: