Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Calendar - Key Dates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfields

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: 2014 NFL Calendar - Key Dates Reply with quote

Jan. 12 - Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their wild-card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of divisional playoff games
Jan. 18 - East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL
Jan. 19 - AFC and NFC Conference Championship Games
Jan. 24 – Feb. 16 - Regional Combines (Various locations)
Jan. 25 - Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL
Jan. 26 - Pro Bowl, Aloha Stadium, HI
Jan. 26 - An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl and who has previously interviewed for another club's head coaching job may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl
Feb. 2 - Super Bowl XLVIII, MetLife Stadium, New York/New Jersey
Feb. 3 - Waiver system begins
Feb. 17 - First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition players.
Feb. 19-25 - NFL Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
March 1 - NFL Regional Combine, One Buccaneer Place, Tampa, FL
March 3 - Deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transitional players (4 p.m. ET)
March 8-11 - Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 8. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.
March 11 - New league year. Free agency begins
March 11 - Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.
March 11 - Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.
March 11 - Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.
March 11 - All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m. ET.
March 23-26 - Owners meeting, Orlando, FL
April 7 - Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2013 regular season may begin off-season workout programs.
April 21 - Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.
May 2 - Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
May 7 - Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
May 8-10 - NFL draft, New York, Radio City Music Hall. First round begins at 8 p.m. ET.
May 19-21 - Spring meeting, Atlanta
June 22-28 - Rookie Symposium
July 15 - At 4:00 p.m. ET, deadline for any club to sign a player designated a Franchise player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2014 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.
July - Teams report to training camp no sooner than 15 days prior to the team's first preseason game.
September 4, 7 & 8 - Kickoff Weekend 2014
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see this all laid out.

Pushing the draft back a month makes no sense to me. It already wasn't much time for rookies and now the gap between the combine and the draft is 3 months.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

Pushing the draft back a month makes no sense to me. It already wasn't much time for rookies and now the gap between the combine and the draft is 3 months.

The NFL doesn't truly care about that. They don't care about rookies having more time to prepare. All they know is that May is "May sweeps" and advertising dollars kick up a notch during the month. So they get to compete for those prime time dollars. It also brings more money and attention to their NFLN. The NFL cares about its product in-so-far as that product not producing legal suites against them or their Superstar QBs getting hurt. Outside of that... they probably couldn't care less because they know the fans will be there to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

The NFL doesn't truly care about that. They don't care about rookies having more time to prepare. All they know is that May is "May sweeps" and advertising dollars kick up a notch during the month. So they get to compete for those prime time dollars. It also brings more money and attention to their NFLN. The NFL cares about its product in-so-far as that product not producing legal suites against them or their Superstar QBs getting hurt. Outside of that... they probably couldn't care less because they know the fans will be there to watch.

Moving the draft back two weeks isn't that big of a deal. Most of the draft picks don't sign until June anyway. And moving the draft back actually enhances the possibility that more of the rookie class can attend OTAs with their teams, since the current CBA prohibits them from joining the team for anything more than the rookie walkthrough following the draft until their respective school semester/quarter is completed, regardless of whether they're enrolled or not.

If they can keep the Shield in the news to even the casual fan into the beginning of the summer vacation season, all the better for them.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Moving the draft back two weeks isn't that big of a deal. Most of the draft picks don't sign until June anyway. And moving the draft back actually enhances the possibility that more of the rookie class can attend OTAs with their teams, since the current CBA prohibits them from joining the team for anything more than the rookie walkthrough following the draft until their respective school semester/quarter is completed, regardless of whether they're enrolled or not.

If they can keep the Shield in the news to even the casual fan into the beginning of the summer vacation season, all the better for them.

I'm not arguing this to be a big deal... because I don't think it is. It's good for the NFL. Like I said, they're going to make more money from advertising because of this move. And like you said, it shortens the "NFL offseason". The only benefit to prospects however is that guys who suffer injuries in college now have more time to recover and show their athleticism to NFL scouts and front office men.

But 2-3 weeks is plenty of time when it comes to getting a playbook and studying up on your scheme.

Obviously Torrey Smith and Jimmy Smith didn't even have much of an offseason to get up-to-speed... and they're turning out fine, so in the grand scheme two weeks is inconsequential.

But if you're looking at the short term... two weeks definitely helps a draft pick increase his awareness and ability to produce early. For someone who struggles with picking up the terminology it could be the difference between getting comfortable in training camp and getting comfortable in week 2. Week two might not win you your job. But maybe training camp does.

I'm not hating on the NFL for trying to exploit a better money making opportunity. I just realize that the prospect preparation isn't something they likely care about when making such a decision. In business, money is king.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, DB. CA$H is king! When I originally heard about the draft moving back, I recall hearing that the NFL wanted events that they could pump up in 3 separate months: The Combine, Free Agency & the Draft. So apparently they are going to attempt to create a higher profile for free agency this year. The NFL is doing everything within their power to spread the off-season out to make the NFL a 12-month sport.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But having the draft so far from the combine is just weird. I don't know why they didin't push that back as well. The combine is like a job interview for prospects. What exactly are scouts and rookies going to do during that 3 month gap. I have a bad feeling that's going to lead to more out of shape rookies and dumb off the field stories.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a part of it looks like to me is that the NFL wants to give teams more time to sort themselves out in free agency before the draft. Something that caught my eye was that the restricted free agent offer sheet deadline is before the draft (at least I think it was after the draft in previous years) now. That gives them an even clearer picture of what they need to do in the draft. At least the league hasn't turned the draft into a seven day event like it was rumored they were thinking about a little while back. That would be terrible, and I love the draft and the process leading up to it. One round a day... ugh.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are comp picks announced? That's like Christmas for Ravens' fans.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime in March after free agency has started I think. I'm not sure if I've said there here or not but I think the Ravens get three compensation picks. A 4th round pick for Ellerbe, a 4th round pick for Kruger and a 5th or 6th round pick for Williams. Baltimore won't get anything for Reed since he was cut by the Texans.

I believe the Ravens only have 4 of their own picks right now. They traded a 4th and 5th round pick for Monroe and I think their 7th round pick is going to Indianapolis this year for the Shipley trade. It might even be Baltimore's 6th round pick but probably not.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

Teams are informed of their comp picks at the owner's meetings. So based on the above chart... March 23-26 they'll know. Maybe we find out on the 27th.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know when the schedule is announced?

IIRC it used to be about a week before the draft. Has that changed or will it still be in late April?

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
dcfields

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Teams are informed of their comp picks at the owner's meetings. So based on the above chart... March 23-26 they'll know. Maybe we find out on the 27th.

You are correct, sir! They will be determined by the NFL Management Council at the Owner's Meeting (March 23rd - 26th). They have historically been reported to the public on the last Sunday in March.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: