Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will run the fastest 40 time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will run the fastest 40 time at the Combine?
Sammy Watkins
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Marqise Lee
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Jason Verrett
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bradley Roby
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Bishop Sankey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Odell Beckham, Jr.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Louchiez Purifoy
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Kyle Fuller
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jarvis Landry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anthony Barr
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Johnny Manziel
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
"The Field"/Other/Not Mentioned
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Who will run the fastest 40 time? Reply with quote

Of players that could potentially be selected in the 1st or 2nd round in the 2014 NFL Draft, which player do you think will run the fastest 40 time at this year's NFL Combine?
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got a little bored. I figured this was something we could have a little bit of fun with. Something to look back on and claim bragging rights to for the year.

I picked Ohio State CB Bradley Roby as my early favorite but could you imagine the buzz it would create if Manziel ran a sub-4.5? OR A SUB-4.4?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with Brandin Cooks. This year seems like it's more of a toss-up than others have been lately.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins and De'Anthony Thomas are the first that come to mind.

Free Ray Rice
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Along with these guys, I'm going to throw out a dart and say Dexter McDougle from UMD.

Maryland has a track record of producing some combine freaks, some fast players. And McDougle apparently ran a 4.38 forty going INTO Maryland. Just imagine what that S&C program could do for him. He's still not bulky, so I could easily see him drop that down to about a 4.30s and win NFL combine's fastest player...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Along with these guys, I'm going to throw out a dart and say Dexter McDougle from UMD.

Maryland has a track record of producing some combine freaks, some fast players. And McDougle apparently ran a 4.38 forty going INTO Maryland. Just imagine what that S&C program could do for him. He's still not bulky, so I could easily see him drop that down to about a 4.30s and win NFL combine's fastest player...

McDougle was one of my favorite Terps this year...it was a shame he went down with a season ending injury so early

GO RAVENS!!
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Lol, db you stay trying to hype this dude.

I've taken a class or two with the guy and maybe my personal bias plays into this, but the guy doesn't seem all that smart, little bit of a jerk too. And up until this season, he hadn't been that great on the football field either. Now, I'm not trying to downplay his speed or divert the topic at hand here, but I am curious to know why you like him enough to have included him in a few of your mocks this year?

In regards to the OP though, if it's not either Watkins or De'Anthony Thomas I'd be surprised.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odell Beckham may surprise quite a few folks when the 40s are run.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Lol, db you stay trying to hype this dude.

I've taken a class or two with the guy and maybe my personal bias plays into this, but the guy doesn't seem all that smart, little bit of a jerk too. And up until this season, he hadn't been that great on the football field either. Now, I'm not trying to downplay his speed or divert the topic at hand here, but I am curious to know why you like him enough to have included him in a few of your mocks this year?

In regards to the OP though, if it's not either Watkins or De'Anthony Thomas I'd be surprised.

Well I mentioned him in the thread because he's fast. It's not hype. As a noted sub 4.4 forty candidate he has a legitimate argument for being one of the fastest guys in this class.

In terms of my mocks... Because he's obviously athletic and seemed to finally becoming a player. Lastly being bright doesn't necessarily make for a standout athlete. I've taken classes with a guy who was the best player on the St. John's basketball team (not that we were all that great) and he wasn't bright. But he knew how to put the ball in the basket.

Intelligence is also a similarly relative concept. Ask a theoretical physicist to change a tire and he might look at you dumbfounded, but Joe the Plumber could do it in a jiffy. If our society was based around changing tires Joe the Plumber might be considered the genius.

So back to football. Being bright in the classroom doesn't equate to on-field instincts. I'm not saying McDougle is an instinctive player bound for success. But he's athletic and made some plays. A great defensive coach might be able to take that talent and elevate it into a quality starter.

If McDougle succeeds in the NFL he won't be the first less than bright player to do it. Have you seem some of the player interviews for some of these guys? Terrell Pryor had that notable idiotic statement at OSU. Kenny Britt was a head case/idiot but that didn't keep him from dominating against a bright mind like Domonique Foxworth in 2011. Point is, I don't know whether or not McDougle is capable of being a solid player, but he's got the athletic resources that most don't have. Whether that's good enough, not sure... But spending a 5th-7th round pick to find out also isn't a bad proposition. There's much worse risk one could take involving a player and the draft... Like someone with noted gang affiliations or being on substances... And as we know Hernandez went 4th round and Colt Lyerla just might end up being drafted too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't be the fastest, but I think Jeremy Gallon will raise a few eyebrows when he runs his 40.

He's currently being ranked as a 7th round pick, but I think he can go a fair bit higher than that, based on his ability to make plays.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:

His speed has impressed me as well. He intrigues me as a prospect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:

His speed has impressed me as well. He intrigues me as a prospect.

I think he has a Torrey Smith-like skill set, but might be just a tad faster in a straight line than Torrey.

If we miss out on the top WRs, replacing Jacoby with Beckham wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. There are still a couple of guys I'd rather have, but Beckham is a player and will be a better pro than he was a collegiate receiver.
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
Watkins 4.43
Lee 4.52
Verrett 4.38
Roby 4.39
Sankey 4.49
Beckham 4.43
Purifoy 4.61
Fuller 4.49
Landry 4.77
Barr 4.66
Manziel 4.68

Some of "The Field" players mentioned in the thread
Cooks - 4.33 (CoordinatorO)
Gallon - 4.49
De'Ant. Thomas - 4.50
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we were all wrong. Dri Archer obliterated the competition and did it by tying Calvin Johnson for the fewest steps needed to run a forty, 18 steps... only Archer is only 5'8". That's insane. Means you could successfully press this dude to throw him off his route, but in just three steps, he could end up toasting you. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw the "1st or 2nd round" caveat in there so we will have to wait to see if Dri is selected. Funny. I've been tracking him. He's dangerous. Sproles but faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: