Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Historical - The last 20 #16 and #17 picks in the draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Historical - The last 20 #16 and #17 picks in the draft Reply with quote

16th overall pick in the NFL Draft

2013 E.J. Manuel Bills QB Florida State
2012 Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
2011 Ryan Kerrigan Redskins Purdue
2010 Derrick Morgan Titans Georgia Tech
2009 Larry English Chargers LB Northern Illinois
2008 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Cardinals DB Tennessee State
2007 Justin Harrell Packers DT Tennessee
2006 Jason Allen Dolphins DB Tennessee
2005 Travis Johnson Texans DT Florida State
2004 Shawn Andrews Eagles T Arkansas
2003 Troy Polamalu Steelers DB USC
2002 William Green Browns RB Boston College
2001 Santana Moss Jets WR Miami (FL)
2000 Julian Peterson 49ers LB Michigan State
1999 Jevon Kearse Oilers LB Florida
1998 Kevin Dyson Oilers WR Utah
1997 Reidel Anthony Buccaneers WR Florida
1996 Duane Clemons Vikings DE California
1995 Hugh Douglas Jets DE Central State (OH)
1994 Aaron Taylor Packers T Notre Dame

17th overall pick in the NFL Draft

2013 Jarvis Jones Steelers LB Georgia
2012 Dre Kirkpatrick Bengals DB Alabama
2011 Nate Solder Patriots T Colorado
2010 Mike Iupati 49ers G Idaho
2009 Josh Freeman Buccaneers QB Kansas State
2008 Gosder Cherilus Lions T Boston College
2007 Jarvis Moss Broncos DE Florida
2006 Chad Greenway Vikings LB Iowa
2005 David Pollack Bengals DE Georgia
2004 D.J. Williams Broncos LB Miami (FL)
2003 Bryant Johnson Cardinals WR Penn State
2002 Phillip Buchanon Raiders DB Miami (FL)
2001 Steve Hutchinson Seahawks G Michigan
2000 Sebastian Janikowski Raiders K Florida State
1999 Damien Woody Patriots C Boston College
1998 Brian Simmons Bengals LB North Carolina
1997 Kenard Lang Redskins DE Miami (FL)
1996 Reggie Brown Lions LB Texas A&M
1995 Tyrone Wheatley Giants RB Michigan
1994 Charles Johnson Steelers WR Colorado
dcfields

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, the majority of these guys were productive NFL players.

I remember in '95, this guy Dave-Te' Thomas (a NFL talent evaluator) came out and stated that he was willing to stake his entire career on Hugh Douglas' success. He said on air that if Douglas was a failure, that he would retire from scouting forever. Douglas ended up being the Defensive ROTY, went to 3 pro bowls and had 80 career sacks. Pretty risky wager considering not everyone pans out. I think Thomas worked as a consultant for the Giants for a few years after that.

There were a few stinkers on this list too. David Pollack's doing college analysis for ESPN now. Buchanon was Ed Reed's teammate on what was one of the best college secondaries of all time (with Sean Taylor and Mike Rumph). I thought Bryant Johnson, Willie Green and Charles Johnson were gonna be much better than they were. And I thought Tyrone Wheatley was gonna be a Hall of Fame RB. Definitely not an exact science.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:

For the most part, the majority of these guys were productive NFL players.

There were a few stinkers on this list too. David Pollack's doing college analysis for ESPN now. Buchanon was Ed Reed's teammate on what was one of the best college secondaries of all time (with Sean Taylor and Mike Rumph). I thought Bryant Johnson, Willie Green and Charles Johnson were gonna be much better than they were. And I thought Tyrone Wheatley was gonna be a Hall of Fame RB. Definitely not an exact science.

What jumps out to me about those lists is that the majority of the better picks at those draft slots were OL, and the WRs were largely busts. If you believe in that as a trend, then we should get a fat guy in the 1st and find a skill position player later on.

And to be fair to Pollack, he was actually a pretty good player in Cincy who had a freak neck injury that limited him to just over one season as a pro
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of this post, ESPN has 68 underclassmen listed as declared for the 2014 NFL draft. And there's still a week left to declare. This essentially guarantees a very good player that fills a need (or simply a very good player) will be available at #16/#17. I can't help but think TRADE DOWN now. I'm hoping that Manziel falls and someone wants him really bad so the Ravens can clean up on additional picks (I wouldn't touch Manziel. I'll save the dozen reasons why for another post. I'm just grateful the Ravens don't need a QB). I'm salivating at the thought of the Ravens trading down 4, 5 or 6 spots and picking up additional picks in the 3rd and/or 4th in the process (not to mention the compensatory picks heading our way).

You're right about Pollack. My statement was unfair. However, I still don't think he would have been a great one had he stayed healthy.

Slightly contrary to some of my previous posts, it wouldn't bother me if the Ravens selected the 3rd, 4th or 5th best O-Lineman on their board IF they were to pick up some additional picks in the process. Insurance! Like when they followed up the Dickson pick with Pitta.

Last edited by dcfields on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
You're right about Pollack. I statement was unfair. However, I still don't think he would have been a great one had he stayed healthy.
I second you there

Lets face it, we'd all be cheering if we ended up with Sebastian Janikowski 2. Imagine him and Tucker out there together, there's a top 10 offence right there lol.

Seriously though it looks good for O-linemen with all the selectionsbeing repeat or at least one time Pro-Bowlers; Iupati, Solder, Hutchinson, Woody and Shawn Andrews. Lets hope its a good sign for us leading into the draft
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders have to be the only team that has ever drafted a kicker and a punter in the 1st round. SMH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: