Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FM's 2014 Mock Version 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: FM's 2014 Mock Version 1.0 Reply with quote

Disclaimer before we begin: I haven't done a whole lot of diving into 2014 prospects quite yet, so my evaluations of the below picks may certainly be off. This mock is simply to get some more discussion going about certain prospects and who may be available where. I used some descriptions based off of Walter Football (not the best site, but easiest for me to simply get names and potential rounds) as well as quick watches of some highlights to confirm.

--

#16 - Mike Evans, WR, TA&M - With Watkins' huge performance in the Orange Bowl and the fact that speed sells at the combine, I think he goes as the first WR. Evans, however, is a nice consolation prize. He brings something we don't have at the WR currently -- size. Can fight in traffic, big catch radius, and is a sneaky deep threat.

# 49 - Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas - Best C prospect in the draft, in my opinion. We may have to move up a few slots for him, but I think he could certainly fall here.

#80 - CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa - Big, long, blocking TE with some hands. With Pitta being more of a hands guy, we could certainly use another TE who can help block on the line.

4th round comp - Dion Bailey, S, USC - Has been playing WILL LB at USC but he has natural coverage skills. Can be a ballhawk but I question his speed a bit. A bit bigger of a FS so he may be more of a tweener, but I think would be a good compliment to Elam and being a LB, we know he can tackle.

4th round comp - Jack Mewhort, RT, OSU - Long guy, better run blocker than pass protector. Can compete with Wagner at RT.

5th round comp - Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue -- Slot guy, plays gritty football. Can compete with Asa Jackson for Graham's play time.

6th round - Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornell -- With the now realization that Flacco is human after all and may eventually suffer an injury, the Ravens decide to snag a late round QB in a similar mold who could potentially step in long-term. Tyrod Taylor, while exciting, is not going to be able to come in and potentially save a season. Matthews has good size at 6-4, 230lbs and a strong arm. I'd have to assume he's smart seeing as he went to Cornell, so that should help in the film room.

7th round comp - Kenny Hilliard, RB, LSU - Big back which could help in goal line situations. Good size can help him stick around on STs as well.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Jeff Matthews pick. Could easily see that turning into higher draft picks for us in a few years.

Free Ray Rice
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting a developmental pocket passer for years. Haven't seen enough of Matthews to have an opinion, but I love the idea.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people on this board are incredibly high on Mike Evans. I can't say that I'm one of them. I would be alright with taking him in the 1st round... but not at pick #16. I don't think Evans is clear cut better than Matthews, Lee, Adams. He simply has too many games of little note. Out of the big name WRs he has the fewest 100+ games and the most 50> games. He's not a consistent producer. If we draft Evans then I think we'd need to seriously consider drafting another receiver that can be a reception magnet. Because our pass game is going to continue to be streaky... as we'd have no WR threats that can consistently be relied upon. Torrey Smith is streaky, Evans is streaky, and Brown is streaky. We need a Derrick Mason type presence in our receiving core just as much as we need a redzone threat. And for my money, Evans is one of the least consistent WRs in the draft. He can put up great games, sure... but I find him to be very much overrated.

Picking as high as we are, I'd rather add a dominant run blocker like Greg Robinson at RT. He's one of the best run blockers the college game has seen since Orlando Pace. I just don't like the positional value of adding a receiver in the top half of a draft unless they're a true #1 WO... and I don't believe there are any of those Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon types in this class. I was all in for a WR before we improved our draft slot as much by missing the playoffs... now, I think the 2nd round is the definite sweet spot. 3 of my top 5 WR options might all still be on the board when we are up to pick.

2. I like Swanson as the best center in this draft class, but I've cooled on him over the past couple months. I think he sort of reminds me of Peter Konz. Athletic and consistent, but doesn't appear to dominate enough. I do like Swanson's experience in the SEC making line calls all this time, that experience should prove to be invaluable in competing for that starting center spot.

3. I LOVE CJF. He's a absolute canibal out there in run blocking. Definitely the best this class has to offer. He also offers a TE option with some nice straight line speed for seam routes and the hands to make the grabs. If Dickson made more of those grabs, he'd consistently be a 500yd receiving TE type option. CJF doesn't have the agility and burst to separate in small spaces and he isn't a tackle breaking machine for his size, but he can be a reliable receiver to go along with his blocking.

4. Don't like the fit of Bailey next to Elam. Bailey simply doesn't have the range necessary to be a traditional FS type. Essentially we'd end up keeping Elam at FS and moving Bailey to a similar role as we utilized Ihedigbo in this season, which I'm not a fan of. We need a safety with good instincts and range.

5. If Wagner competing at RT is apart of any plan... it should be scrapped. Wagner has had enough snaps this season to notice his inability to battle leverage at the point. He also lacks the quick feet to be a pass blocking success. In terms of Mewhort, He's a guy I like, though I'm not sure if he'll fall to the 4th round without help (injuries, bad reports, etc.)

6. Ricardo Allen is a name I used earlier in my first mock. I like his quickness. I think he could make for a useful nickel corner. He's going to be an overachiever IMO.

Jeff Matthews isn't someone I'm familiar with. And I'm only partly familiar with Hilliard. So I won't comment on those picks.

Overall, I'd give the draft about a B. I think we address our needs with talented player options but tend to leave a few spots with value left on the board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans is good with me. Like I said in another thread any of the top guys this year would make me happy. It's incredible.

Swanson is a guy I've somewhat cooled on. Like db424 said he's not physically dominant and I like to see that with an interior lineman. Of course most center prospects aren't so I wouldn't be at all upset with Swanson in the 2nd round either.

Fiedorowicz is always a solid third round pick in my book. Perfect compliment to Pitta and would probably be a suitable short-term replacement as a starter if Pitta gets hurt again.

Not a fan of the Bailey pick. I want a safety next to Elam that has at least good range. I'm really particular about that one.

Mewhort is meh. Would fit the typical mid-round Ravens OL pick.

Allen is decent there.

Not familiar with Matthews as a QB but I like the idea of getting a real passer behind Flacco.

Hilliard works at that point. 3rd RB is definitely a need and whoever gets that slot will probably have to be an effective special teams player so I'd guess it will be a bigger back like Hilliard.

Pretty solid overall.
RayBringsPain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the WR class is so deep this year, it's almost a certainty we will see OL/DL in the first round.

I would love to see a value FA WR, like a Maclin or James Jones to supplement a 3rd/4th rd pick.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayBringsPain wrote:
I feel the WR class is so deep this year, it's almost a certainty we will see OL/DL in the first round.

I would love to see a value FA WR, like a Maclin or James Jones to supplement a 3rd/4th rd pick.

I agree about the depth of WR in this class, but IMO, we need a true #1 guy. I love Torrey to death, but he can be taken out of games pretty easily and we don't have anyone opposite him that can get open consistently. A true potential #1 like Watkins or Evans, IMO, would open Torrey up even more.

While I think OL is most definitely a pressing need, I don't think we see a 1st round pick for a RT and C just doesn't have the value there. I could potentially see DL, though, but we are very deep there with Tyson, KLM, Ngata, Canty, Williams so I think we hold off there.

I just think if the value is there (which I think it is with Evans at #16), we pull the trigger on a potential #1 WR. I think we lacked that playmaker all season despite our best attempts with Torrey/Jacoby/Brown/Doss/etc.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still favour going for the best Tackle on the board in the 1st round, whether the Ravens keep Monroe or not. Someone like Robinson or Lewan could play RT for his rookie year, and then a decision could be made on keeping them there or trading Monroe.

Giving the offense as strong a base to work from as possible has to be the priority in my opinion, after watching how they struggled this season. Fixing the run game opens up the secondary for receivers, and having a solid line gives Joe time to find them.

If defenses are scared of Rice and/or Pierce, then Torrey will get more space anyway, and the Ravens could still add a WR in the 2nd or 3rd who could divert attention away from him.

From what I've seen, Watkins is clear number 1 WR on the board, and then there are four or five guys who have similar potential. Watkins will be gone by 16, and one or two of the others might stick around until the 2nd round.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
RayBringsPain wrote:

I agree about the depth of WR in this class, but IMO, we need a true #1 guy. I love Torrey to death, but he can be taken out of games pretty easily and we don't have anyone opposite him that can get open consistently. A true potential #1 like Watkins or Evans, IMO, would open Torrey up even more.

While I think OL is most definitely a pressing need, I don't think we see a 1st round pick for a RT and C just doesn't have the value there. I could potentially see DL, though, but we are very deep there with Tyson, KLM, Ngata, Canty, Williams so I think we hold off there.

I just think if the value is there (which I think it is with Evans at #16), we pull the trigger on a potential #1 WR. I think we lacked that playmaker all season despite our best attempts with Torrey/Jacoby/Brown/Doss/etc.

That's probably where we differ on this class then. I simply don't see a true #1 receiver in this class. Sammy Watkins is perhaps an upper middle classman's (to Torrey's middle class) version of Torrey Smith. A surefire top 15-20 WR option, but not someone that I believe will ever be considered a true #1 in that top 10 mold. If we didn't already have Torrey Smith, I might be more inclined to like Watkins fit.

Don't get me wrong, Watkins is arguably my #1 receiver in this class. Not considering fit, he would be above Matthews and with fit, he's still 2b for me... but even the best this class has to offer, I don't feel is that "true" #1 option, but rather a guy that will always be argued in a class of others.

And Evans, for me, isn't on Watkins level. I don't think he offers a true #1 WR either. He simply doesn't get open enough in the short to intermediate areas for me to be behind taking him that high or to see him as a true #1 option. As an intermediate threat, I like him... but when our receivers already struggle to gain separation on routes, I don't like adding a guy with a similar struggle. You can argue the point of, "Evans strength at the catch point and size always make him open" and that could be a fair point. But it still makes for dangerous passes when targeting him in those situations, like with Anquan Boldin. I just don't like his ability to be sudden and gain separation and I think that's a big reason as to why he can dominate games and then have long stretches where he has no impact.

I don't see Evans as a "true #1" to go at #16, I don't think he's a BPA candidate, nor do I see him as being far enough above the other receivers that he would even quantify as being a desperation type pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: