Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery will not return next season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery will not return next season Reply with quote

Text from Ravens:

Quote:
John Harbaugh announced that Ravens running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery will not return to the team for the 2014 season

John Harbaugh: “Wilbert has decided to pursue other coaching and life opportunities,”

Whatever that means...

This is a head scratchier to me. Think there will be more ?
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything against anyone. But I would like to see this staff get younger. It's mostly lifer position coaches and failed head coaches/coordinators who took a big step backwards into the position they now hold here. We've had the same two quality control coaches for a few years who haven't been promoted which I think is uncommon.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbert has been around a long time, I think. That's possibly the main reason for this move. He's 59, according to a quick search, so perhaps he just wants to take a step back and slow down.

It'd be harsh if he's being left to carry the can for the terrible run game, because I don't think it had a whole lot to do with the coaching of the RBs at all. And Montgomery has done a great job with Ray Rice over the years, and with Bernard Pierce last year.

But more youth in the coaching ranks would be a good thing. Fresh ideas, fresh perspective.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery will not return next season Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:
Text from Ravens:

Quote:
John Harbaugh announced that Ravens running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery will not return to the team for the 2014 season

John Harbaugh: “Wilbert has decided to pursue other coaching and life opportunities,”

Whatever that means...

Nice way of saying he was fired.

Don't mind it, Montgomery has put in some good service to the team but it can be valuable to change things up and introduce some fresh ideas and perspective. Montgomery was a good mentor for Rice particularly because was a smaller back much like Rice but if we can bring in someone who relates to Pierce more that will be more important for the future; he didn't show much improvement in terms of his vision and decision-making this year.

I doubt this is the only change we make... doesn't seem like Montgomery was able to line up a new job which is probably why he was the first to go, but in the coming days and weeks I think we'll see some other changes made. Outside of the obvious boogey man in Castillo the other position coach I'll really be hoping gets canned is Hostler at the WR position.

FWIW, Aaron Wilson sees other changes coming...

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
More changes to Ravens' staff likely, but nothing final yet, per sources. Offensive side of ball expected to be impacted most heavily

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the offensive position coaches need to be replaced. They've been around forever and I don't think any of them have done a particularly good job coaching up their positions. Montgomery might have actually been the best of the bunch but I pretty much want fresh faces everywhere. I'm expecting Castillo to be back but getting Monroe in for a full offseason as well as a healthy Osemele and Yanda is going to help a lot. Not having an incompetent center would also be nice. As much crap as we've all given Castillo he's proven to be a good offensive line coach. I just hope the team gets him the rest of the square pegs to fit in the square holes.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the sense from various reports (including this one) along with Harbaugh's press conference that many coaches will be given the opportunity to interview with other organizations prior to getting the axe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: