Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical - The Panthers make it to the Super Bowl. How?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizardg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Hypothetical - The Panthers make it to the Super Bowl. How? Reply with quote

Instead of asking what the Panthers need to do to get to the Super Bowl I'm asking it in reverse.
Imagine that the Panthers are in the Bowl - what happened for them to get there.

I will answer my own question with my limited knowledge of the team. What has to happen (not in order of importance)

1. Panthers crack the Seachickens on opening day and get off to a good start like say 3-1.
1a. Steve Smith stays healthy.
2. Star L or the other rookie DT or both play like defensive rookie of the year candidates
3. Cam elevates Domminick Hickson's to being (very) good #2, and turns Ted Ginn into a big play WR. or the Panthers pick up a late cut WR (or trades for one like Jacoby Ford??) who comes up big.
4. The front four and front seven are incredible. Panthers are top three in sacks.
5a. Fueled by outstanding front 7 play the secondary bends but gets a surprising number of picks and leads the league in pick6s.
5. Luke proves he's the truth by having an even better year than last year.
6. In head to head matchups the Panther DL owns the Falcons OL and they punish Matty Slush.
7. Panther running game is top 5.
8. Cam continues to evolve and posts first 90+ QB rating.
9. the OL is rock solid.
10. Shula pans out.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cam reaches Elite level. Right now, he's at the Good QB level, but will need to reach elite status.

2. Secondary plays consistently well. No out of position players, no getting beat, then always creating turnovers and tackling well.

3. More offensive production from the WRs not named Steve Smith.

4. D Line has to be unstoppable. 15+ sacks for Hardy and Johnson. Good push by Star, Short, and the other DTs.

5. Good performances by the special teams.

6. Offensive play calling has to get better during key moments of the game.

7. Double Trouble plays consistently good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cam finds the consistency that he's been missing from time to time.

2. The defense as a whole moves forward from the "bend until we're about to snap" mentality to a more aggressive nature.

3. Lotulelei and Short give the defense what they've been lacking up front, stifling opposing running games and push the pocket enough to cover up some weakness in the secondary.

4. The secondary does their jobs, and nothing more. Solid, but not spectacular, and the overall defense is still built around the front seven.

5. The new competition at WR creates production from the #2 and #3 receivers.

6. The playcalling becomes more consistent, less fancy, and our good players (see Olsen vs Seattle last year) don't get forgotten in games.

7. The running game continues on with its strong suits; power football and fewer gimicky running plays. Eliminates negative plays.

8. The stable of return men (Ginn, Barner, Adams, Pilares) create a similar competitive nature to that aforementioned at WR, and sparks something on the special teams.

9. Cam Newton, Steve Smith, Ryan Kalil, and Jon Beason stay healthy.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Ron Rivera is better at situational coaching. Two minute and four minute offenses are effective at scoring or draining the clock. Prevent defense starts to work or is abandoned.

2. Mike Shula brings back the power running and shorter routes. Never thought I'd be asking for that in today's league, but... that is what works for us. Doesn't call the option on 3rd/4th and 1 either.

3. We don't lose significant players to injury... we've had 18 players go on IR in each of the past two years. Whether its Jon Beason, Ryan Kalil, Chris Gamble, Ron Edwards, Thomas Davis, Jonathan Stewart... important starters need to suited up on Sunday.

4. Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short, or Colin Cole step up as contributors. Nothing can be worse than Sione Fua. If those three guys can just be average we will have massive improvement.

5. Greg Hardy continues his ascension into the great DEs. Frank Alexander and Mario Addison help in the rotation.

6. Brandon LaFell or Domenik Hixon becomes a legitimate #2.

7. Josh Norman, Josh Thomas, Mike Mitchell, Robert Lester, Melvin White, Haruki Nakamura, Captain Munnerlyn, James Dockery, Colin Jones... whoever is back there with Charles Godfrey... don't give up huge plays and tackle whoever they're covering.

8. Special teams doesn't completely flub it. We've had the absolute worst special teams in each of Rivera's years. Mare and Medlock sucked. Nortman is a huge disappointment. Punt returning has been a joke... Kealoha shows potential with kicks at least. Coverage has been consistently horrible. Hopefully Pilares or Ginn can step up. Gano really worries me, as does Nortman.

9. Run game doesn't come out of the gate slowly. It usually does. Need to be able to step it up against tough teams like the Seahawks and Giants.

10. And finally, Cam is consistent like in the last quarter of his seasons... if he can do 60% with a 7.5+ YPA while keeping the turnovers down I don't see why we wouldn't be one of the deadliest teams in the league.

I think that covers just about everything. I think it is OK to assume that guys like Smitty, Olsen, Keek, CJ, etc will produce week in and out so I didn't mention them at all...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beating Seattle to start the season would set the playoff tone right from the start.

I read the Panthers were 14 mil under the cap. I would be great if some late season cut at CB, WR or S would become available.
wizardg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you guys aren't in the super bowl yet but its interesting reading what things you guys thought/think are needed to get to the big one.

Go Panthers!
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
1. Cam reaches Elite level. Right now, he's at the Good QB level, but will need to reach elite status.

2. Secondary plays consistently well. No out of position players, no getting beat, then always creating turnovers and tackling well.

3. More offensive production from the WRs not named Steve Smith.

4. D Line has to be unstoppable. 15+ sacks for Hardy and Johnson. Good push by Star, Short, and the other DTs.

5. Good performances by the special teams.

6. Offensive play calling has to get better during key moments of the game.

7. Double Trouble plays consistently good.

Going into the Post season, this post is spot on. Laughing
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Zithers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang im so smart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: