Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank your top Defensive Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Rank your top Defensive Players Reply with quote

If you could humor me. I am just compling lists of the top ten Ds and how they rank their players. If you could include if a player is irreplaceable or if you would like to see them gone next year. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Charles Johnson
2. Luke Kuechly
3. Greg Hardy
4. Thomas Davis
5. Star Lotulelei
6. Dwan Edwards
7. Mike Mitchell
8. Captain Munnerlyn
9. Kawaan Short
10. Colin Cole

This is purely based on the entire season, not the last couple of weeks where Hardy exploded. I ranked Hardy lower because I felt that Hardy did struggle a little bit while Johnson was out, but feel that he could easily turn it on to be better than Johnson, he just has to get there.

As for irreplaceable: Johnson or Hardy (not both, need at least one), Kuechly, Davis, and Lotulelei.

Our DL made us this year, which is why just about everyone that played in our DL rotation made the list, minus some of our rotational ends.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Charles Johnson
2. Luke Kuechly
3. Greg Hardy
4. Star Lotulelei
5. Thomas Davis
6. Mike Mitchell
7. Captain Munnerlyn
8. Dwan Edwards
9. Chase Blackburn
10. Quentin Mikell

I'm just ranking "starters" here, I'd have Kawaan Short ahead of Blackburn/Mikell for sure.

Johnson/Kuechly are irreplaceable right now. Hardy is very close to that level.

Star and Davis would be a great two players to start out a D with, so even if we lose Hardy we're in good shape as far as overall talent goes. Mike Mitchell has had a career year, a great "enforcer" type at safety. Definitely someone we need to retain.

I expect a few people to disagree with my ranking of Captain, but he's been solid overall in coverage, playing a lot in the slot against quicker receivers, and he's added some versatility to the defense with blitzes.

Dwan Edwards, Chase Blackburn, and Quentin Mikell are glorified stopgaps at this point. Short (2nd round pick) has played very well in rotation at DT, so he'll eventually take over for Edwards. Same thing with 5th round rookie AJ Klein and Chase Blackburn. Robert Lester could be in a similar position, but he hasn't shown nearly the ability that Short/Klein have. But if we were forced to start him at SS, we'd be okay.

I think a realistic scenario this offseason would be to lose Hardy, but retain Mitchell and Munnerlyn. In this situation, Frank Alexander likely gets the start at DE, with a heavy rotation of Mario Addison and probably a mid/late round pick for competition with some of the younger pass rushers we have.

Mitchell has just been too valuable to the defense, so its likely that Charles Godfrey is released. He's a solid safety as well, just never had the same impact on the defense. Munnerlyn and Melvin White as the starting corners doesn't look like an inspiring possibility, but its likely, with us adding a rookie fairly early in the draft.
ScottJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Luke Kuechly
2. Charles Johnson
3. Greg Hardy
4. Thomas Davis
5. Star Lotulelei
6. Mike Mitchell
7. Captain Munnerlyn
8. Chase Blackburn
9. Dwan Edwards
10. Quentin Mikell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: