Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason: other positions besides QB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicjaguar18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Offseason: other positions besides QB? Reply with quote

There seem to be several threads discussing what we should do about the QB situation this offseason. While QB is the major concern, this team has other pressing needs as well.

So what else do you think needs to be addressed in the draft? Any FA's of note who you think would be worth signing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interior OL is a major concern, and DE too, RB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could use another OLB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if we could address pretty much anything and everything position wise. But realistically, it's gonna have to be narrowed down a bit. Laughing

Outside of QB, i'd agree with the above...

Interior O-Line should be a priority. We need a LG and C for sure.

The entire D-Line could use some help pretty much anywhere along the line; LEO, DE, DT. Just adding more talent wherever along that front should be a priority.

Finding a RB to take the reins from MJD is also something that needs to be looked at. I think we'll probably want to bring in a serviceable vet to complement whatever else we have...be that MJD or someone from outside the organization. But we need some talented youth at the position to take over.

I think those three are the biggest ones. But really, there isn't a position other than Punter/Kicker, SS, LT, that we couldn't stand to spend some picks on improving if the opportunity is there. Lots of flexibility.

I think even at WR, despite Shorts III and Blackmon looking like a solid duo, and Sanders+Brown emerging as decent depth options...it wouldn't be bad at all to spend a pick on some insurance and depth there. Blackmon's future is a bit murky, and Shorts III has had some nagging health concerns off and on. It'd be really nice to add a potential #2WR type with a lot of size and that redzone jump-ball type ability.

We could use another solid CB to play opposite Gratz long term and just to add depth to a position where depth is always a concern. If Caldwell+Bradley can mine some of these guys out of the later rounds, that definitely seems like a solid investment of some of those picks.

If we're looking at moving on from Marcedes Lewis and his big $$$ contract, finding a replacement at TE would be a solid move...even if he's sticking around, it wouldn't hurt to add there.

The OLB play of late hasn't been too bad, but i think it's still a position that could be addressed if the right talent is there. We could certainly stand to upgrade the position.

Really, pretty much just talent anywhere. But QB obviously...followed by Interior O-Line, D-Line, and RB are probably the ones i'd put at the top of the priority list, personally.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with what tugboat said, but I'll say that our need for a WR is the same need for a TE. In essence, if we get one, I think the other becomes less of a need. We still need blocking talent at TE, but those aren't too hard to come by. The need is for 1. Marcedes to build on what he's done the past few weeks as a pass catcher or 2. Get a WR or TE that can add some physical nature to the passing game. I feel like 1 is less likely to happen than I would like.

Going down the list, we need a RB, a WR/TE (as outlined above), a LG, a C, maybe a RG, a LEO, maybe a 1-tech and 5-tech, maybe a coule OLBs, a CB

I think Alualu (yes, him), Marks, Poz, Gratz, Cyp and Evans have all been solid starters on D, and the OLBs have been passable. None of them are stars, though Poz has played at that level the last few weeks and Gratz & Cyp could get there. We're going to need some stars if the D is to take the next step though. Ideally those will come at the positions we have largest need; getting a Wilfork type guy at the 1-tech through the draft, a 12+ sack guy at LEO, a Daryl Smith type at one of the OLB spots, etc. but if those have to come in and go over our solid, but not great players, that's okay too.

And that's just starters, though the WR wouldn't exactly be a starter. Then we have a pretty big need for depth everywhere except LT if Bradfield is retained.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Telvin Smith is a near-perfect fit at WLB.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
I think Telvin Smith is a near-perfect fit at WLB.

I can dig that.

iPwn wrote:
I'll say that our need for a WR is the same need for a TE. In essence, if we get one, I think the other becomes less of a need. We still need blocking talent at TE, but those aren't too hard to come by. The need is for 1. Marcedes to build on what he's done the past few weeks as a pass catcher or 2. Get a WR or TE that can add some physical nature to the passing game. I feel like 1 is less likely to happen than I would like.

I think that's a fair assessment. I do wonder about the value, as those athletic freak TE/WR hybrid types tend to have a premium placed on them, whereas a more limited redzone WR may not. So you're probably talking about investing a higher pick...but then, it would be a 'two birds with one stone' scenario, which is always a bonus. Either way could really address the issue though.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a couple guys who might hit the free agent market who could be elite LEOs if Dave wants to spend on a guy.

There will probably be a couple o-linemen he could go after too.

- Best since day one -
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I think there's a couple guys who might hit the free agent market who could be elite LEOs if Dave wants to spend on a guy.

Michael Johnson and Alex Mack

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Big Yes to Alex Mack if he hits the market. Michael Johnson, i'm not so sold on. He's a decent player...but i get the sense he could be one of those 'pretty good players' who end up getting 'extremely good money' with a few teams chasing them. ie. I could see him getting 'difference maker money', to be just a 'solid player'.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Greg Hardy, John Asamoah and Zane Beadles too.

One of Johnsom/Hardy for LEO
Mack for C
Beadles for LG

Boom

- Best since day one -
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I think we have a decent shot to get a few big name FA's with Bradley getting high praise and us not looking like the worst team ever anymore. Michael Johnson and/or Mack would be amazing signings. We just have too many needs to be able to expect to get it in the draft.

#BortlesKombat
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Mack for C
Beadles for LG

Boom

I thought I heard that Hardy was likely back to CAR? If not, I think i'd like him more than Johnson, although it's close.

#BortlesKombat
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Mack for C
Beadles for LG

Boom

Beadles has struggled, especially back when the Broncos still ran the ZBS

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to bring in Alex Mack but isnt there some concern with Johnson and Hardy that they thrived on incredibly strong DLs? Hardy didnt have much of an interior but he was clearly the #2 pass rusher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: