Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
We just have some crap luck as fans.

We go from All talent and no effort, to all effort and not talent.

Also Scandrick should have stopped trying to get a INT for us. It led to so many completions.

Where you been hiding stranger? Still carrying that sig from the epicness of the '12 FFMD I see. A sig too. Laughing

College season is about to end, so Cal comes out of hiding to talk the Draft. Which prospects do you like thus far, Cal? I have a short list at the moment.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 7h
Where #cowboys JerryTalk started swerving out of control tonite: 'therll be a little different cast of players out here vs Green Bay.' WTF?

Eh? Oh really coach?

Pray tell... Who? Is the 2014 draft this week? What players on the roster would have made a difference?

I can think of two players who would've made a difference had Jerry been smart enough to sign them:

Pat McQuistan
&
LYNN SCOTT!!!!

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

LYNN SCOTT!!!!

Forgot about your Lynn Scott phase. Wink

Anyway, to make a real point:

Many aren't pinpointing the heart of the problem on defense: It's the DLine! The defensive line play is horrendous these last couple months. Selvie had a few surprise plays, Hatcher has been consistent, but no one on this entire rotation or lineup has stood up so far and taken charge up front there.

Ware's been hurt, and hasn't played like we'd hope; Ratliff hurt and now gone; Spencer hurt, and all the other guys who've cycled in would be what, fourth string or cut if they were just about anyplace else? Injuries or not, you need depth that can step up. If you just keep plugging in the cheapest and subpar nothings from around the league to fill in for injured guys, you'll never amount to anything in the NFL. You have to have some guys who can really fill in with a role here or there, because injuries are a big part of the NFL and are ultimately unavoidable. We haven't found anyone who can truly step up and play a good role, and it costs us.

And not just with sacks, pressures, run stopping..but in the overall passing defense. Limit the amount of time a QB has to read the zones and wait for a receiver to find a gap, and your average corners and Corey Websters of the world look like pure coverage talented Morris Claiborne's of the world. The biggest issue for us right now, is that this also works in the reverse.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to have to BLITZ.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:

And leave our struggling secondary out to dry with limited LB help? When you blitz, you take guys out of coverage - I can't see that helping this team much.

As bad as our rush has been and how improving the passrush would help the secondary, the DBs have still not played very well overall and they will need that LB help over the middle. Blitzing isn't always the answer to generating pass rush, especially for a team who is trying to be coverage heavy. Got to get better play from the front four to improve the pass rush in this kinda system, not pull guys out of the main focal point of your defensive system.

Read the Football FAQ!
atran35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
atran35 wrote:

And leave our struggling secondary out to dry with limited LB help? When you blitz, you take guys out of coverage - I can't see that helping this team much.

As bad as our rush has been and how improving the passrush would help the secondary, the DBs have still not played very well overall and they will need that LB help over the middle. Blitzing isn't always the answer to generating pass rush, especially for a team who is trying to be coverage heavy. Got to get better play from the front four to improve the pass rush in this kinda system, not pull guys out of the main focal point of your defensive system.

That's the GAMBLE. We don't have the personnel to conduct a 4 man rush that can get to the QB. Status Quo has showed if we rush 4...opposing QBs have all the time in the world to dismantle us. We are going to have to blitz and disguise it. That's Monte Kiffin job. Additionally, we have COVER corners...these guys should be expected to be on an island.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
atran35 wrote:

That's the GAMBLE. We don't have the personnel to conduct a 4 man rush that can get to the QB. Status Quo has showed if we rush 4...opposing QBs have all the time in the world to dismantle us. We are going to have to blitz and disguise it. That's Monte Kiffin job. Additionally, we have COVER corners...these guys should be expected to be on an island.

Agreed. Part of the reason why the secondary has been getting roasted is because opposing QBs have been able to sit comfortably in the pocket for entire games. The defense needs to be more aggressive in getting to the QB. Carr, Scandrick, and Claiborne should be getting more 1 on 1s (unless they're covering an elite receiver).
atran35

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. 4 man pass rush works when you have 4 descent pass rushers. Ware seems to be playing hurt.
Hayden WHO???
Hatcher is pro bowling.
Selvie is average but shows flashes.

Ratliff was cut.
Spencer is on IR.

The front 4 other than Selvie and MAYBE Ware will look different next year.
Northland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett is 4-22 against teams at or above .500? That is a stinging endictment of him or any coach. If we don't make the playoffs that statistic is more than enough justification to send Garrett packing.
atran35

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Garrett must go.
atran35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...looks like a priority this year draft and FA will be the defense.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a ? for you have has Morris Claiborne played for ya? im a lions fan and enjoyed watching hi play in college
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyguy1609 wrote:
got a ? for you have has Morris Claiborne played for ya? im a lions fan and enjoyed watching hi play in college

Well it's hard to definitively say since he hasn't played all that much of late, struggling with shoulder and hamstring injuries and more recently the loss of his father.

I thought he played pretty competently as a rookie, if not outstanding. Maybe around league average. Most rookie corners struggle so being just okay was encouraging.

This year, though? Ouch. Some want to say it's his shoulder, but I think teams found some things on tape to take advantage of- Eli Manning said before Week 1 that the Giants planned on targeting him in the passing game. Most teams have followed suit, to general success. He seems to struggle with playing the ball in the air, and good, accurate quarterbacks have beaten him pretty routinely on downfield throws. His absence in a few games has by no means helped the pass defense.

I'm one of his bigger critics and you'll find more positives from others. I'm not ready to write him off but suffice it to say that I'd rather have Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Well...looks like a priority this year draft and FA will be the defense.

Wish Claiborne would play so we can trade him. We're not gonna unload Carr with his contract, Scandrick just got guaranteed money, and Moore is fine as a 3rd CB. Invest what pick(s) we get into Dline.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
atran35 wrote:

It IS a gamble - so be careful for what you wish for. Remember that last year, the defense WAS aggressive and DID leave Carr, Clay and Scandrick one on one up the field; and this team got burned then, too.

Going back to a more aggressive approach may help. But it also may make this defense appear even worse than it currently does. Didn't work last year with just about the same group to this one. Why should it now, especially after being trained the 6 months in an entirely different mentality?

The problem is not that we can't figure out ways to get pressure. The problem is that this front four (or front seven for that matter) does not have the capability to get consistent pressure for the last two years or longer.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: