Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DC Next Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
I'd like to at least interview Jim Leavitt from San Francisco. His resume is nice and he has put the immense talent the 9ers have at linebacker in position to succeed.

I'm actually more impressed with Leavitt's resume at K-State. He put together some stout defenses there when Kansas State wasn't exactly a sexy Big XII school to go to.

His resume is rather extensive. He has had playcalling duties before, worked in several systems and as long as he interviews with an aggresive philosophy, I'd want him. We have the offense in place, we just need a defense that forces turnovers and can maintain a lead. They don't have to be great, just servicable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting statistic:

Right now, the Chargers (team) defense rates +25.0% (positive ranking is bad) by Football Outsiders' DVOA ranking. There's not only a huge gap between them and the 31st-ranked Falcons, but average appears to be 0%. The last time they recorded a defense as bad, by their defensive efficiency ranking, was the 2000 Minnesota Vikings; on top of that, in the 12-yr span in between, there's only a few teams that even come close to the ranking they give the Chargers.

Yeah, I think Pagano has to go.. maybe the whole defensive coaching staff...

The only saving grace is that somehow we are only 13th (best) in points allowed /per_game
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is because our offense is so damn efficient. Man, if our defense was simply 2011 bad, we would be running away with the sixth seed.
powderblues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talent is about 75% of the problem on defense, good luck fixing it with just a DC change. We could bring in Rex Ryan and we'd probably still be ranked in the 20's.

We need to draft some studs, I know secondary is our major issue but drafting some front seven depth is more important. As you saw with KC, once Hali and Houston went down their "pro bowl" secondary with Flowers/Berry/etc got exposed.

Front seven is more important, if you can be a top 10 pass rush it doesn't matter how bad your secondary is. Follow the model we had in '05-'07 pretty much. Suspect secondary hidden by an elite pass rush.

And obviously having Ingram and Freeney back next year hopefully will make a big impact. But the way we got bulldozed by Cinci's run game makes me worried about who we have at DE/DT right now.
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderblues wrote:
Talent is about 75% of the problem on defense, good luck fixing it with just a DC change. We could bring in Rex Ryan and we'd probably still be ranked in the 20's.

We need to draft some studs, I know secondary is our major issue but drafting some front seven depth is more important. As you saw with KC, once Hali and Houston went down their "pro bowl" secondary with Flowers/Berry/etc got exposed.

Front seven is more important, if you can be a top 10 pass rush it doesn't matter how bad your secondary is. Follow the model we had in '05-'07 pretty much. Suspect secondary hidden by an elite pass rush.

And obviously having Ingram and Freeney back next year hopefully will make a big impact. But the way we got bulldozed by Cinci's run game makes me worried about who we have at DE/DT right now.

Is the talent this year any worse then it was last year? The only player that we lost from last years defense that played well was Franklin. Don't get me wrong we do have huge needs, but we certainly have enough talent to be ranked in the late-teens/early twenties instead of being in the running as one of the all-time worse defensive units in recent memory.
powderblues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
powderblues wrote:

Is the talent this year any worse then it was last year? The only player that we lost from last years defense that played well was Franklin. Don't get me wrong we do have huge needs, but we certainly have enough talent to be ranked in the late-teens/early twenties instead of being in the running as one of the all-time worse defensive units in recent memory.

Yes it is. As much as we used to hate on Cason + Jammer, they're 10 times a better duo than Cox + Wright/Marshall are and you know it.
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderblues wrote:
game3525 wrote:
powderblues wrote:

Yes it is. As much as we used to hate on Cason + Jammer, they're 10 times a better duo than Cox + Wright/Marshall are and you know it.

Expect they weren't. Both Cason and Jammer graded out as among the worst players at their respective position last year. Honestly, this is more proof that Pagano is a bigger problem then the actually talent. We replaced both starting corners and the new starters have the same problems as the previous starters(lack of press, poor fundamentals, penalties etc.)
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
The only player that we lost from last years defense that played well was Franklin.

What if what we lost wasn't performance, but leadership?

Looking at the players we lost (starters only): Cason, Jammer, Bigby, Spikes, Phillips, Franklin

...I'd agree with you that from a performance standpoint, only Franklin played well. But, that's a lot of veteran talent that was replaced with young players. Perhaps there's a leadership vacuum that hasn't been addressed.. like someone or some players who held others accountable that we're missing.

For reference, these are currently the three oldest players on our defense: Jarret Johnson (32), Eric Weddle and Richard Marshall (28)

If that's the primary culprit, then it doesn't absolve Pagano from responsibility. But, it could give an indication to the type of players that the Chargers target in free agency and also the type of DC that they could seek for next year.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing SP95's 9 garbage sacks hurt. He was far from a consistant force but he was still better then the garbage we were forced to trot out this year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the way the 9er linebackers are swarming Wilson early on it really makes me hopeful we interview Leavitt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: