Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What will it take to make the playoffs next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: What will it take to make the playoffs next season? Reply with quote

Quick fact

Last 2 teams that picked #1 overall made the playoffs the following year

Both teams were good but struggled at QB and when they got that fixed, made some coaching changes

Boom playoffs

What steps need to be taken not just to right the ship long term but to be I. The playoffs next season.

We will have an easier schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, this is the silver lining in this trainwreck season. It is always better to be REALLY bad once in a while and get a few difference makers in the draft than to get stuck in middling 7-9 ish territory like the Titans & Cowboys (although ownership remains their primary problems).

The critical part for me is that we truly strip ourselves of any delusions about this team and avoid rationalizations about this season being about bad luck, injuries, a bad QB, or anything else. You can already see the pathetic Houston press including terminal apologist John McClain lobbying to keep Kubiak and Smith around because we've been "close" so many times this year. My God, that is EXACTLY why they need to go. They are both good, but not good enough to get us over the hump both within games or seasons. Kubiak has always failed in those critical few moments in each game that separate the average coaches from the great ones. I'm less certain about Smith as it's unclear how much sway Kubiak has, but he too has failed to make critical moves that could put us over the hump and the holes on the roster the past few seasons simply have NOT been addressed effectively. It's pretty hard in this day and age to screw up the first 2 rounds of the draft that rarely strays too far off the script, but the great teams make hay in the 3rd-6th and Rick is on a serious losing streak there and his FA signings simply haven't gotten the job done. Failing to fire Marciano was inexcusable and indicative of a soft organization unwilling to make the tough decisions and hold coaches as accountable as players.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the coach & GM situations are settled a similar unbridled delusion-free assessment of personnel needs to happen. The Schaub and Newton stuff is easy. The hard part comes in admitting that those are not the only players favored by the current regime who's talent simply doesn't measure up. Brice McCain isn't too difficult either, but I would submit that Kareem Jackson needs to be on this list. Including last night's 35 yard pass interference, he has now given up 174 yards in penalties this season! There is only one other player in the NFL who has even personally accounted for 100 yards of penalties this season. I'm not certain if it's a record or not, but it is already the most yards given up in the past 5 seasons and he's still got 3 more to go to put it out of reach. I understand that everyone WANTS a first round pick to pan out, but I think it's wishful thinking at this point as this is 4 straight seasons at the top of the penalty charts, including 2 abysmal seasons where he racked up penalties and got torched. You can't separate the ability to occasionally step up and look like a legit starting CB with his inability to learn how to cover without drawing flags and the upside just isn't there as we saw last night where he drew the PI call then still let a ball hit him in the hands and drop to the ground.

I'll weigh in on others too, but in my eyes, Kareem needs to go be someone else's expensive tease. Maybe Rex Ryan can pair him with Ed Reed.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: