Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 nfl mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plucky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: 2014 nfl mock draft Reply with quote

Reasoning: It looks like this year we are middle of the road, which leaves us out of the running for a top quality QB this year. Carson Palmer has signed a 3 year contract and played well enough to start for us another year. Instead of drafting a middle of the pack/project we keep adding quality and depth at other positions until we draft one next year. The OLB position has been pretty poor this year mainly due to injuries. But we also lack that 10 sack rusher. Outside of John Abraham we struggled this year, yes we have depth and solid contributors but we need a star. So here goes my way too early attempt at a mock draft.

2014 NFL MOCK DRAFT

1- KALIL MACK OLB BUFFALO - He falls a little due to the talent he plays with but could be the most complete LB in the class. This pick is due to change for me based solely on combine numbers (In recent years I've studied these numbers in my search for explosiveness and the numbers actually correlate very well but for now I like what I've seen of him)

2- ZACK MARTIN OT ND - He might be a little undersized for an OT, but he has some of the best feet I've seen in recent years, some project him as a guard but I think he is a steal in round 2. I have him my highest rated OT in this years draft)

3-KYLE FULLER CB VIRGINIA TECH - More than likely he won't be here as we get closer to draft time but he is a straight baller. I expect him to rise up draft boards if he hasn't already. Really good cover corner and is really athletic. I was watching tape of Antone Exum (who I also like just wonder about his health) and this kid was all over the place making plays.

4- JOSH MAURO DE STANFORD - CC#2 what can you not like? He has size and has played all over the line. I really expect him to take over dockett's spot in the next year or two. He is always off the ball first and was a 6th-7th round pick earlier this year but has recently shot up, I hope he is still here come draft time.

5- NICKOE WHITLEY FS/SS MISS STATE - Reminds me of Kam Chancellor but with greater ball hawk ability. A prototypical in the box safety but is actually really good in coverage as well. I like this kid 2 years ago, him and Jonathan Banks, injuries has limited him somewhat the past 2 years but if he can stay healthy he would be a steal.

6-JOSH HUFF WR OREGON - Nice size, late round, 4.3 speed? Been looking for someone to extend the field even though our BIG TALL WR's have been doing a good job down the field (they are true toss it up let them make a play WR) but we really need someone to just stretch it. I think he can play slot and also do this task.

So that's early draft with some of my man crushes. Thoughts? comments? I know I'll probably get hammered for no QB but I think we just need a little more talent and production and we can go further than this year. Carson isn't the long term answer but I don't think he is the main liability.
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we're pick at around 16-20 how likely is it that Khalil Mack falls to us? I don't think it's very likely at all unfortunately but I love the pick.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good mock draft.

Would take a bit of luck for those players to fall to 20 of each round, but i can see it happening.

Not sure if Martin is that good, but he is an upgrade on Sowell, which isnt saying much.

Love Fuller pick
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy.

I see the doubt in Mack getting to 18ish range, but I honestly see a couple scenarios where he falls to us. I think there is a decent chance he falls to us. But then we probably get to choose between him and Erving

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
I'd be happy.

I see the doubt in Mack getting to 18ish range, but I honestly see a couple scenarios where he falls to us. I think there is a decent chance he falls to us. But then we probably get to choose between him and Erving

I also doubt he falls because he is considered top 10. The only reason he may fall is bc he is a better fit for the 3-4 and more teams run a 4-3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack has been good not great so not top 10 material on film
mtdowner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:

94 tackles 10.5 sacks 3 ints. If you go to Buffalo, you gotta play great to be drafted in the 1st rd. Add on a great combine and he's a top 15 lock if not top 10
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

94 tackles 10.5 sacks 3 ints. If you go to Buffalo, you gotta play great to be drafted in the 1st rd. Add on a great combine and he's a top 15 lock if not top 10

Exactly. Khalil Mack on this defense would be insane. Dude is a beast and I think he can be a 10+ sack guy every year but he's not just limited to rushing the qb because he is a good overall OLB.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 nfl mock draft Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
2- ZACK MARTIN OT ND - He might be a little undersized for an OT, but he has some of the best feet I've seen in recent years, some project him as a guard but I think he is a steal in round 2. I have him my highest rated OT in this years draft)

I was really skeptical of this pick because everything you read about this guy says he needs to move to guard in the NFL but I just watched 3 of his games against quality opponents and wow this guy plays LT very well. He's listed at 6'4" but honestly if he was listed at 6'5", which seems to be the bench mark for LTs in this league, he'd be talked about more as a tackle than a guard. He has very good feet and plays with balance and control on every play. He's very consistent in pass protection. In the run game, two things stand out, 1. he's very aggressive, blocks through the whistle and 2. he's a very good second level blocker.

He's very similar to David Bakhtiari (4th round pick in 2013) as a prospect only Martin has a stronger anchor and he's more proven against top level competition. Bakhtiari also had concerns about his length to play LT but he's played very good there for the Packers in place of the injured Bulauga (except for the last 2 weeks).

I agree he'd be a steal in round 2.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 nfl mock draft Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
Plucky wrote:

I was really skeptical of this pick because everything you read about this guy says he needs to move to guard in the NFL but I just watched 3 of his games against quality opponents and wow this guy plays LT very well. He's listed at 6'4" but honestly if he was listed at 6'5", which seems to be the bench mark for LTs in this league, he'd be talked about more as a tackle than a guard. He has very good feet and plays with balance and control on every play. He's very consistent in pass protection. In the run game, two things stand out, 1. he's very aggressive, blocks through the whistle and 2. he's a very good second level blocker.

He's very similar to David Bakhtiari (4th round pick in 2013) as a prospect only Martin has a stronger anchor and he's more proven against top level competition. Bakhtiari also had concerns about his length to play LT but he's played very good there for the Packers in place of the injured Bulauga (except for the last 2 weeks).

short arms play a factor. He might have short arms.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 nfl mock draft Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
Plucky wrote:

short arms play a factor. He might have short arms.

Arm length does play a role to an extent but that can be compensated for, lack of foot speed really can't. The most important thing for a LT is their feet and Martin has that.

Bakhtiari had 34" arms. Not great not bad. Any shorter than that and you start to worry. Won't know Martin's arm length until the predraft stuff.
Plucky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx apollo and yes measurements do come into play and obviously I wont know those until draft time (this is the wayy too early mock draft lol) but yes on tape this guy can play. I did make a mistake I should have said "ONE" of my highest rated OT's. But all in all I like what I see.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powers has been very inconsistent. A CB is a need in this draft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:

Definitely. CB, S, OLB. Those are our needs on defense. Hopefully we upgrade the secondary through FA.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:

Definitely. CB, S, OLB. Those are our needs on defense. Hopefully we upgrade the secondary through FA.

I think guys like Powers & Cason hit the market cause they're average at best. I think players like Byrd, Verner & Talib will be out of our price range.

Say we're picking around #20 and Dennard/Gilbert/Clinton-Dix are available they will be tough to pass on...

The Rebuild Has Begun...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: