Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Fanaika been given enough credit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoggyBilling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Has Fanaika been given enough credit? Reply with quote

Ok first crack at this so here goes.

Losing Cooper in preseason meant we lost our most talented lineman, and future building-block, for the year when he was supposed to be finding his feet at the pro level.

Paul Fanaika stepped up, another player pulled in from the cold by Steve Keim and has since started every game this season at RG. Only 27 with his best years ahead of him and the versatility to potentially cover RT as well.

Has he been great? No. Has he made mistakes? Of course. But he has been holding down that spot on a team that is now won 7 out of 11 games. He's done enough to get the job done and deserves some recognition for his play this season. With College's situation up in the air he may very well get another opportunity next season and, at the very worst, he is a quality back-up capable of stepping in.

We have proven we can win with this patchwork line and a worst case scenario for next season could be: Sowell-Cooper-Sendlein-Fanaika-Massie

Not world-beaters by any stretch of the imagination but capable, young and with a splash of x-factor. Although a LT of the future would be ace.

With Cooper on the mend we effectively have two first round picks next year and that is an enticing prospect for an already exciting team.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I've paid too much attention to his individual performance but I think he's probably better suited as a backup. Hoping Earl Watford can become the guard he's capable of and become the other starter. If not, and if we release Colledge, Xavier Su'a-Filo OG from UCLA is an athletic guard that might be around in the 3rd rd. Has shown the ability to step in and play tackle as well.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he done well this year?

Answer has to be yes.

Is he a long term starter, then that is no.

I like that UCLA guy too, plus pretty much all the guards this year.

I would love one in the 2nd, but we keep winning and i feel all top 4 guards will be gone by pick 50 in the second round.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not paid too much attention to him but would have to agree with the sentiment that everyone is saying. Not someone who I would want to start going into next season, but would want him back and keep him around as a backup. I would rather have Fanaika as a starter going into next season than Sowell.

Justo on the sig
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is signed for another year at least, good to know the backups can play ok though.
JLW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit for what? Playing poorly?

I'm not sure being handed a starting job and playing like a backup deserves much praise.
HighMotorGuy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is horrible just like the rest of the oline
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLW wrote:

I'm not sure being handed a starting job and playing like a backup deserves much praise.

He has been serviceable, that is all you want isnt it?

I havent seen Philly game, but it seems like the whole team played poorly.
JLW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
JLW wrote:

He has been serviceable, that is all you want isnt it?

I havent seen Philly game, but it seems like the whole team played poorly.

Sure, that's about all you can ask for. But is it really deserving of more credit?

He certainly hasn't played well.

The Philly game was a pretty bad showing from the offensive line as a whole. Sowell was pathetic and I think Colledge probably had his worst game of the year. I'd need to watch it again to really be sure on that, though.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take your word for it.

But credit can be given even if you have been serviceable.
SoggyBilling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact he has stepped in and remained largely unnoticed can be viewed as a positive. Its probably because we are winning but the line has received much less stick for their play this year compared to the previous 2 or 3 seasons.

I personally think that Harold Goodwin and the coaching staff deserved credit for getting the most out of limited players like Fanaika in a system that puts them under a lot of pressure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: