Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Thanksgiving Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Jrry32 Thanksgiving Mock Reply with quote

Alright guys, here's another shot at a possibility for our off-season.

Release
Harvey Dahl - 4 million saved
Cortland Finnegan - 4 million saved
Kendall Langford - 4 million saved

Re-sign
Rodger Saffold - 16 million over 4 years(max value of 24 million with incentives related to performance)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - 6 million over 3 years

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #5 - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Analysis: Clowney goes to Atlanta or else he'd be the pick here. Matthews serves as the RT while Barksdale is a valuable swing tackle and gets a shot at the OG position.

Round 1 Pick #17 - Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Analysis: Has the body type that Waufle and Fisher loves. Amazing athlete that can penetrate. Perfect complement to Brockers.

Round 2 Pick #17 - LaMarcus Joyner CB/S Florida State
Analysis: Joyner is very much like the Honey Badger without the concerns. An undersized playmaker that can play slot CB or FS for you.

Round 3 Pick #17 - Ahmad Dixon FS Baylor
Analysis: Dixon is a hard hitting safety with athleticism and the ability to play downhill against the run.

Round 4 Pick #17 - Ja'Wuan James T/G Tennessee
Analysis: James is big but bends well. I think he's too heavy-legged to be a good RT but he's mean, finishes his blocks and gets push in the run game. I think he's a great fit at RG as he has surprising balance for his lack of foot speed and is very good at identifying and making blocks on the second level.

Round 5 Pick #17 - David Fales QB San Jose State
Analysis: Fales has a weak arm but he anticipates routes well, is mobile, has a quick release and he's accurate. He's excellent backup material because he's a smart game manager.

Round 6 Pick #17 - Victor Hampton CB South Carolina
Analysis: Vic is a frustrating player as a SC fan. Why? He has the tools to be a very good CB but he is prone to a lot of mental errors(plays stupid). He's a project pick to help our depth at the position and see if we can develop him.

Round 7 Pick #17 - Garrison Smith DT Georgia
Analysis: Another talented player that had underachieved up until this year. He's added DT depth behind Hageman and Brockers. Another option here would be additional depth on the OL in OG Spencer Long.

Starting Line-up:
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Tavon Austin
WR: Stedman Bailey(hopefully)
WR: Brian Quick(hopefully)
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Scott Wells
RG: Joe Barksdale
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Ra'Shede Hageman
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
CB: Janoris Jenkins
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Ahmad Dixon
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker

As you can see, I decided not to make any big FA splashes. Just keep our own and build via the draft. Think it'll be a smart move in prepping for the salary cap to increase in the immediate future. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of this FA class. I wouldn't mind, though, if we signed a guy like Anquan Boldin to give our young WRs some veteran leadership.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Last edited by jrry32 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I like it to an extent, am definitely warming up to Hageman. He is that typical big freak athlete that our FO and Fisher love. I love that you resigned Saffold because as Im sure you know Ive been talking about that one for a couple weeks now. Im not sold on Fales, but I have to watch more.

I really want to do an updated mock, but I think ill wait another week or two when we hold a top 3 pick Wink
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Very interesting. I like it to an extent, am definitely warming up to Hageman. He is that typical big freak athlete that our FO and Fisher love. I love that you resigned Saffold because as Im sure you know Ive been talking about that one for a couple weeks now. Im not sold on Fales, but I have to watch more.

I really want to do an updated mock, but I think ill wait another week or two when we hold a top 3 pick Wink

Saffold scares me but I figure if we can get him back at a reasonable contract due to his history and draft some depth, it's worth the risk because of his versatility and the talent he's shown at OG.

As far as Fales...he is what he is. Backup QB/Game Manager type. I think he compares favorably to Shaun Hill. Lacks an arm but he understands how to throw a WR open, where to place the ball, when to get the ball out and has the mobility to move around some.

Not a starter but a guy that can come in if there's an injury and manage the game effectively.

holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a man crush on Jake Matthews dating back to last year, I would be very happy if he was our pick. Seems like a lot of people on here really like Hageman. I'm not going to act like I've seen any Minnesota games so I'll take your word that he's going to be good in our system.

Really like how you've added nice depth to the Secondary, I have seen Joyner a few times and am a big fan. I hate Fales, but in the 5th round to fill the backup Quarterback job, I can live with it. And interesting that you don't have us at least taking one linebacker in the draft, do you like some of these young guys currently on the roster?

Also, I like your thinking with Saffold but I doubt he stays. If he finishes out the year some team is going to fork over a lot of cash for him to play Tackle.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a mater of Procedure, Im pretty sure cutting Cortland saves us $7 million, as the Roster Bonus isnt guaranteed.

Dont think Saffold is coming back. He is going to want to be a Tackle, and some team will be desperate.

Jake Matthews should be the guy everyone wants at this point.

I had Hageman in the 2nd to us pre-season, now he has exploded. I would love to have him, But I dont understand why it needs to be at the expense of Langford? What are we gaining by cutting Langford? we are just creating another hole that doesnt need to be filled. Yes I understand we can save money, but then the 3rd DT is still Jermelle Cudjo. Who has been pretty bad and even he costs over $1mil. Unless we are completely strapped for cash, and with cutting Finny, Dahl and a likely restructure of bradford I dont think we will be, I would like to have the DT Depth as much as we rotate the DL.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.

Joyner is my biggest man-crush for the draft.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
Slot Machine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I don't follow college football as close as I'd like but looks good. Do you have a problem with 2 Jakes as our tackles? I'm having trouble thinking of a good nickname.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
I've had a man crush on Jake Matthews dating back to last year, I would be very happy if he was our pick. Seems like a lot of people on here really like Hageman. I'm not going to act like I've seen any Minnesota games so I'll take your word that he's going to be good in our system.

Really like how you've added nice depth to the Secondary, I have seen Joyner a few times and am a big fan. I hate Fales, but in the 5th round to fill the backup Quarterback job, I can live with it. And interesting that you don't have us at least taking one linebacker in the draft, do you like some of these young guys currently on the roster?

Also, I like your thinking with Saffold but I doubt he stays. If he finishes out the year some team is going to fork over a lot of cash for him to play Tackle.

Why the hate for Fales?

I feel good about our LBs if we get Dunbar back. We have some young depth that can play STs and a good starting unit.

StLunatic88 wrote:
Just a mater of Procedure, Im pretty sure cutting Cortland saves us $7 million, as the Roster Bonus isnt guaranteed.

Dont think Saffold is coming back. He is going to want to be a Tackle, and some team will be desperate.

Jake Matthews should be the guy everyone wants at this point.

I had Hageman in the 2nd to us pre-season, now he has exploded. I would love to have him, But I dont understand why it needs to be at the expense of Langford? What are we gaining by cutting Langford? we are just creating another hole that doesnt need to be filled. Yes I understand we can save money, but then the 3rd DT is still Jermelle Cudjo. Who has been pretty bad and even he costs over $1mil. Unless we are completely strapped for cash, and with cutting Finny, Dahl and a likely restructure of bradford I dont think we will be, I would like to have the DT Depth as much as we rotate the DL.

I didn't think so either but reread spotrac and apparently, it became guaranteed after LAST YEAR'S Super Bowl...unless there's a typo.

We gain cap room by cutting Langford. I've been underwhelmed by him. I drafted additional depth in Garrison Smith in the 7th.

It would be nice if we restructured Bradford but I'm not sure how we'd do it yet so I haven't added that in.

Saffold may or may not. That injury history will be used against him. That's why I offered him a 4 year 24 million deal(max value). It's just that the final 8 million is very incentive laden.

Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mock, best I've seen on the year. LOVE first 3 picks, especially JOyner, but Dixon is a stud also. Like the Fales pick and he seems like he's be a perfect back up for us.

Happy Thanksgiving
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
yrba1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid draft, I like how we don't make any big FA splashes. Our core talent that's currently under rookie contracts will be asking for a pay day in 2015 and beyond so we best save our cap money for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: