Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Knowshon Moreno to start?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the Denver Broncos leading rusher in 2013-2014?
Ball
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Hillman
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Moreno
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowshon is alright in a limited role, but I'd prefer that he didn't start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Your opinions on him are laughable

Whats so laughable about thinking he doesnt have a chance to play/start? What has Ronnie proven? Ball proven anything? No, neither have. If Knowshon didnt have a chance to play, the team wouldnt have let go of McGahee or would have brought in someone to challenge Knowshon. Facts are facts.

paul-mac wrote:
Ball and Hillman are unknowns

Exactly my point. Neither have proven anything and should never be given the starting RB job, based on proving nothing. However, we are starting to see a scat back only type RB in Hillman and Ball being only a 2 down potential back. Knowshon filled in quite nicely for McGahee last year and IMO can be a nice 3rd down/change-of-pace guy.

paul-mac wrote:
in fact Hillman played very well in the playoffs last year.

Very Well? Thats hilarious. Youre clueless.

paul-mac wrote:
With Moreno, we KNOW he's terrible. Quite frankly he's barely NFL calibre.

Aaaaaaaand.... I just lost all respect in everything you say.

Barely NFL caliber? Yet hes played in the league for 4 years and jumped from the practice squad to the starting lineup last year on the #1 team in the AFC? CLUELESS.

Did you watch the Ravens game? Hillman was fantastic as a lead back in that.

Moreno got the job by default, was never on the practice squad, and played well in like 2 games before going back to being, well, Moreno. There was the game at the colliseum, and then next game, and that was it.
I wouldn't say Hillman was fantastic. I distinctly remember him getting stuffed when we needed to run the clock out. He was actually rather pedestrian in that game.

Hillman isn't a lead back at this point. He lacks the power required of a good inside runner. He has shown a penchant for laying the ball down too. Until that is corrected, he isn't worth a crap.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and rewatched the portions of the Seattle game where Hillman played and honestly, I came away thinking he played alright. The fumbles are worrisome, and frankly unacceptable. Regardless of who it is, be it Hillman, Ball or Moreno, I don't want to see a fumbler in the backfield. Two of three of them have fumbling issues as is.

I saw a few good runs from Hillman, including a good one where he turned the corner and got 1 or 2 yards when he looked dead to rights 3 yards behind the line. He had a run where the line broke down immediately which lost some yards, and he had a run where he appeared, for whatever reason to just run straight into Zane Beadles.

Outside of that though, he got through the first level decently enough. There are some things he does I would correct, such as dancing too much once he gets through his first cut. He needs to get more decisive once he maks that cut and use his speed to his advantage. I thought both he and Ball did a fairly good job of picking up some yardage, but I'd like to see more.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:

I agree, Knowshon can be very good in a limited role. Be the spell back for a power runner.

To me, it doesnt matter who starts. Whoever is made the starter, they will still get spelled by at least one other guy. If Knowshon is named the starter for game 1, I think it means more about how the coaching staff isnt happy with the 2 younger guys at this point than it does about Knowshon earning it.

broncos67 wrote:
Regardless of who it is, be it Hillman, Ball or Moreno, I don't want to see a fumbler in the backfield.

Me too. Over the last couple years, Ive become someone who hates fumblers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Ive been on this train since the draft...

Hillman will get the first crack at being every down back. When he fails, Montee will take over on 1st and 2nd downs and Knowshon will have a strong hold on 3rd downs.

I actually wouldnt mind Montee Ball and Knowshon Moreno playing a majority of the snaps with Hillman spelling Knowshon from time to time.

Agreed. Hillman was sort-of a wasted draft pick.

So after one season, Hillman is a wasted draft pick, but Knowshon Moreno, drafted 12th overall, and behind Hillman (who you say is a waste) and Ball, a 2nd round rookie, is what? A good pick?
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. Hillman is still only 21 years old. He will never be an every down back and likely not live up to his draft satus. (traded up to #67 overall to get him. Confused Embarassed ). However, he can become a productive change of pace /third down back. He just needs to hang on to the damn ball. His small hands were of concern to a few of us after he was drafted. It is correctable as seen with many other fumblers. Tiki Barber comes to mind as does Tatum Bell.

Montee Ball is going to be fine. It will take some time for him to adjust to the nuances that a Peyton Manning offense can bring. He just needs time to learn the responsibilities and technique needed for a protecting the QB. He's willing and most certainly able to get better. Ball could still be that guy we thought he was going to be. Just not in week 1. Which leads us to the OP.

Knowshon Moreno deserves to be and most likely will be the starter going into the opener. He brings a proven skillset that the Broncos need to start the season. Again this doesn't mean Ball and Hillman are busts and all that crap. It means the position is young and Moreno is the veteran that has proven to be capable of getting the job done right now.

I think that's a pretty good analysis. Hopefully they can limit Morenos' carries though. I have no problem with his overall skill set but have serious doubts about his durability.

Might as well run him into the ground (week 6/7?) so our other backs are fresh down the strech Wink
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

I agree, Knowshon can be very good in a limited role. Be the spell back for a power runner.

To me, it doesnt matter who starts. Whoever is made the starter, they will still get spelled by at least one other guy. If Knowshon is named the starter for game 1, I think it means more about how the coaching staff isnt happy with the 2 younger guys at this point than it does about Knowshon earning it.

broncos67 wrote:
Regardless of who it is, be it Hillman, Ball or Moreno, I don't want to see a fumbler in the backfield.

So you constantly hail Knowshon Moreno as the next Barry Sanders, and claim to hate fumblers? Right Laughing

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Montee Ball will be a very poor man's Curtis Martin. Looking back, and I know it's early, the Broncos should have taken Lacy.
Both backs (Ed ad Montee) have questions about their longevity in this league but within a 5 year window, I believe Lacy will smoke Ball in all stats minus receiving.
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
I believe Montee Ball will be a very poor man's Curtis Martin. Looking back, and I know it's early, the Broncos should have taken Lacy.
Both backs (Ed ad Montee) have questions about their longevity in this league but within a 5 year window, I believe Lacy will smoke Ball in all stats minus receiving.

Probably but (I was thinking about this earlier today) if I'm putting myself in the heads of the coaching staff I see exactly why they took Ball over Lacy. We already had a speed back that they obviously like in Hillman and if they took Lacy he would be quickly become a wasted draft pick. Lacy may be the better back (he's big and fast) but by picking Ball you can use the 2 runningback system to keep both guys playing in this league longer, probably longer then Lacy would have/or might last as a #1 featured runner.
BullsandBroncos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ball should get the bulk of the carries on 1st and 2nd down with Moreno being the third down back. Good receiver and good blocker.

Or Hester. Hester isn't fast but the last thing we need is Peyton getting drilled.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BullsandBroncos wrote:
I think Ball should get the bulk of the carries on 1st and 2nd down with Moreno being the third down back. Good receiver and good blocker.

Or Hester. Hester isn't fast but the last thing we need is Peyton getting drilled.

I don't see why we would take Hillman off the field on third down. He's the fastest back on the roster. Hell I would mind seeing Trindon in the backfield on third down

Fify.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

broncos67 wrote:

So you constantly hail Knowshon Moreno as the next Barry Sanders, and claim to hate fumblers? Right Laughing

When did I ever say Barry Sanders? Now your just trolling

The only thing Ive said on this subject is that hes just as good (if not better) than any RB on this roster, and was right behind McGahee as a RB last year. Does he have his faults? Yes, and Ive clearly stated them before. Quit your ignorance.

What pisses me off most about people on this forum, like you, is that no matter what the guy does its viewed as crap. Is he a 1st round bust? Without a doubt. If you have any football intelligence (and I know its hard for you to find some) you have to look past that and look if hes a quality player. He has qualities that can be made as a good limited runner. He had over 100+ combined yards in 4 of his 6 starts last year (with 0 fumbles) and yet hes still trash. Right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
BullsandBroncos wrote:

I don't see why we would take Hillman off the field on third down. He's the fastest back on the roster. Hell I would mind seeing Trindon in the backfield on third down

Blocking > Receiving when Peyton Manning is your QB.
rhuston

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought it might be worth revisiting this topic!!
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I laid an egg here Laughing

Fify.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Well I laid an egg here Laughing

We went at it pretty hard back in August... Laughing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: