Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vickerson injury

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2183
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Vickerson injury Reply with quote

Vickerson has a hip injury and will miss 6 weeks.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10038730/kevin-vickerson-denver-broncos-dislocated-hip-miss-least-6-weeks

He has a dislocated hip that might not require surgery but he will miss the remaining regular season games.

Sylvester Williams will likely start. Sly has been getting more minutes in rotation time.

Losing BigVic raises a big risk because the team has only 3 DTs (Knighton, Sly, Unrein) although Wolfe and Jackson can be pressed in to playing on the inside. Are there any good free agents available? Is Richard Seymour still unsigned?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2378
Location: Deutschland
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's move the discussion out of the KC GDT to here.

This is a huge blow. Although Knighton has outplayed him after a slow start to the season himself, Vickerson was the second steady rock in the middle. I'd see what Sly has to offer from here on out but also take look at Richard Seymour and Corey Williams. Seymour is a 3-4 DE, so perhaps Corey Williams as a former member of the ferocious Detroit 4-3 DT rotation is a better fit. Both would be very good veteran FA help. Knighton, Sly, Unrein mainly and Wolfe and Jackson partly won't be enough, in my opinon.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hibdib31


Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 1375
Location: NoVA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Sly is ready. The first play I saw him out there he was crumpled by a double team. For teams that will look to run on the Broncos we need another body in the DT rotation. Moving Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe inside on passing downs will still be fine, but this majorly impacts running downs.
_________________
Elite...and it's not even close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8191
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing to remember, John Fox loves big bodies in the middle there. Vickerson was asked to beef up in the offseason twice, since Fox has taken over.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hibdib31


Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 1375
Location: NoVA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rewatched the game and tried to stick with Sly. He got better as the game went on and performed his role adequately. I think we can survive.

But my goodness did we have this game. UGH
1 - the unnecessary roughness penalty early in the game on Sly was BS. The NE player hit Woodyard blindly and Sly pushed him back, but the NE player didn't even fall down or anything. HARDLY roughness. On top of it all, the ref had his hand on the flag and threw it AS Sly was pushing the NE player. The ref anticipated a foul, but it was hardly warranted there.
2 - if DT catches the attempted 1 handed catch on the final Denver drive of the fourth, a run or two gives Prater a shot to win the game. He could have caught the ball with Talib boxed out. Would have been an extremely clutch play.
_________________
Elite...and it's not even close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1744
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickerson is done for the season and will be put on season ending IR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8533
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
I just rewatched the game and tried to stick with Sly. He got better as the game went on and performed his role adequately. I think we can survive.

But my goodness did we have this game. UGH
1 - the unnecessary roughness penalty early in the game on Sly was BS. The NE player hit Woodyard blindly and Sly pushed him back, but the NE player didn't even fall down or anything. HARDLY roughness. On top of it all, the ref had his hand on the flag and threw it AS Sly was pushing the NE player. The ref anticipated a foul, but it was hardly warranted there.
2 - if DT catches the attempted 1 handed catch on the final Denver drive of the fourth, a run or two gives Prater a shot to win the game. He could have caught the ball with Talib boxed out. Would have been an extremely clutch play.


There was also the PD by Woodyard that slipped through his fingers near midfield with about 5 or 6 minutes left. Had he got that, we'd have a short field, down by 4 points, and the run game working well to take most of the time off the clock. Instead, Brady got a field goal, and we had to run a hurry-up drive just to tie the game.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
hibdib31


Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 1375
Location: NoVA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:
I just rewatched the game and tried to stick with Sly. He got better as the game went on and performed his role adequately. I think we can survive.

But my goodness did we have this game. UGH
1 - the unnecessary roughness penalty early in the game on Sly was BS. The NE player hit Woodyard blindly and Sly pushed him back, but the NE player didn't even fall down or anything. HARDLY roughness. On top of it all, the ref had his hand on the flag and threw it AS Sly was pushing the NE player. The ref anticipated a foul, but it was hardly warranted there.
2 - if DT catches the attempted 1 handed catch on the final Denver drive of the fourth, a run or two gives Prater a shot to win the game. He could have caught the ball with Talib boxed out. Would have been an extremely clutch play.


There was also the PD by Woodyard that slipped through his fingers near midfield with about 5 or 6 minutes left. Had he got that, we'd have a short field, down by 4 points, and the run game working well to take most of the time off the clock. Instead, Brady got a field goal, and we had to run a hurry-up drive just to tie the game.


Oh man, that was brutal. Woodyard has been such a pick magnet over the past couple of seasons too. That ball had to have bounced off of his hands and facemask a few times at least. I guess you could take that as a testament to how cold it was and his hands just couldn't work.
_________________
Elite...and it's not even close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2378
Location: Deutschland
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver has signed Sione Fua

http://m.denverbroncos.com/s/30843/260?itemPos=2&itemUri=1881554260%2F09227351461296815117104314

Don't know how I feel about this. Fua was briefly moved to OG by his former team, the Panthers.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2183
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pool of free agent DTs is pretty picked over. There's a lot of over-30 players who are out of playing condition.

Fua was drafted as a 3rd-round pick in the 2011 draft by the Panthers so he is still young and has some talent. He started in his rookie year, got injured, and never got his starter role again. He was cut a few weeks ago so he should still be in shape.

Fua looks more like rotation. Sly is likely to get most of the playing time. Fua played NT in college and was a very good run stuffer. He'll probably be mainly a two-down player, replaced by a better rusher on passing plays.

His position move to the offensive line sounds like it was because the Panthers were desperate for OL help.
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2013/11/panthers-release-sione-fua-one-week-after-position-change.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 2002
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sione Fua is probably the single worst defensive player I've ever seen get significant playing time for the Panthers. You better hope he doesn't get on the field. Dude moonwalks every play.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2085
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Denver was looking at Marvin Austin, ex-North Carolina star. He has been cut by Miami and Dallas so far this year. He probably is out there now.

Also, on another Bronco site, someone suggested Everett Dawkins, a rookie out of Florida State.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4218
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fua is terrible. Sadly there isn't much available. I don't see him getting much playing time. If another injury hits our DT's we could be in some trouble.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2183
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I wonder if Denver was looking at Marvin Austin, ex-North Carolina star. He has been cut by Miami and Dallas so far this year. He probably is out there now.


Austin has talent but he suffered a back injury with the Cowboys that would prevent him from playing for a few weeks. It was serious enough that Dallas cut him less than a week after signing him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group