Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KG's 2014 Off-Season #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: KG's 2014 Off-Season #1 Reply with quote

My 1st attempt at this coming off-season. I think the Rams are gonna scale back this year on bigger name FA signings, since they have some cap issues already...

RELEASES & RE-SIGNS:

CB Courtland Finnegan - His cap number is just too big and his play hasn't been his usual self this season...

RG: Harvey Dahl - He's long in the beard. He provides good leadership and depth, so we bring him back at vet minimum...

DT: Kendall Langford - He's had a pretty decent year, but he's never gonna be worth the contract. We give him a chance to come back on a cheaper deal...

OLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar - He's an imporatnt peice in our defense, especially in the run game. We bring him back on a 2 yr deal...

KEY FA SIGNING:

WR Kenny Britt

- His value on the open market is shot. I think Fisher would embrace a reunion. He comes here on a 1 yr - prove it type deal to re-establish himself for a bigger payday either here or somewhere else in 2015. Ram could always use a guy with his ability to challenge Quick and push him for the starting role...

2014 NFL DRAFT:

*TRADE: CLE sends #10 and #41 to STL for #6
- Cleveland has ammunition to move up and get someone they might be targeting (QB perhaps). Having two 1st round picks allows them to give up the 2nd needed to make the trade happen...

1] FS Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (6'1 / 209) - Alabama

- We miss out on the blue chip prospects (Clowney, Matthews) at #6 so we deal back. He's the rangy, center-fielder coverage type safety we've been lacking for years. #9 might be a bit high for him, but I think he'll test very well for a safety at the combine and continue to climb the board...

1] DT Ra'Shede Hageman (6'6 / 313) - Minnesota

- I would have loved to add Louis Nix III with the pick before, but I feel like he could be gone before then. A 3-4 based team is gonna fall in love with him. We pick up the next best DT and probably a guy who is a better fit for our scheme anyway. He has a ton of potential and has really started to put it together on the field this year. He'll provide another big body inside with the ability to wreak havoc in the backfield...

2] OT Brandon Scherff (6'5 / 315) - Iowa

-Iowa continues their strong tradition of NFL lineman. He doesn't have the elite athleticism for a LT and that will help push him down the board. He's everything you'd want from a player on the right-side of the line. He viewed by some scouts as the most pro ready lineman in the draft. We decide to kick him inside for the time being...

2] OG David Yankey (6'4 / 311) - Stanford

- We go back to back on the O-line here. Another big-bodied, heady, NFL ready player. He'll help Jake Long out in the run game (not that he needs it) and he continues to get better and better as a pass blocker as well. He'll step in from day one and solidify the LG spot...

3] CB Kyle Fuller (6'0 / 197) - Virginia Tech

-Fuller was having a great season, until his injury. He's likely out for the rest of the year and possibly into the draft process. This could push him down the board a bit. He has immense awareness for a corner. He's a bigger, physical corner who's not afraid to come up in run support. Can never have enough of these guys in our division...

4] QB Jimmy Garoppolo (6'2 / 220) - Eastern Illinois

- A small school prospect who's garnering a lot of buzz for his play. A lot of Tony Romo comparisons being thrown his way. He's the perfect developmental QB to groom behind Bradford. One of his best attributes is his accuracy...

5] RB Antonio Andrews (5'11 / 213) - Western Kentucky

- An under the radar back. He has good hands out of the backfield and has good vision to find the holes. Shows some wiggle in space as well. We fine another potential 5th round RB gem...

6] FB Jay Prosch (6'0 / 259) - Auburn

- This guy is an absolute sledgehammer lead blocker. Very good special teams player as well at Auburn. Everything we need from the position...

7] LB Jordan Tripp (6'3 / 238) - Montana

- Need to add some more outside linebacker depth. Nice read and react player with good size and ability to add even more bulk to his frame...

UDFA: OT Justin Britt (6'5 / 313) - Missouri

- Snead has stated how he loves to bring in local area/school kids as UDFA's. Britt has been an anchor on Mizzou's line for years playing all over...

DEPTH CHART:

QB: Sam Bradford / Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Zac Stacy / Antonio Andrews / Benny Cunningham
FB: Jay Prosch
TE: Jared Cook / Lance Kendricks / Corey Harkey
WR: Chris Givens / Austin Pettis
WR: Brian Quick / Kenny Britt
SLOT: Tavon Austin

LT: Jake Long / Justin Britt
LG: David Yankey
C: Scott Wells / Barrett Jones
RG: Brandon Scherff / Harvey Dahl
RT: Joe Barksdale

DE: Robert Quinn / Eugene Sims
DT: Michael Brockers
DT: Ra'Shede Hageman / Kendall Langford
DE: Chris Long, William Hayes
OLB: Alec Ogletree / Ray-Ray Armstrong
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar / Jordan Tripp

CB: Janoris Jenkins / Brandon McGee
CB: Trumaine Johnson / Kyle Fuller
FS: Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix / Rodney McLeod
SS: TJ McDonald

PR: Tavon Austin
KR: Benny Cunningham
P: Johnny Hekker
K: Greg Zuerlein

TommyC376 on the sig...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this! I think we can bring in a better QB, but I wont be too quick to judge since I havent watched any film od the kid.

Love bringing back Britt, love trading back and love the 2nd round landing Yankey and Scherff. There isnt much tape on him apart from a strange 3 min against NW where he was an absolute mauler.

I would be very happy with this.
jjab360

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mock draft, best I've seen yet by far.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be very happy with this if this is how it worked out.

But I don't understand why people keep mocking us to draft d-lineman. As a fan I would say our defensive line is the strongest part of our team.

(if we ended up not signing a WR, and Matthews is gone) I would trade, like you did, down with a team that needs a QB. I would take Lee / Watkins / Evans at #10 and take HaHa Clinton-dix at our second first round pick, probably around 11-15.

I just feel like Clinton-dix will fall to the middle of the round so we can wait on him, but I feel like we need to grab one of the top WRs. Believe me if we signed big-time WR at free agent i'd be all for a different pick but to me WR is just a glaring need for us.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_rams_fan wrote:

But I don't understand why people keep mocking us to draft d-lineman. As a fan I would say our defensive line is the strongest part of our team.

I like Hageman's game and he's the exact type of DT that Wauffle is looking for. He'd be one of the best talents available in my scenario. This guy is could skyrocket after the combine...

It's definitely more of a luxury pick, but you can afford to take chances on talent with multiple high end picks...

TommyC376 on the sig...
stl_rams_fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
stl_rams_fan wrote:

I like Hageman's game and he's the exact type of DT that Wauffle is looking for. He'd be one of the best talents available in my scenario. This guy is could skyrocket after the combine...

It's definitely more of a luxury pick, but you can afford to take chances on talent with multiple high end picks...

yeah I got you. I mean its your mock draft do whatever you want with it. I think its really great overall and I would be very pleased with Hageman
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mock. Like you mentioned, #9 may be too high for Dix.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Britt at all. And I really wasn't impressed by Clinton-Dix's ability in coverage but I am not done with my evaluation of him. Want to see more games.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Britt at all. And I really wasn't impressed by Clinton-Dix's ability in coverage but I am not done with my evaluation of him. Want to see more games.

He can be hit and miss, like all players. Against LSU he got shook by a TE in man coverage, then last week against Miss St he was man in the slot on a seam and ran step for step and turned for the INT. Not judging him soley on his man coverage, because his deep zone ability and read and diagnose plays is where he accels.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

He can be hit and miss, like all players. Against LSU he got shook by a TE in man coverage, then last week against Miss St he was man in the slot on a seam and ran step for step and turned for the INT. Not judging him soley on his man coverage, because his deep zone ability and read and diagnose plays is where he accels.

I was unimpressed by that. Rewatched the TAMU game and he was getting a late jump on most passes and didn't seem to have the range to make plays on balls to the sidelines. But I don't make judgments off of one game.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Rams4eva92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the second round. First off Yankey is going back to school or first round. Secondly I see Scherf as a guard and not a tackle. He is horrible in pass protection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams4eva92 wrote:
I don't like the second round. First off Yankey is going back to school or first round. Secondly I see Scherf as a guard and not a tackle. He is horrible in pass protection.

How do you know Yankey is going back to school?...

And if you read his explaination about Scherff it states that he steps in at RG.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams4eva92 wrote:

Yankey could go back, to early to tell. I don't see him as an OT at the next level and I've seen a lot of scouting reports that have same reservation. He could get a 1st round grade and easily slip to the early to mid 2nd. I think it's irresponsible at this point in the process to rule that out as a possibility...

As I said, we would kick Scherff inside to RG in my scenario. The biggest problem areas in our o-line have been the G spots....

My neighbor is a huge Hawkeye fan and I've seen a lot of Iowa games. Scherff isn't gonna be a LT at the next level, but he'd have no trouble at either spot on the right side of the line...

TommyC376 on the sig...
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

Yah, it was a tough call to put him there that high. I really wanted to have us trade back again, but I thought it might be getting to be overkill. Ultimately, I think he'll test well and end up being picked higher than he should...

I'm still not sold 100% on him. He's a good player, but I see some question marks for a potential top ten pick. I think he's more of a 15-25 range prospect at this point in the process...

TommyC376 on the sig...
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

Yah, it was a tough call to put him there that high. I really wanted to have us trade back again, but I thought it might be getting to be overkill. Ultimately, I think he'll test well and end up being picked higher than he should...

I'm still not sold 100% on him. He's a good player, but I see some question marks for a potential top ten pick. I think he's more of a 15-25 range prospect at this point in the process...

That's more along the lines with what I was thinking. The fact that he plays for Alabama and plays a position of need for our team has elevated some people's feelings on him. He's a good player, but I wouldn't stress on landing him.

As I've said a few times recently, a trade back with one of our picks would put us into a position to draft him, but not otherwise.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: