Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos won't be Breaking Any Scoring Records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Broncos won't be Breaking Any Scoring Records Reply with quote

Looks like Manning won't get a chance to retake the single season TD passes in a season, and the Broncos will not score the most points in the regular in history. However, I am very happy they won't, because they finally learned from last year that a running game is needed for a run at the Super Bowl.

This maybe the reason why Montee got more carries last week even though it "looked" like he fumbled the ball again. I am not sure if Hillman is built for cold weather, but why don't they use him like the Patriots use Kevin Faulk?

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24567460/kiszla-broncos-offense-must-get-tougher-weather-gets
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Broncos won't be Breaking Any Scoring Records Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Looks like Manning won't get a chance to retake the single season TD passes in a season, and the Broncos will not score the most points in the regular in history. However, I am very happy they won't, because they finally learned from last year that a running game is needed for a run at the Super Bowl.

This maybe the reason why Montee got more carries last week even though it "looked" like he fumbled the ball again. I am not sure if Hillman is built for cold weather, but why don't they use him like the Patriots use Kevin Faulk?

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24567460/kiszla-broncos-offense-must-get-tougher-weather-gets

Good find jst! After last week it's almost a statement of the obvious but still makes me happy.

IMO running our O like we did for the 1st part of the season was a recipe for disaster when the teams get better, weather gets colder and stakes get higher.

Last week we played KC's game and beat them at it. If we're to go all the way, we'll need lots more of the same.
TheChosen186

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are going to be unleashing CJ Anderson baby.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the awesome sig.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChosen186 wrote:
They are going to be unleashing CJ Anderson baby.

Probably not for the next couple of weeks. After KC I think they'll start getting him some more touches.
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is just me but I would rather see the Broncos have Ball in 1st/2nd down and have Hillman spell him for 3rd down situations.

I think part of why Ball has struggled so far is because he can't really develop any type of rhythm. Moreno leaves the game and subs in and out in extremely random parts of a drive. Ball comes in randomly and has to do whatever the situation asks him to do. Ball doesn't have much of a chance to develop any rhythm and if he does the rhythm goes away because he has to leave again for Moreno. Ball was not a 3rd down RB/spell RB in Wisconsin but he is here and I think that is why the transition has been tough for him.

RBs is an easy position to transition to from college to the pros but only if the role stays the same. Ball's role was a lot different in Wisconsin than in Denver.

Ball reminds me a lot of the RB the Broncos will see on Sunday and that is Stevan Ridley. Denver should utilize Ball the same way New England utilizes Ridley.

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
RazorStar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need a dedicated fumble on the goalline back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Moreno and I like Ball. I agree one of them needs more carries to establish a feel for the game. I mean, during the Super Bowl years, the Broncos seemed to always be up by half time, and the second of the game it was all Terrell Davis. He got all of this years in the second half...if he did get a lot of yards in the first, we just kind of knew it was a 200 yard game...when was the last time you have seen one of those games from a Denver back?
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePrimeTime12 wrote:
Maybe it is just me but I would rather see the Broncos have Ball in 1st/2nd down and have Hillman spell him for 3rd down situations.

I think part of why Ball has struggled so far is because he can't really develop any type of rhythm. Moreno leaves the game and subs in and out in extremely random parts of a drive. Ball comes in randomly and has to do whatever the situation asks him to do. Ball doesn't have much of a chance to develop any rhythm and if he does the rhythm goes away because he has to leave again for Moreno. Ball was not a 3rd down RB/spell RB in Wisconsin but he is here and I think that is why the transition has been tough for him.

RBs is an easy position to transition to from college to the pros but only if the role stays the same. Ball's role was a lot different in Wisconsin than in Denver.

Ball reminds me a lot of the RB the Broncos will see on Sunday and that is Stevan Ridley. Denver should utilize Ball the same way New England utilizes Ridley.

It's no coincidence that Ball saw his biggest workload of the season last Sunday.

As we move towards a more conventional offense, Ball, who is the best meat-and-potatoes runner on the roster, will start to hoover up the touches.

A big part of the reason why Montee hasn't seen much time, fumble issues aside, is that most of our runs so far have been draws out of the shotgun or at very least from 3/4 receiver sets.

This means it's easier to disguise the draw by putting your blocking/receiving back in the backfield. If we used Montee Ball, then it would be easy to guess that we were going to run a draw.

As we move to more sets with only 2 wide receivers(I think Virgil Green as a blocking H-Back has a big role down the stretch) we can afford to put Ball in the game on early downs, provided he can continue to impress in ball security, and relegate Moreno to third down back.

Then Hillman gets a chance to finally kill off Moreno.
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is basically a bunch of hogwash to me. You all make it sound as if we are going to go power running with two tight ends instead of throw the ball around the yard. You do what you do best. Like it or not, the Broncos are a quick strike offensive team. Explosive as it gets. You can't change your identity midseason and expect to be successful. All this talk about running the ball more is all lip service.
Okta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dont think a "glove" is going to make us score less. I think the coaching staff realized their mistake from last year and are trying to rectify it. If we make it really difficult for teams to sell out to the pass with the wideouts + Orange Julius we have there is no stopping us.

I think the only weakness with this offense is the run and I am very glad they are starting to address it. I dont care about video game numbers, I want a superbowl.

Despite the statistics, we have a very good defense.
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
This is basically a bunch of hogwash to me. You all make it sound as if we are going to go power running with two tight ends instead of throw the ball around the yard. You do what you do best. Like it or not, the Broncos are a quick strike offensive team. Explosive as it gets. You can't change your identity midseason and expect to be successful. All this talk about running the ball more is all lip service.

Well said.
KC_Broncos_Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this "you need a running game in cold weather" is b.s. Denver did fine passing the ball against Baltimore in the playoffs. The lack of quality depth at running back hurt the offense that game. I dont care if they break scoring records or not, but there will be games where the game plan is to run more than pass. The Chiefs game was one of them, with their suspect run defense and Mannings hurt ankles it just made sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: