Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prospect Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective it really boils down to how many $$$$ will be required to sign Pettigrew.

I'm not a fan of TE specialization meaning you carry a blocking TE and a receiving TE. I much prefer the well rounded TE who may not be great but can contribute in all facets of the game.

To start the year he had drop issues but he's taken care of that and has shown the hands everyone believed he possessed.

Grew is an effective blocker, has demonstrated he can catch the ball albeit with some consistency issues. He's a coverage mismatch and provides Stafford a large target. A great deal has been made of his early season drops but for those that like the stats his numbers for drops and reception percentage are top half of the league amongst starters.

If everyone wants the excellent receiving TE I believe the Lions should be looking elsewhere and trying to upgrade the receivers group.

Its most certainly going to boil down to money and where the Lions feel they get the most bang for the buck.the reality of a salary cap league is you have to have a price range established for each position based on position importance and player ability. If you blow the formula for one position you have to recoup the money elsewhere.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
From my perspective it really boils down to how many $$$$ will be required to sign Pettigrew.

I'm not a fan of TE specialization meaning you carry a blocking TE and a receiving TE. I much prefer the well rounded TE who may not be great but can contribute in all facets of the game.

To start the year he had drop issues but he's taken care of that and has shown the hands everyone believed he possessed.

Grew is an effective blocker, has demonstrated he can catch the ball albeit with some consistency issues. He's a coverage mismatch and provides Stafford a large target. A great deal has been made of his early season drops but for those that like the stats his numbers for drops and reception percentage are top half of the league amongst starters.

If everyone wants the excellent receiving TE I believe the Lions should be looking elsewhere and trying to upgrade the receivers group.

Its most certainly going to boil down to money and where the Lions feel they get the most bang for the buck.the reality of a salary cap league is you have to have a price range established for each position based on position importance and player ability. If you blow the formula for one position you have to recoup the money elsewhere.
so your saying you don't think there's a te in this draft who can't offer you both? I'm with you on the money thing but why would he take a paycut? My feeling is we lose him or overpay. He doesn't get enough targets to let you down this year. Stafford doesn't even look at him when the gane is on the line.. he's a good blocker but so us williams with probably about the same recieving ability. If you want a guy wi th both your still gonna have to pay for it or draft pretty high for it. I personally want to move on from Grew..I've seen what he offers and I definitely think the postion can be upgraded. I wouldn't evrn waste my time with him and I'd use his money somewhere else. I'd be looking to sign a cb before him a wr before him..he would be at the bottom of my list. We need better pieces at more important positions
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa in the 3rd round.

Height: 6-7. Weight: 265
Projected 40 Time: 4.65
Projected Round (2014): 2-4
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stafford=legend wrote:
I'm generally a fan of guys who have supposed "higher ceilings" just because I feel as if you're confident in your ability as a coach/team you'll be able to tap that given players potential. But it really depends on what our depth chart looks like, regarding the tight end position of course, as to who I would take since both of them looked very impressive on those highlights. Looking at our tight ends right now (Williams, Pettigrew, and fauria) I might go with Ebron because I love the fact that he's such a dynamic pass-catcher; looks just like a receiver on some plays. We KIND OF had that receiver/tight end hybrid guy with scheffler but he's gone and ebron would do a better-than-adequate job of filling that spot. However, if we did take Seferian-Jenkins instead I wouldn't be displeased at all. I like how after each catch (namely the one at 2:35 in the first vid) he looks to get up the field rather than simply falling down or lunging forward like how many players tend to do. He also has some gronk similarities as you alluded to. A few of those catches and runs were very reminiscent of that.

I'm not picking on you its just I keep hearing commentators talk about the bolded.

I think its a really over played statement that has very limited meaning. Its a fancy way of saying the guy should end up as a better player.

The term, "ceiling," just makes me chuckle. In listening to some of these analysts I've seen them asked point blank why player X has a higher ceiling and it pretty much drew a blank stare as a response.

Good points, but I've come to understand those terms in different lights that help me understand better what I feel is really being said. Maybe these views will resonate with you too.

I view "ceiling" as pure athletic ability. If player A is a better athlete then player B, player A has more potential to be the more dynamic player. It's hard to teach this.

"Floor" usually means, to me, how fundamentally/technically sound the player is. If player B is more sound then player A in this area, chances are he'll be better coming into the league then player A and there's less of a chance that he will be a bust. This can, most of the time, be taught in practice.

So, a high ceiling/low floor player generally takes more time to develop (think JPP/Ansah/Slay) and there is greater risk of them being a bust, but greater reward if they pan out. Low ceiling/high floor players are generally more "shore things" but also generally "top out" in terms of effectiveness because they lack athletic ability (think Grew).

I know this is a very black and white way to look at it, but I think this is what people really mean when they use these terms.

In terms of drafting a TE and bringing Grew back, I would love to resign Grew as a TE2 and draft a high ceiling TE to be a dynamic cog in the pass game. We can afford to take a risk moreso then in years past because Grew has proven to be serviceable. Also, Grew would still get a lot of looks because of his blocking ability in 2 TE sets which would add a very effective dynamic to our offense, especially if whoever we draft is an okay blocker. IIRC Linehan loves 2 TE sets.

Think of this personnel grouping:
WR- CJ
WR- Burleson/whoever
TE- Grew
TE- Ebron (for instance)
RB- Bush

That offers a lot of flexibility to our offense. If Ebron can be a servicable blocker and a dynamic threat, that could throw the defense off balance big time. Motioning Grew to FB, having Grew help block, or sending him out on short routes would complement Ebrons ability to stretch the field. Defenses wouldn't know what to do. It would make our TE screens more effective, too.

Basically, even if we draft a TE I think Grew will still have an important enough role in our offense to warrant paying a reasonable price for him.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

so your saying you don't think there's a te in this draft who can't offer you both? I'm with you on the money thing but why would he take a paycut? My feeling is we lose him or overpay. He doesn't get enough targets to let you down this year. Stafford doesn't even look at him when the gane is on the line.. he's a good blocker but so us williams with probably about the same recieving ability. If you want a guy wi th both your still gonna have to pay for it or draft pretty high for it. I personally want to move on from Grew..I've seen what he offers and I definitely think the postion can be upgraded. I wouldn't evrn waste my time with him and I'd use his money somewhere else. I'd be looking to sign a cb before him a wr before him..he would be at the bottom of my list. We need better pieces at more important positions

The bottom part is what I'm meaning. I don't want to see them use a high pick on a TE. I would much rather add a good #2 WR which I believe adds more to the offence than the difference between Grew and his potential replacement.

I agree they need better pieces at more important positions that why I don't want to see them take a TE in the first two, preferably three rounds.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: